EA defends lootboxes by calling them ethical surprise mechanics, and comparing them to Kinder Eggs

Chary Jun 21, 2019.

Front-page
    Overwatch-LootBox-640x353.

In the latest scrutiny over the biggest modern gaming controversy, lootboxes, the United Kingdom's Digital, Culture, Media, and Sport Committee has called both Epic Games and Electronic Arts into Parliament in order to discern whether lootboxes should be outlawed. With both companies publishing some of the largest video game franchises that include lootboxes as a major mechanic--Fortnite and FIFA, respectively--the Committee has begun an investigation into whether lootboxes are harming consumers. During the meeting, which was held on June 19th, Scotland's National Party MP claimed that studies and evidence showed that lootboxes have a close link to gambling. In response, EA's Vice President of Legal Affairs, Kerry Hopkins, made a few comments in the defense of lootboxes in video games, saying, "We don't call them lootboxes. They are instead referred to as surprise mechanics."

Hopkins continued her statement by stating the following, "We do agree with the UK gambling commission, the Australian gambling commission, and many other gambling commissions that they aren’t gambling, and we also disagree that there’s evidence that shows it leads to gambling. Instead, we think it’s like many other products that people enjoy in a healthy way, and like the element of surprise."

In attempts to further explain EA's stance on preventing lootboxes from being considered gambling, especially towards minors, Hopkins then said "People enjoy surprises, it's been a part of toys for years, like in Kinder Eggs or Hatchimals. [...] Lootboxes are actually quite ethical and quite fun, quite enjoyable to people".

Regardless of EA's own stance on the subject, it appears that smaller European countries do not agree, with Belgium and the Netherlands having outlawed lootboxes, resulting in the removal of those elements from their Belgian and Dutch releases, such as Blizzard and 2K removing the option to pay real money for lootboxes in Overwatch and NBA 2K18. Even in the United States, the Senate has put up a bill that, should it manage to be passed, would also ban pay-to-win microtransactions.

:arrow: Source

Discussion (146 replies)
  1. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    This is a joke right? Trying to subvert the issue and the fact governments are banning them. Oh, EA, you are some piece of work.

2. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    I'm just amused at how EA tried to compare lootboxes to Kinder Eggs, by using something that people in Britain would recognize.

"How do you do, fellow kids Englishmen?"

3. SexySpai

SexySpai xdddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

Jun 16, 2018
    United States
    your mom lol
    Aren't kinder eggs illegal in the U.S?

4. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Not surprising to see the two worst companies in gaming defending this garbage. EA relies on profits from people getting addicted to the gambling mechanics in FIFA, and Epic relies on profits from kids stealing their parents' credit cards to get Fortnite cosmetics.

Last edited by Xzi, Jun 21, 2019
  5. Hoppy

Hoppy GBAtemp Regular

Sep 15, 2015
    United States
    Fluffy Island
    I see them all the time at my local grocery store, so I don't think so. Unless they're pulling off some sneaky tactic to sell em' there...

6. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    In the Murderbox!
    EA is really killing my vibe for gaming, here. These publishers with their toxic attitudes toward consumers has to stop.

7. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    EA, the guys who bought games rights only to fill them with pay to win and are only good at sports games. And whose sports games are so similar you better skip a few years between each ones so at least the newest one looks better.

Also, how many Kinder Eggs can you buy with what one of EA loot boxes cost?

HinaNaru Cutie and Subtle Demise like this.
  8. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    I bet there are still EA shills who will defend them and their games ad infinitum. These are the people who enable them and think they can do no harm.

9. bowser

bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

Sep 1, 2008
    India
    GBAtemp ↑↑↓↓← → ← →BA
    EA's Vice President of Legal Affairs, Kerry Hopkins, made a few comments in the defense of lootboxes in video games, saying, "We don't call them lootboxes. They are instead referred to as surprise mechanics."

Oh, really? Dare you to make them free then.

MicmasH_W, shamzie, sks316 and 7 others like this.
  10. Greymane

Greymane Lurking gbatemp pony

Jul 7, 2015
    Netherlands
    In your closet, watching you clop
    Not so much kinder eggs themselfs, but food that entirely envelops a non edible substance.
    From what i remember reading of that law.

11. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Fifa has lootboxes? A game, that is SOCCER (or FUTBAL for the european friends) have "SURPRISE MECHANICS" :blink:

HinaNaru Cutie and Darksabre72 like this.
  12. gamemasteru03

gamemasteru03 Nintendo nerd

Sep 18, 2016
    United States
    They are illegal because there is a toy inside the egg which you could choke on if you dont open the egg and take the toy out. There are kinder eggs in america which are worse versions which separate the toy from the choclate. The only reason I know this is because I go to the uk every summer and smuggle kinder eggs back to the us to eat ;).

JavaScribe, Subtle Demise and lexarvn like this.
  13. leafeon34

leafeon34 Expecto Patronum!

Sep 30, 2014
    United Kingdom
    AzkaBANNED.
    What about Fire Emblem: Heroes? You earn orbs through gameplay which you use to summon heroes. The hero you get and their star rating is random. You also have the option to buy more orbs using real money.

Last edited by leafeon34, Jun 21, 2019
    HinaNaru Cutie likes this.
  14. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    In the Murderbox!
    Loot boxes are loot boxes. No matter how you advertise em.

15. supergamer368

supergamer368 this isn’t bookworm adventures deluxe

May 22, 2016
    United States
    Zanzibar Island, 5:00 PM
    yeah and just like how you can choke on a kinder egg and die, your wallet can choke on the insane prices of these lootbo- ahem, surprise mechanics, and die.

16. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Yep, and even though I'd love to see them banned outright, I'd also see it as a win if they were limited only to smartphone games.

JavaScribe, Peloisan and Memoir like this.
  17. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    behind a parental advisory sticker
    I am glad they included Hatchimals in that quote because to directly compare a randomly selected digital item to food just because it includes a randomly selected item is stupid ... is the chocolate just trash then?

JavaScribe likes this.
  18. Treeko

Treeko GBAtemp Fan

Sep 29, 2012
    Honestly EA/Activision/Epic games need to stop with the bullshit, why is it that the majority of US based publishers have the most scummiest lootboxes in the industry, I am not against dlc but micro transactions are the worst thing to happen to gaming since mobile gaming.

19. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    EA, challenge nothing