Homebrew Upgrading from 32GB to 64GB: What to watch out for?

Zaiphon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Dear GBATemp Community,

Im really struck right now regarding what to do now.
I just bought 2x 64GB SD Cards to swap out my 2x 32GB SD Cards.
I own a New 3DS and a New 3DS XL, so i want to upgrade the storage.
Both are setup with Luma.
Did not updated since both Systems in a while, on the XL i know i did the B9S thingy.

What should i do?
I do not know what to do next.

Hope you can help.

Regards

Bravalerie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Remember Nintendo3DS consoles doesnt suppose to read only FAT32 MicroSD. I formatted mine with MiniTool Partition Wizard to FAT32 with Cluster 32kb
After check this, just copy the content inside both memories.

Btw, i think this should be in Console, Accessories and Hardware subforum. I've made a quick search and found topics that can answer you
d90394c57946f9469dde83b27b8b7154.png

Last edited by Bravalerie,

Taffy

jdfiehgvrhfvhfjkvgrjhfejvgrjkbjvr
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, you should probably make sure the SD cards aren't fake. There's this program people keep mentioning called h2testw that is good for checking these kinds of things, so run that on both cards.

After making sure the cards are OK, then just copy everything over to the new cards and you'll be fine. Make sure you have boot.firm in the root.

ZachAkbar16

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If you have installed B9S onto your N3DSXL, all you have to do is copy and paste ALL the contents from the 32gb card to the 64gb card. Don't copy separate files, copypaste them altogether. That should keep the B9S files intact.
As for the small N3DS, you need to specifically state which method did you use to install Luma onto it, as different exploit methods have different ways of saving data.
Hope this helps!

D

Deleted User

unrelated to CFW, but if you like to listen to music sometimes the 3DS has a hard time streaming it so in some places at random it'll repeat a part of a song once or twice

it's not long or super disjointed but it's noticeable

Zaiphon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Fristly Thanks for the relpies and im sorry if this is in the wrong section.

How can i check if B9S is Installed?
v + Select shows me Luma 8.1.1 on XL and Luma 8.1 on the Small one.
^ + Start gives me on both Godmode 9 Explorer 1.2.1
Should i firstly update both systems?

Regards.

Dracari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
in Theory the 3DS can use higher than what we perceive as the upper wall of 64GB, it comes down to it DOES support the XC Capacity, (above 32GB) but unofficially (no homebrewing required etc.) its just nintendy only recommends 32GB as the largest to use some issues begin to creep up (like music file playback, VC's can have odd Quirks with it if its not 32kb cluster size with GBA VC's being the biggest offender.. with if its not wanting to boot at all, its going to be that some will strangely move the display of the game Offscreen) hell some 3DS Digital games behave strangely on larger SD Cards if its not in the right cluster format.

because it DOES have the ability to detect and read SDXC, (but wont format it on it's own. it'll either not "Detect" at the home menu or spew an error) you haveto go to extraordinarily measures to format it for FAT32, but you can use an maximum absolute Limit capacity 2TB (but F**ing hell you'd hadto be willing to blow a crapload of Dosh for a 2TB SD/mSD if they exist yet. ) most decent Partition management tools will let you set FAT32 and specify 32kb cluster this also works, http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?fat32format.htm

Keep in mind FAT32 is subject to easier FS Corruption (compared to NTFS, but not as much as exFAT) so make backups everyso often.

Fristly Thanks for the relpies and im sorry if this is in the wrong section.

How can i check if B9S is Installed?
v + Select shows me Luma 8.1.1 on XL and Luma 8.1 on the Small one.
^ + Start gives me on both Godmode 9 Explorer 1.2.1
Should i firstly update both systems?

Regards.

the fact your using any Luma over 7.05/7.1 is indicative your allready on B9S as past 7.1, all support for A9LH was dropped entirely by it's codebase (and thus wont boot on it.)

Last edited by Dracari,

Zaiphon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
in Theory the 3DS can use higher than what we perceive as the upper wall of 64GB, it comes down to it DOES support the XC Capacity, (above 32GB) but unofficially (no homebrewing required etc.) its just nintendy only recommends 32GB as the largest to use some issues begin to creep up (like music file playback, VC's can have odd Quirks with it if its not 32kb cluster size with GBA VC's being the biggest offender.. with if its not wanting to boot at all, its going to be that some will strangely move the display of the game Offscreen) hell some 3DS Digital games behave strangely on larger SD Cards if its not in the right cluster format.

because it DOES have the ability to detect and read SDXC, (but wont format it on it's own. it'll either not "Detect" at the home menu or spew an error) you haveto go to extraordinarily measures to format it for FAT32, but you can use an maximum absolute Limit capacity 2TB (but F**ing hell you'd hadto be willing to blow a crapload of Dosh for a 2TB SD/mSD if they exist yet. ) most decent Partition management tools will let you set FAT32 and specify 32kb cluster this also works, http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?fat32format.htm

Keep in mind FAT32 is subject to easier FS Corruption (compared to NTFS, but not as much as exFAT) so make backups everyso often.

the fact your using any Luma over 7.05/7.1 is indicative your allready on B9S as past 7.1, all support for A9LH was dropped entirely by it's codebase (and thus wont boot on it.)
Thats some Important things to keep in mind, thank you!

Dracari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thats some Important things to keep in mind, thank you!
No Problem, i use a Samsung 128GB mSD in my N3DS and a Samsung 32GB FullSizedSD in my O3DS. i've had the microSD corrupt once but it was i think something w/ one of the nightly versions of GodMode9 (or just bad timing) i was just happy i made a backup a few days prior. (it was clear some header was written over the FAT (File Allocation Table) )

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Her boob is the cause of all this current shit :angry: