Nintendo to pull their mobile titles from Belgium due to micro-transaction laws

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, May 21, 2019.

Front-page
    H2x1_SmartDevice_FireEmblemHeroes_Book3_image1600w.

As Belgium begins to crack down on games that use micro-transactions and in-game purchases, developers have been forced to change their games for the region due to their new laws. Meanwhile, certain other companies aren't as willing to make such accommodations, resulting in today's official statement made by Nintendo's Belgian branch. Mobile titles Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp and Fire Emblem Heroes will no longer be available for those in Belgium, "due to an unclear situation regarding certain in-game revenue models". On August 27, 2019, service for both games will end, and they will be removed from download. Not only will this affect the two existing titles, but any and all future Nintendo mobile games that use a "gacha" style system will avoid releasing in the country from here on out.

:arrow: Source

Discussion (70 replies)
  1. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Netherworld
    I figured they would be affected by this too. Belgium basically banned all gachas. Just a reminder, EA led to this. Probably would have happened eventually, but still.

SolidMario7 and lordelan like this.
  2. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    I hate these types of games, but I do understand that if they release a version with less dlc, people will find a way to play that version. And upkeep, not worth it to pay developers for another version, sucks for people in Belgium, but they can probably still play with a vpn. (Or if Nintendo is smart a sideloaded app, still tougher for iOS players though)

Last edited by Ericthegreat, May 21, 2019
    FateForWindows likes this.
  3. Kadji

Kadji GBAtemp Regular

Nov 16, 2006
    Germany
    Germany, NRW
    Sucks hard, especially since Nintendo gacha games are always very fair and don't try to nickel and dime you into spending more than you want.
    Heck, Magicarp Jump only allowed you to spend like 30€, after that you had basically "bought" the game and had not to worry about premium currency anymore.

FateForWindows and Baoulettes like this.
  4. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    So in the efforts of "protecting" their citizens, they now get to get the lesser experience of not being able to play those games, even if they want to.

5. Asia81

Asia81 In my Ecchi World <3

Nov 15, 2014
    France
    A country free of micro-transactions?
    Time to move there.

Peloisan, Sephrien, Pleng and 23 others like this.
  6. Snugglevixen

Snugglevixen Princess of Cuddles

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    On your lap.
    If mousetraps were banned, mice would have the lesser experience of not being able to eat peanut butter, even if they wanted to.

7. eyeliner

eyeliner Has an itch needing to be scratched.

Feb 17, 2006
    Portugal
    Good. Belgium, lead the way. I hope more countries follow. I hate paywalls. If nothing else, at least this will help clear the store of not-so-free games that end up being revenously expensive in the long run.

Or crap dollar games that have dlc for "the complete experience".

kamaliw, SilverWah, |<roni&g and 5 others like this.
  8. xalphax

xalphax Internet killed the Ponystar.

Nov 18, 2006
    Croatia
    here'n'there
    Shit like this is why I play retro games almost exclusively nowadays. And I have a backlog that is big enough to last me two lifetimes.

Peninsula and DarkDengar like this.
  9. LightBeam

LightBeam Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 1, 2018
    France
    I really want more countries to follow

10. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    Good, now hopefully more countries would follow making companies realize that this bullshit can't go on anymore. Bring back the 90's era of gaming

Pleng, findonovan95, Zense and 5 others like this.
  11. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    I'm glad that I live in the US.

Deleted_413010 and banjo2 like this.
  12. Skelletonike

Skelletonike ♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀

GBAtemp Patron
    Skelletonike is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 26, 2008
    Portugal
    Steam City
    Nintendo gacha games tend to be very F2P friendly. I have never spent a dime on Heroes or other Nintendo gachas and never had a problem getting characters I wanted. I agree some companies are sketchy in this, while I love FGO, it can be a prick to the users for example.

SolidMario7 and DarthDub like this.
  13. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Netherworld
    Yeah, no. If it gets too bad for lootboxes and gachas, they will just switch to something else that they can get away with. (For better or for worse for us.)

Zense likes this.
  14. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    well that's a problem for then and not now and maybe it won't be worse.

findonovan95 likes this.
  15. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 3, 2018
    United States
    If it was worse companies would already be doing it. They will have to settle for something nearly as bad instead.

Zense likes this.
  16. Eleczoro

Eleczoro Member

Newcomer
    May 17, 2017
    United States
    I’m for the sentiment but a lot of countries seem to have already determined it doesn’t constitute as gambling.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidt...eo-game-publishers-if-it-passes/#237ea0f4676f

17. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Damnit...for a second I thought "mobile" meant...well...pretty much any game on the 3DS or switch (nintendo doesn't have much games you can't carry around anymore, lately :P ).

It's apparently only these two android games (btw...isn't Super Mario Run made by nintendo themselves? :unsure: ). So...I don't really mind.

Then again...it's not much of a "the customers won't stand for it no more!!!!" statement if we're the only country doing it.

18. Bimmel

Bimmel ~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~

Jan 28, 2014
    Gambia, The
    I love the analogy. These games are indeed like mouse traps.

Pleng and findonovan95 like this.
  19. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    good this should happen to all countries micro$ AND loot boxe$ are a cancer to gaming.

Last edited by Bladexdsl, May 21, 2019
  20. Asia81
    This message by Asia81 has been removed from public view by Foxi4, May 21, 2019, Reason: Don't post bait.
    May 21, 2019
  21. Techjunky90
    This message by Techjunky90 has been removed from public view by BORTZ, May 21, 2019, Reason: Whoa dude. Let's not post bait like that.
    May 21, 2019