Updating to 4.2, downgrade?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Zexus, Nov 15, 2009.

Nov 15, 2009

Updating to 4.2, downgrade? by Zexus at 8:56 AM (1,349 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. Zexus
    OP

Newcomer Zexus Newbie

United States
    Need some help updating a Wii.

The files that are inside the Wii are:

Twilight Hack & Homebrew Channel
    Starfall Installation
    Wiishop and IOS51 Installation
    WiiGator v0.3 Gamma Installation
    SoftChip Rev73

What I'm planning to do is update from 3.2U directly to 4.2 through Nintendo, just read you can update normally then install all the other files. The guides say that the only files that do not get cleaned out are the CIOSCORP files, so if I update from Nintendo, I'm alright, right?

Then after I update I'm planning on following this guide:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=171901

I've read a few posts explaining that if I want a region free Wii I have to go to 4.1, so the guide says to update and install all the hacks and usb loaders, then I downgrade to 4.1. Downgrading will keep all the files, correct?

So, my two questions are:

1. Updating through Nintendo to 4.2, even with those files, will clean it out or revirginize the Wii?
    2. After I follow the guide and install everything through 4.2 then downgrade to 4.1, will the files from 4.2 stay and I can just start playing region free games or no?

Any help is appreciated.

2. TroyTheZombie

Member TroyTheZombie GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
  3. ziddey

Member ziddey GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    you can make life slightly easier for you if you updated your hbc if you haven't yet. this way, you'll retain hbc when you're updated.

starfall will be gone, but priiloader is better anyway.

softchip r73 is outdated, and you should update that anyway.

afterwards, follow the guides.

4. lancelott

Newcomer lancelott Member

United States
  5. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Updating will kill Starfall as well, so no real need to manually uninstall it.

6. Zexus
    OP

Newcomer Zexus Newbie

United States
    I appreciate all the help. The reason why I want to use the Nintendo update is because it'll clean everything out, I don't really have the knowledge of what can cause a brick and what cant. I don't really want to keep the old HBC or anything, I want it all cleaned out, like that I can follow the guide in the first post without having to worry about what did I install earlier or what mods did I miss out on, in case it bricks and I can maybe post what I did and get some help. I'm planning to install everything fresh and new from the guide, I'm not planning to leave anything out. I would use the safe updater but I'm a bit out of touch with how to install the IOS without confusing myself. I'm going to assume that a Nintendo update with a Wii format will clean everything out so I can go from there, correct? Thanks in advance.

7. dai-a

Member dai-a GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Nintendo update. Don't wii format.

Just nintendo update then follow the guide. But make sure you installing the newest homebrew.

8. Zexus
    OP

Newcomer Zexus Newbie

United States
    Alright, thanks a lot for the help!

EDIT: I just updated to 4.2U and for some reason WiiGator v0.3 Gamma is still on there, everything else seems to be cleaned out though. Should I just ignore it and continue with the installation of everything or delete it? How would I go about deleting it?

Also a few more questions

1. Will using a card that's sdhc effect anything?
    2. Can I remove the SD card after installing HBC, Neogamma, and the other softwares?

Thanks.