Fazermint

I like dem vidya gaimes
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hi there!

I've got a soft-modded Wii with System Menu 4.3E. Today I bought the game Xenoblade Chronicles, and when I inserted the DVD into the Wii, the disk channel says there's a system update. Does anyone know if it's safe to update? Many thanks!

Fazermint

I like dem vidya gaimes
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
it will re-load 250 if im right

why you no install priiloader and block disk updates?

people will be confused as you said 4.4 but thats not the update

Oh ok. I'm quite a newb, so I immediately assumed it was 4.4 XD. Anyway, I'll install Priiloader, thanks!

When it says you should only install Priiloader on a Wii with unmodified iOS's, does that mean I shouldn't use it if I've installed several iOS's like d2x and all that?

frogboy

lacking both style and grace
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is no System Menu 4.4.

And yes, Priiloader is the way to go. If you don't have BootMii installed as a boot2, Priiloader is a MUST HAVE.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
it will re-load 250 if im right
Close. It'll update your cIOS249 to a newer version. One that doesn't play anything.

Here's the situation: games tend to do routine checks for the present IOS'es on the wii, comparing them with the ones on the disc. If even one is found to be older on the wii, it'll prompt that "there is a system update" message.

And that's the thing: there is an official IOS249. One with a high version count, even. It just doesn't have any code (usually called a "stub"), so in practice, it'll just remove this softmod.

Priiloader is certainly the way to go. Otherwise, if you would update, it wouldn't play backups. And if you then reinstall the cIOS in slot 249*, Xenoblade will once again prompt that message. :P

*unless that has an even higher version...which the newer cIOS'es usually DO. So if you want, you may want to update those things. ;)

When it says you should only install Priiloader on a Wii with unmodified iOS's, does that mean I shouldn't use it if I've installed several iOS's like d2x and all that?
Just a second...the rule of thumb is that "IOS" are the official, nintendo-provided things and cIOS are the customly made ones. IOS have numbers below 200 (except the stubs), cIOS'es usually above. cIOScorp/darkcorp is an excption: it overwrites ALL IOS'es with custom made ones to allow it to play backup discs from the disc channel. Unneeded for USB loaders and risky (your wii NEEDS your IOS, so messing with them has a risk). The latter is probably why priiloader doesn't want your IOS'es messed with: it cannot afford to screw up the installation, as that could brick your wii.

Wizardkoer

Wii Veteran - 17
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It's perfectly safe. I did it and letterbomb still works and all my homebrew stuff are still there. But if I was you I wouldn't update but instead use priiloader to disable disc updates so you can just use the disc without updating. Another way is to boot it off usbloader gx

emumaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,I recently updated my 4.3u softmoded Wii and now it doesn't play burned backups.
I was wandering if there is a way to resoftmod it to play backup games again which iOS should I use?

Last edited by emumaster,

John_lowkz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to play Cod Black Ops on my disc but it says to do a system update to 4.4 and I recently uninstalled my homebrew stuff and factory reset my console. Is it safe if I update, or will by wii be bricked?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol