Hardware USB-C DP alt mode?

yraverageamongoose

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I recently bought a new USB-C cable that claims to be capable of video output through the DP alt mode protocol, and I was wondering if connecting my switch to a monitor using that cable would harm/brick the console.
The cable

Thanks in advance!

yraverageamongoose

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The MacBook isn't a switch and does not need the switch dock to output video and sound
So the quality is - as you say - trash on the switch because it's dependant on the dock to out put video and sound, and much better on the Macbook because it's able to handle these things independently.

And the bottom line is that although the cable should be able to do video output from the switch without damaging it, there's really no point because of the low quality, right?

orangpelupa

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
why not try it?

btw your link is USB C to USB C.

Personally i use generic USB C to HDMI dongle and UGREEN USB C dongle (HDMI, USB, Card reader, etc). They work fine.

if you are afraid of bricking the switch, plug the dock/dongle/cable to the switch first before plugging it to the display and the charger. Switch video output requires the USB C dongle/dock to be externally powered at x volt (i forgot what the voltage is)

doom95

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
There's nothing slow or sluggish about DP altmode over USB-C. It's legitimate displayport. Now, driving monitors over USB-C without DP alt mode, that's different, and indeed, sucks.

Reactions: RednaxelaNnamtra

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn