Hacking Upgrading from R4i Gold Plus to SCDS2

uberpubert69

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I just bought a SCDS2 from nds-card.com a few hours ago. I've been reading up on here all the amazing stuff for it for a while and I must say I'm REALLY excited to get it. Good GBA emulation, updated SNES emulation all through slot 1? AND Linux? AND even more emulators to run from linux like CPS1 and PSX?! OMG!!! Someone pinch me, I'm dreaming. R4i Gold Plus? Whats that?

But seriously, if theres any more awesome things to get/do/play on the SCDS2 please let me know, I want to enjoy all that the SCDS2 (and the devs for its homebrew) have to offer. :)

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You can browse a(n incomplete) list of plugins available for the DSTWO on the GBAtemp wiki, on this page: http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/DSTwo_Plugin

That's a lot of DSTWO plugins, which run on the card's own MIPS processor, but also DS homebrew that runs on the DS's ARM7 and ARM9 processors, with images and .ini files for the DSTWO's menu.

Have fun with your new Supercard! :)

uberpubert69

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks! Yeah, I've wanted to get a Supercard DSTWO for a while now and finally was able to get it for christmas. I'm wondering how much my battery life would be affected from the processor. I got a 3DS with one of those Nyko Power Pak+ (I think thats what its called) batteries that make my 3DS last more than 2x longer with max brightness (which is like 5-6 hours I think).

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you're running DS code, the DS2's processor goes to "sleep" and is set to its lowest frequency to save on battery usage. The battery usage basically equals the DS's own, with a bit on top for microSD reading/writing and other tasks.

If you run a .plg, the DS2's processor can run from its lowest frequency to its highest, depending on the plugin's ds2_setCPUclocklevel commands. If the .plg runs at its highest frequency, expect to double the battery usage.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
One thing to watch out for is that the DSTwo uses save files with a name of Gamename.sav while some other cards use Gamename.nds.sav so you might need to rename all your save files.

uberpubert69

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're running DS code, the DS2's processor goes to "sleep" and is set to its lowest frequency to save on battery usage. The battery usage basically equals the DS's own, with a bit on top for microSD reading/writing and other tasks.

If you run a .plg, the DS2's processor can run from its lowest frequency to its highest, depending on the plugin's ds2_setCPUclocklevel commands. If the .plg runs at its highest frequency, expect to double the battery usage.

Good info to know. I found the "ultimate battery test" topic on here and while it didn't have much testing on the 3DS I got a good idea of how well my battery will hold up.

One thing to watch out for is that the DSTwo uses save files with a name of Gamename.sav while some other cards use Gamename.nds.sav so you might need to rename all your save files.
Thankfully my save files are already in the .sav format instead of .nds.sav. I don't like double extensions, looks ugly.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao that sold out fast