United States
Need some help updating a Wii.

The files that are inside the Wii are:

Twilight Hack & Homebrew Channel
Starfall Installation
Wiishop and IOS51 Installation
WiiGator v0.3 Gamma Installation
SoftChip Rev73

What I'm planning to do is update from 3.2U directly to 4.2 through Nintendo, just read you can update normally then install all the other files. The guides say that the only files that do not get cleaned out are the CIOSCORP files, so if I update from Nintendo, I'm alright, right?

Then after I update I'm planning on following this guide:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=171901

I've read a few posts explaining that if I want a region free Wii I have to go to 4.1, so the guide says to update and install all the hacks and usb loaders, then I downgrade to 4.1. Downgrading will keep all the files, correct?

So, my two questions are:

1. Updating through Nintendo to 4.2, even with those files, will clean it out or revirginize the Wii?
2. After I follow the guide and install everything through 4.2 then downgrade to 4.1, will the files from 4.2 stay and I can just start playing region free games or no?

Any help is appreciated.

ziddey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can make life slightly easier for you if you updated your hbc if you haven't yet. this way, you'll retain hbc when you're updated.

starfall will be gone, but priiloader is better anyway.

softchip r73 is outdated, and you should update that anyway.

afterwards, follow the guides.

Zexus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I appreciate all the help. The reason why I want to use the Nintendo update is because it'll clean everything out, I don't really have the knowledge of what can cause a brick and what cant. I don't really want to keep the old HBC or anything, I want it all cleaned out, like that I can follow the guide in the first post without having to worry about what did I install earlier or what mods did I miss out on, in case it bricks and I can maybe post what I did and get some help. I'm planning to install everything fresh and new from the guide, I'm not planning to leave anything out. I would use the safe updater but I'm a bit out of touch with how to install the IOS without confusing myself. I'm going to assume that a Nintendo update with a Wii format will clean everything out so I can go from there, correct? Thanks in advance.

Zexus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, thanks a lot for the help!

EDIT: I just updated to 4.2U and for some reason WiiGator v0.3 Gamma is still on there, everything else seems to be cleaned out though. Should I just ignore it and continue with the installation of everything or delete it? How would I go about deleting it?

Also a few more questions

1. Will using a card that's sdhc effect anything?
2. Can I remove the SD card after installing HBC, Neogamma, and the other softwares?

Thanks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok thanks, I love my X but have not messed with a S yet.