US anti-lootbox bill formally introduced, begins to gain political traction

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, May 27, 2019.

1. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Netherworld
    Wow... Not an outright ban. I find it interesting that they actually separated the two.

That said, I still don't know how I feel about this. Basically any game selling random characters like Fire Emblem Heroes will be affected. Also, the accelerator thing may also be too much.

Last edited by KingVamp, May 27, 2019
    JavaScribe likes this.
  2. FoxMcloud5655

FoxMcloud5655 GBATemp Developer

Nov 16, 2015
    United States
    Cornaria
    I don't know. The extremes (left and right) tend to be pretty biased. I lean towards the right myself (if you can even call it that), but I'm 100% for this bill being passed. I've wanted something like this to be passed for a long time; it's the reason why I left the Minecraft server community.

Jack54782 likes this.
  3. Costello

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    I read too fast and missed that part, so my point becomes moot, it’s good to see that this is a bipartisan bill.
    Lets see if a lobby starts meddling with it :D

4. SaberLilly

SaberLilly GBAtemp Regular

May 26, 2017
    United States
    I'm glad they took the time to separate what defines a pay to win lootbox from a cosmetic lootbox, although i wonder what this means for games like World of Warships that might technically fall under "pay to win" as their version of lootboxes contain things like free XP, 1 use flags and camos that give added perks, Doubloons which is their version of premium currency, and lastly, ships that actually would cost real money although the chance of getting one is so slim its not funny.

5. RyanAnayaMc

RyanAnayaMc The ACE

Oct 5, 2015
    United States
    I certainly can agree against loot boxes and other forms of pay to win in games that I've actually paid for. Haven't played many EA games, but I don't like the effects on other games like Call of Duty. Glad about the exemption for cosmetics too, because I like customising my characters with cool cosmetics, DLC since I find nothing wrong with DLC. For free to play games, though, I'm not entirely in full support. I personally quite like my mobile gacha games, and I'm hoping those don't get affected in the end.

6. limpbiz411

limpbiz411 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 12, 2007
    United States
    I'd love to play Overwatch without BS

7. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    What's the bad news? Screw EA and all the companies that are into lootboxes, serves them right

8. Ampersound

Ampersound Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 4, 2018
    Germany
    What about trading card games? I mean technically it's the exact some thing. It doesn't matter if it's digital only or if kids are buying overpriced cardboard, in the end it's p2w lootboxes.

Subtle Demise, rob4 and deinonychus71 like this.
  9. RPG_FAN128

RPG_FAN128 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 13, 2018
    United States
    If worldwide governments are willing to stand up and say this business practice is wrong, it definitely proves what kind of "human beings" who thought up said business practice are like.

findonovan95 and JavaScribe like this.
  10. QuazaRayy

QuazaRayy Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 3, 2019
    United Kingdom
    England
    yeetus!

11. julianuf

julianuf Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 10, 2015
    United States
    Agree 100%. Exempting cosmetics makes absolutely no sense.

findonovan95 likes this.
  12. MiiJack

MiiJack GBAtemp Regular

Sep 13, 2016
    Madagascar
    So Gacha games will be banned from the US?

13. D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R Nephilim

Dec 6, 2008
    United States
    Right=Republican, Left = Democrat. Cheers.

That means next to nothing at all. Plenty of bi-partisan matters have stemmed from Republicans only to get completely shot down by their peers. And yes, often enough only because the majority of Democrats approve.

Not moot whatsoever. See my above reply to Chary. :)

Last edited by D34DL1N3R, May 27, 2019
    kuwanger likes this.
  14. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Netherworld
    Well, if they get too restrictive, that would basically lead to banning anything that's random in a game.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  15. migles

migles All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    China
    Earth-chan
    so what will happen with every mobile game? like thoose clickers with gems and shit? do theese count?
    i mean there is usually a leaderboard and with facebook integration you compete against your friends and obviously who spends money in diamonds\currency gets the upper hand..
    will theese be also banned?

16. murdersbane

murdersbane Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 16, 2016
    United States
    Nothing wrong with cosmetic lootboxs.

A growing trend among people who dislike cosmetic my trends to be they are jobless losers... "Why should we have to pay for it" then why should you have it... Get a job.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I doubt mobile games will change at all.... No one touches the mobile market... And if they did then the us market would just crash and have 0 games.

TBH Its a whole different beast.... But it does have some seriously good games nowadays.

17. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jul 26, 2006
    United States
    The major tactic to shut down bills, of course, is to poison pill them. Got wide support for the "Stop Doing Horrible Things Act"? Include some language that pays for a giant Jesus statue in Texas right beside the also funded new giant abortion clinic. I mean, why let legislation be passed that people want when you can do that *and* get your pet project passed as well that otherwise would never get support?

D34DL1N3R likes this.
  18. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    "Get a job" okay, and using "jobless losers" really? Wow, that's some mighty fine bullshit you have spewing outta your ass there, pal. Maybe you should get a job too and maybe then you can stop defending lootboxes like the little EA loving sycophant you are? What gives you the right to go after those who are jobless. and yet here you are wasting time on the internet.

Games should be completed before release, paying for lootboxes that serve no purpose is a waste of money, if you're going to go after people who complain about lootboxes, and target them for being ""jobless losers" then go piss up a rope. I'd like to see you jobless, then we'll see who has the last laugh.

Last edited by the_randomizer, May 27, 2019
  19. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    time to cleanup up the play store!

20. murdersbane
    This message by murdersbane has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, May 27, 2019, Reason: Bickering.
    May 27, 2019
  21. deinonychus71

deinonychus71 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 12, 2008
    United States
    Chicago
    See America, government regulation doesn't necessarily mean evil.

Now. Thats interesting. Because some practices given as an example arent exactly lootboxes. "Pay to save time" ubisoft content isn't.
    Not that I care mind you, artificially increasing the lifespan of a game (especially solo game, mmo are another topic) is just dumb. But still.