Question Updating Switch Firmware?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by ChanAnthony, Aug 8, 2018.

1. ChanAnthony
    OP

ChanAnthony Newbie

Newcomer
    May 27, 2018
    United States
    Hello.

I currently have a switch running on 4.1 out of the box, managed to get reiNX loaded and working.
    Managed to install a working NSP game using tinfoil, however, that was the only 1 out of 9 that was able to be installed.
    I've tried using CDNSP as well as other sources.

This is how my SD card looks like (I have plenty of free space):

upload_2018-8-8_14-8-57.

Someone suggested me to use DevMenu. I was doing some research and to use DevMenu, some tutorials require that I have to be on firmware 5.1.

So, my question is: If I update my firmware to the latest one (5.1), will it block me from being able to going into CFW?

My plan is to update it, be able to access e-shop for Pokemon Quest and never go back online again. Even if I get banned, It's not an issue for me.

Attached Files:

2. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    5.1 does not break anything except the possibility for software solution of booting CFW. So if you are going to update, use rajkostos method to not burn any fuses.
    And you can either search for devmenu.nsp (you have to search a lot ;) ) or just install pokemon quest nsp via tinfoil (or any other working donor game) and use layeredfs that way.

Last edited by Kubas_inko, Aug 8, 2018
  3. gallymimu

gallymimu EE Expert

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    devmenu can be a little dangerous depending which version you get. You want one that uses production keys.

updating to 5.1 won't hurt you, but it is recommended that you block fuse burning. I used ChoidujourNX to install 5.1 and autoRCM then used ReiNX after that. It's been working beautifully since.

I've not had any problems installing NSPs with the latest tinfoil. There may be another problem with what you are doing.

Perhaps you are making NSP backups of your carts incorrectly?

4. ChanAnthony
    OP

ChanAnthony Newbie

Newcomer
    May 27, 2018
    United States

How do I find the latest ver. of tinfoil? I've looked on the github page but can't find the nro file.

5. iriez

iriez GBAtemp Fan

Oct 27, 2016
    United States
    Step 1 - Get ChoiDuJourNX
    Step 2 - Get official 5.1.0 firmware files (located in /SWITCH/Official NX Firmware Updates on xbins ftp), just run that app, let it go through its routines (it needs to connect to IRC so give it a minute or so, and if your AV throws you a warning thats why. Don't worry the file is safe its been downloaded and used literally thousands of times and we personally made it)
    Step 3 - Install 5.1.0 using ChoiDuJourNX ...its a few clicks and really that easy.
    Step 4 - Install the latest SD Files pack
    Step 5 - Select auto boot if you desire, configure auto rcm if desired, etc.
    Step 6 - Put NSP's on /sdroot/Tinfoil/nsp (there is no sdroot folder, I mean literally the root of sd)
    Step 6 - Boot into CFW + Sigpatches and hold R when selecting albulm to launch hbmenu, select tinfoil, install whatever NSP's you desire.

This will allow you to do as you wish. You'll be done in 30 min or less.

But you *should* be able to just use the latest tinfoil to install nsp's on 4.1.0 and you can select "ignore fw version" when installing and it will patch it so you can use it for 4.1.0

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

https://buildserv.stayathomeserver.club/tinfoil/

Last edited by iriez, Aug 8, 2018
    modrobert and ChanAnthony like this.
  6. ChanAnthony
    OP

ChanAnthony Newbie

Newcomer
    May 27, 2018
    United States

Thanks for the guide. I've followed every step but still can't manage to install the NSPs via Tinfoil. I've tried exFAT & FAT32 as well.

The error :

OpenFileSystemWithID:95: Failed to open file system with id. Error code: 0x00234a02

Perhaps the NSP files are corrupt / bad.

7. gallymimu

gallymimu EE Expert

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    Well... UM... if you google "switch tinfoil" it's the first link!

https://github.com/Adubbz/Tinfoil

and it lists the location of the build server.

ChanAnthony likes this.