Homebrew RELEASE UpToDate - Download firmwares for ChoiDuJour from your Switch !

• Thread starter Deleted_444986
  • Start date
  • Views 16,173
  • Replies 30
  • Likes 11
D

Deleted_444986

OP
Hi everyone !
So today i'm happy to introduce to you my first useful homebrew: UpToDate !

What does that mean ?

It mean with UpToDate you can download the latest firmwares of Nintendo for installing it with ChoiDuJourNX on your banned Switch.

How it work ?

UpToDate will fetch the link of the latest firmware (when available for ChoiDuJour) into the nro and will download the zip of the update from xecuter server
Easy ?

Planned functionality :
- UI
- Select between all firmwares available
- whatever wants users

Download:

This is actually rewritten and probaly be part of SX OS soon !

Last edited by ,

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a program that basically just looks for a text file with a plaintext URL of firmware files. Firmware files are Nintendo's property and cannot be redistributed legally. If OP opens their source/github, just look for the text file and that's the illegal firmware file.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a program that basically just looks for a text file with a plaintext URL of firmware files. Firmware files are Nintendo's property and cannot be redistributed legally. If OP opens their source/github, just look for the text file and that's the illegal firmware file.
Eh, it's free software distributed to people who pruchased a Switch, and it's being downloaded from a Nintendo Switch console instead of through other means. If GBAtemp doesn't want the source here, I support their decision, but I don't support Nintendo trying to take action against it. We paid $300 for a license to use and update the software, shouldn't matter where/how we do so.

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eh, it's free software distributed to people who pruchased a Switch, and it's being downloaded from a Nintendo Switch console instead of through other means. If GBAtemp doesn't want the source here, I support their decision, but I don't support Nintendo trying to take action against it. We paid $300 for a license to use and update the software, shouldn't matter where/how we do so.
Sorry, but copyright law and intellectual property law disagree with you wholeheartedly. The files that would be grabbed by this program are illegal to redistribute. Period. Whether you support Nintendo defending their IP or not, has no bearing on this topic.

Reactions: Draxzelex
D

Deleted_444986

OP
I'm ok with all your comments ,
I created this tool for help those who are banned but with those illegal files it's complicated

Reactions: Subtle Demise
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, but copyright law and intellectual property law disagree with you wholeheartedly. The files that would be grabbed by this program are illegal to redistribute. Period. Whether you support Nintendo defending their IP or not, has no bearing on this topic.
Look, all I'm saying is just because it is that way, doesn't mean it should be. What does Nintendo lose by having this software distributed? It is 100% useless to anyone who didn't pay the $300 barrier to entry. Now if someone is distributing modified copies of the software, trying to resell it somehow or labelling it as their own, I could see an issue, but as it stands, IP law and copyright in general need serious reform. Anyway, maybe I'll put further arguments in my actual copyright thread, before this goes off topic.

I feel like this software will be useful and takes a lot of the legwork out of updating a hacked/banned console, but @Thomhack don't link the source or compiled builds here, because they do contain illegal files (even if they shouldn't be that way).

natinusala

Win32 error 31 is not an error
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Why would I trust a random homebrew to download and install an update on my console ?

also that's illegal lol

mrcroket

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Why a system update its illegal? I mean sony for example allow us to download the lastest system update for their consoles from the official support website.

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why a system update its illegal? I mean sony for example allow us to download the lastest system update for their consoles from the official support website.
But they don't allow us to host the files ourselves.

Also this shouldn't turn into the legitimacy of copyright and intellectual property law. GBATemp has specific policies. I don't enforce them because I'm not a mod and don't have the means. I'm just letting you know why it would probably violate the sitess rules. But I don't know for certain, as, again, I'm not staff or a mod. But I wouldn't recommend it.

Still, having said that, I appreciate the effort you are taking to create something new. Coding a working program is always a constructive learning tool.

Reactions: Draxzelex
D

Deleted_444986

OP
Thread updated with clarification about the download of the firmware.

Dontwait00

Unknown
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Does the GBATemp version need the entire url of the specific firm, or does it support folders?
the GBAtemp version is going to be pretty limited. Thats why i will opt on Piracy version. By the time anyway, we will decide what best ideas to offer.

Meepers55

Flintstones Regular
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't particularly see why this is getting all the hate. I find it to be a pretty nifty idea, and it could potentially make things easier for some folks. However, I don't see an actual release on this release thread; that's a bit misleading.

Dontwait00

Unknown
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over