Hardware USB Drives - Mains Powered or Not?

NiceBloke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,

I have a USB powered external caddy, similar to the one here:

http://cablestar.co.uk/products/2.5hddencl...sure-caddy.html

I'm very confident that I have partitioned it correctly (80Gb, whole drive, primary, unformatted) - but I can't get Configurable USB Loader to recognise the drive.

Do I need a caddy that gets its power from the mains rather than being self powered from the USB socket?

Thanks.

G0dLiKe

who needs a title ;)
Trophies
Website
db.tt
XP
Country
United States
Did you try to connect it to the other USB port on the Wii?

The drive needs to be WBFS formatted, go get WBFS manager and format it on your PC.

Then it works.

I have also a USB powered drive.

ozguy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ya. Make sure it is plugged into the USB port closest to the edge of the Wii.

Also, check the power requirements of your drive. A USB port can only supply 500ma (0.5a), so if your drive requires more than that you will need external power.

ViciousXUSMC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im sure just like with PC that some (usually cheaper) hubs can cause problems. Like devices not being recognized.

With a 2.5" USB powered drive I highly recommend you use the cord that most of them come with that has 2 usb plugs on one end and 1 on the other. Its made so that the single side carries data & power and goes into your drive, and the split side has 1 data & power cable and one power only cable so that you can draw power from 2 usb ports to run the drive.

I have like 8 2.5" laptop external drives. From nice WD ones to cheap freebies and I notice that the quality of the drive/enclosure is the main thing that determines how easy it can run off usb power without a powered hub. My WD Elements 400gb drive can run off a single usb port easy but my Asus 80GB freebie needs to use my powered hub to work.

Unless your going to be moving it around often get a 3.5" desktop drive so it uses its own power supply and you wont have to worry about the hub issue, also chances are you will get more storage space and a cheaper price.

NiceBloke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Excellent. Thanks for the tip people. You're right, I hadn't formatted the drive, I thought Configurable USB Loader would do that for me.

So now I have two games on the drive (one I've got as a DVD as well so I know I can play it) and CUL loads, the covers are there, but as soon as I press A to load either game it just hangs. I get the message that its loading the game, but then nothing. What am I missing now? [apart from several IQ points obviously]

Thanks once again.

Vattu

Trophies
XP
Country
what games are they?

Some games needs patching or other configuring before starting. Try installing Wii Sports to the USB-drive! It should work.

NiceBloke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I updated to 42c and the same thing happens
frown.gif
It just sits waiting for the game to load.

I'm wondering if its the drive or caddy I have. I can only get CUL to find the drive in the outer USB socket and sometimes not even then.

Any advice?

NiceBloke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok. I switched the caddy for one that has a USB cable that goes into two sockets - one for power and one for data.

Everything plays perfectly.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: CRAZY HAMBURGER