Dreds25

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ,
New here , bought a switch and USB-C pads are gone , bar 3 ..
Looked at the post by @FXDX which is very detailed and intricate..
just wondering if soldering wire to the back pins is an option ??
Thanks
Dreds

A235A3E3-C136-4587-9A3F-781A0B6B0782.jpeg

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
It is possible. But it's extremely difficult to pull off since the wires desolder so easily and you can't see if they're properly connected to the hidden row of pins. If it was just a few pads missing it would be much easier.

Dreds25

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It is possible. But it's extremely difficult to pull off since the wires desolder so easily and you can't see if they're properly connected to the hidden row of pins. If it was just a few pads missing it would be much easier.

hi ,
Thanks for the reply .. if you flip the board can you see the back part of the pins to solder them directly ?
So just use the 4 legs to hold the port in place ?
The only other way I can think of is solder masking the wires in place leaving them slightly long as most of the upper pads are destroyed (not by me )
I knew it was like this when I bought I thought I’d challenge myself
Thank you

Dreds

Last edited by Dreds25,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
hi ,
Thanks for the reply .. if you flip the board can you see the back part of the pins to solder them directly ?
So just use the 4 legs to hold the port in place ?
The only other way I can think of is solder masking the wires in place leaving them slightly long as most of the upper pads are destroyed (not by me )
I knew it was like this when I bought I thought I’d challenge myself
Thank you

Dreds
I have seen people do trace repairs on the USB-C port on YouTube so I know it's possible, but it was not an easy task, and that was just a few missing pins. You probably won't be able to see the second row of pins at all when the USB-C port is in place. But you might be able to make it work if you're good at soldering with hot air, though it might take multiple tries. Or you might end up making things worse.

Dreds25

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have seen people do trace repairs on the USB-C port on YouTube so I know it's possible, but it was not an easy task, and that was just a few missing pins. You probably won't be able to see the second row of pins at all when the USB-C port is in place. But you might be able to make it work if you're good at soldering with hot air, though it might take multiple tries. Or you might end up making things worse.

Hi ,,,
Thanks again for the reply , yes very true it’s possible but difficult, I’ll give it a try and let you know if it’s successful, thank you
86D7964B-D572-41A8-9AE5-1B9BAAB5D12A.jpeg

I’ll tin these and try and solder a wire to each of the 10 pins and run to corresponding alternative points on the board

dreds

Last edited by Dreds25,

Dreds25

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ,
Ok quick update , going ok soldered wires to back pins , put some mask on just waiting to cure under uv
light .. not the greatest soldering but let’s see , I’m thinking of doing the front pins once it’s on ?
Will the four legs be secure enough for the port ? thanks

Dreds

92FF4AF7-7155-40EE-AD1E-F374CF0C26AC.jpeg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hey Kennyboy, have you found any decent mini Pc for around $200-250? Fast enough to play most Pc games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd say save another $100 anythtwith 8core upgradeable ram I'm thinking about ordering the acemagic still
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, I haven't turn on my OG Xbox one in ages, just did now and ofcourse, 32GB update required, gonna take forever.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Edit: nevermind, I forgot I up-ed my internet speed, only 30 min remaining.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Will a mobo with a M2ssd slot work without a M2ssd installed, using a sata ssd temporary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    As long as sata just point bios to boot to it as main drive
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Is that a compilation of you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    M.2 is more of a luxury you can still boot from Ide if you really wanted to
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I mean as long as the motherboard still has sata ports unless you're still in celeron days
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    wut
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh it has Sata 3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It should still have a Bootable option in bios select drive
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    whats sata?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How you were born
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sata is the type of interface/cable connection of hard drives/disc drives for Pc.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't tell them about old bank drives may explode
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Mini pcs in the 70's
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    128kbs of storage
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do I connect this to my emachine
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The Tattooist of Auschwitz is pretty good so far