RELEASE UpToDate - Download firmwares for ChoiDuJour from your Switch !

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by Thomhack, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Thomhack
    OP

Thomhack GBAtemp Regular

Mar 25, 2018
    France
    Hi everyone !
    So today i'm happy to introduce to you my first useful homebrew: UpToDate !

What does that mean ?

It mean with UpToDate you can download the latest firmwares of Nintendo for installing it with ChoiDuJourNX on your banned Switch.

How it work ?

UpToDate will fetch the link of the latest firmware (when available for ChoiDuJour) into the nro and will download the zip of the update from xecuter server
    Easy ?

Planned functionality :
    - UI
    - Select between all firmwares available
    - whatever wants users

Download:

This is actually rewritten and probaly be part of SX OS soon !

Last edited by Thomhack, Dec 17, 2018
    Ninn, Don Jon, Kapeas and 7 others like this.
  2. callmebob

callmebob The Grandpa of Awe!

Jan 24, 2007
    Germany
    Bitburger Brewery (a lot)
    Sounds good, but I doubt this will be allowed.

3. Subtle Demise

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    Why?

4. OrGoN3

OrGoN3 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 23, 2007
    United States
    It's a program that basically just looks for a text file with a plaintext URL of firmware files. Firmware files are Nintendo's property and cannot be redistributed legally. If OP opens their source/github, just look for the text file and that's the illegal firmware file.

5. Subtle Demise

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    Eh, it's free software distributed to people who pruchased a Switch, and it's being downloaded from a Nintendo Switch console instead of through other means. If GBAtemp doesn't want the source here, I support their decision, but I don't support Nintendo trying to take action against it. We paid $300 for a license to use and update the software, shouldn't matter where/how we do so.

6. OrGoN3

OrGoN3 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 23, 2007
    United States
    Sorry, but copyright law and intellectual property law disagree with you wholeheartedly. The files that would be grabbed by this program are illegal to redistribute. Period. Whether you support Nintendo defending their IP or not, has no bearing on this topic.

Draxzelex likes this.
  7. Thomhack
    OP

Thomhack GBAtemp Regular

Mar 25, 2018
    France
    I'm ok with all your comments ,
    I created this tool for help those who are banned but with those illegal files it's complicated

Subtle Demise likes this.
  8. Filo97

Filo97 Zelda's totally my sister! Not lying!

Oct 8, 2015
    Italy
    Hyrule Castle
    Absolute worst-case scenario you can make a thread showcasing it here but put the download somewhere else (like a piracy forum)

Quantumcat likes this.
  9. Subtle Demise

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    Look, all I'm saying is just because it is that way, doesn't mean it should be. What does Nintendo lose by having this software distributed? It is 100% useless to anyone who didn't pay the $300 barrier to entry. Now if someone is distributing modified copies of the software, trying to resell it somehow or labelling it as their own, I could see an issue, but as it stands, IP law and copyright in general need serious reform. Anyway, maybe I'll put further arguments in my actual copyright thread, before this goes off topic.

I feel like this software will be useful and takes a lot of the legwork out of updating a hacked/banned console, but @Thomhack don't link the source or compiled builds here, because they do contain illegal files (even if they shouldn't be that way).

10. natinusala

natinusala Win32 error 31 is not an error

Dec 1, 2012
    France
    Why would I trust a random homebrew to download and install an update on my console ?

also that's illegal lol

11. zkitX

zkitX Member

Newcomer
    Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    especially coming from Thomleg

Joel16, iriez and callmebob like this.
  12. iriez
    This message by iriez has been removed from public view by x65943, Dec 10, 2018, Reason: mentions warez site explicitly.
    Dec 9, 2018
  13. callmebob

callmebob The Grandpa of Awe!

Jan 24, 2007
    Germany
    Bitburger Brewery (a lot)
    Sorry, I really can´t say what the mods have to say. What he ^ said.

14. mrcroket

mrcroket Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 14, 2018
    Spain
    Why a system update its illegal? I mean sony for example allow us to download the lastest system update for their consoles from the official support website.

15. OrGoN3

OrGoN3 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 23, 2007
    United States
    But they don't allow us to host the files ourselves.

Also this shouldn't turn into the legitimacy of copyright and intellectual property law. GBATemp has specific policies. I don't enforce them because I'm not a mod and don't have the means. I'm just letting you know why it would probably violate the sitess rules. But I don't know for certain, as, again, I'm not staff or a mod. But I wouldn't recommend it.

Still, having said that, I appreciate the effort you are taking to create something new. Coding a working program is always a constructive learning tool.

Draxzelex likes this.
  16. Thomhack
    OP

Thomhack GBAtemp Regular

Mar 25, 2018
    France
    Thread updated with clarification about the download of the firmware.

17. OrGoN3

OrGoN3 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 23, 2007
    United States
    Does the GBATemp version need the entire url of the specific firm, or does it support folders?

18. Dontwait00

Dontwait00 Unknown

Sep 3, 2017
    Italy
    the GBAtemp version is going to be pretty limited. Thats why i will opt on Piracy version. By the time anyway, we will decide what best ideas to offer.

19. Meepers55

Meepers55 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 7, 2018
    United States
    I don't particularly see why this is getting all the hate. I find it to be a pretty nifty idea, and it could potentially make things easier for some folks. However, I don't see an actual release on this release thread; that's a bit misleading.

20. Dontwait00

Dontwait00 Unknown

Sep 3, 2017
    Italy
    It says:

21. Meepers55

Meepers55 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 7, 2018
    United States
    It also says: