Hacking Updating Native Firmware Version to EmuNAND Firmware Version

Deboog

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now that 9.2 support is right around the corner for Gateway, I've been thinking about how I'm going to update my 4.4 3ds with 9.2 emuNAND to a native 9.2 while keeping all of my games (and ideally saves as well.) Yes, I know Gateway told us to stay on 4.x, and I intend to, but if Gateway gives us the greenlight to update to 9.2 so we'll be able to play all our GBA and DSi games I want to be ready.

Here's the deal: I system transferred data from my old 3DS to the emuNAND of my 3DS XL. The account associated with my native NAND is different than the account associated with my emuNAND. Titles from emuNAND do not appear on the native NAND menu. If I update native NAND, what will happen? Will Nintendo in the process realize the native NAND's account is defunct and update the 3DS to the new account? Will Nintendo throw out my emuNAND account with all of my legitimate downloads + ambassador games that I own? Even if it goes without a hitch, will I be able to somehow hold onto my saves?

I can think of one workaround. If I can get a spare 3DS, I can transfer from my emuNAND to that 3DS, factory reset the original 3DS XL, and then transfer back to the original 3DS XL. That would involve wiping the data of the spare 3DS though, and I'm not sure my friends would be too happy with that. :unsure:

Pitalacta

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm in a similar boat but I still have my old 3ds, so my situation is way easier.
What about those stores that let you return your purchase for any reason in a 7 day window? Could you buy a 3ds, do your transfers and return it?

Queno138

Ravens
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Now that 9.2 support is right around the corner for Gateway, I've been thinking about how I'm going to update my 4.4 3ds with 9.2 emuNAND to a native 9.2 while keeping all of my games (and ideally saves as well.) Yes, I know Gateway told us to stay on 4.x, and I intend to, but if Gateway gives us the greenlight to update to 9.2 so we'll be able to play all our GBA and DSi games I want to be ready.

Here's the deal: I system transferred data from my old 3DS to the emuNAND of my 3DS XL. The account associated with my native NAND is different than the account associated with my emuNAND. Titles from emuNAND do not appear on the native NAND menu. If I update native NAND, what will happen? Will Nintendo in the process realize the native NAND's account is defunct and update the 3DS to the new account? Will Nintendo throw out my emuNAND account with all of my legitimate downloads + ambassador games that I own? Even if it goes without a hitch, will I be able to somehow hold onto my saves?

I can think of one workaround. If I can get a spare 3DS, I can transfer from my emuNAND to that 3DS, factory reset the original 3DS XL, and then transfer back to the original 3DS XL. That would involve wiping the data of the spare 3DS though, and I'm not sure my friends would be too happy with that. :unsure:

For you:
I think you can delete the account for your 4.5.

Plus, 4.5 isn't associated to NNID, so that's another thing.

Never been in your 2 accounts on one 3DS situation before..

Workaround for other users:

Not sure how well this will work.
The reason for not losing the games, is probably because of the saves right?

1. All the games on your home dashboard that you want to keep the save, create a cart2/nand-saving rom for them.
2. Use savedatafiler to insert the saves from your SD -> CTR (this process might take a while)
3. backup the folders in your SD card (just in case), and take them out, including whatever save files you may have had
4. Try to play the cart2 roms you created, make sure all the saves got transferred

after the update

5. link back the same NNID (if remotely possible)
6. install the previous games.
7. use savedatafiler to transfer the saves back.

D

Deleted-19228

use win32diskimage and write your 1gb emunand partition to your sysnand using a flash cable. That's how I've been getting around it. Backup 4.x, update to newest firmware, then use the tool to copy the nand image onto your emunand on your SD. works great.

Reactions: Queno138

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
If the 9.2 support doesn't include support for EmuNAND then you'll be stuck on 9.2 even if Gateway update EmuNAND support. Seems better to not update.

Reactions: Ericss

Ericss

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How about just waiting for the GW update to come out so that you can know the disadvantages of being on 9.x? There's a reason they told those on 4.x not to update.

Reactions: Zidapi
D

Deleted-19228

I'm betting it's because the 9.x will use the 6.x+ save keys so the saves will not be compatible. At least, I hope. It would be so easy to export/import the saves using SaveDataFiler though.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Still though, people should wait until it's confirmed that the new 9.2 support also includes EmuNAND. They'll only be disappointed if they update to 9.2 and find out they're stuck with that firmware.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i like that idea
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the same thing?
    +1
    before or after a hit
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries