Hacking Updating a modded xbox 360 elite

gbands

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, just to clear it out first, I have no experience with modding and if ever, this might be the 1st console that I'll open just to do an update.

So here's my problem. When I borrowed this xbox from my partner, it was already modded in a shop. So I've no problem playing burnt games. The reason I want to update is because the firmware it's on is still 2.0.12625.0 and there are a lot of games that don't work on it anymore.

I was planning on having it updated back in the shop that modded it but my partner doesn't remember what shop did it, and it's a bit of a trip from where we are. I've browsed different shops but they charge a lot just to update it, about $25 or so and they always say it takes a day or two before I can get the console back. Since I've no experience with modding and updating and I wasn't there when they had the 360 modded, I couldn't say if it really takes that long to just update and do whatever they needed to do to get it done. That's why I'm resorting to DIY.

Now I won't and will never go on LIVE so I don't mind if what I need to do will flag the console or whatever. And I have a hunch that the mod the shop did to the xbox is just a dvd flash since my partner said they never touched the board or anything like that. So my questions are:

Just to make sure, what do I need to do to know what kind of mod the shop did?
What kind of tools do I need?
If the dvd is just flashed, is it possible to have it reflashed without removing the drive from the xbox?
I've been hearing about keys, since the xbox is modded, is it still possible for me to get these keys?

There may be a lot of other stuff I need to know so any help is greatly appreciated. I'm sorry to be such a noob but I really want to learn how to do this myself which will save me money and other troubles I might run into with our local shop modders.

BTW, the mrf is 2008-07-21

There's also something strange that I noticed with the box. The date is perpetually stuck in the year 2005. Everytime I try and update the date and time, it immediately goes back to 2005 so I don't know if the modding has any reason to do with it.

Treeko

Trophies
XP
Country
If you want my Advice you should give it to a shop,first of all I assume you don't have your DVD key and its a hassle to get it back,cause its pre flashed right?and you will need additional hardware for the Elite to update the DVD firmware,as they tend to come with a lite-on Drive which needs a specific tool called the CK3prob if I am not mistaken,so its better not to go through all this hassle,just give it to a shop get done with it,also I noticed that you said"firmware it's on is still 2.0.12625.0"that firmware is the Dashboard Firmware,what you need to update is the Custom firmware already flashed on your console's DVD drive,and I also forgot to Mention that there is a possibility that you might end up bricking your DVD drive,as you are new to this stuff.

As for the date being stuck,here's a little Guide for that http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906661.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Seeing that Treeko already helped you lots, I'm only suggesting something.

Since you're never on XBLive, why not get it RGH'd.
It'll save you the trouble of returning it and getting it updated etc, since you can flash your hacked NAND with a homebrew or XeLL (no need for hardware programmers)
You also never have to worry about non working games since you can extract games to the Internal or an External drive (Internal is preffered since it's faster)
Also you'll get access to all XBLA/XBLindie/DLC/Avatar stuff.
You can run homebrew/emulators and Linux.

And to correct some errors From Treeko.
Nope.
Liteon drives usually only found in Jaspers.
Falcons can have Benq/Liteon.
Zephyrs and Xenons usually have Hitachi/Samsung.

Elite/Pro/Core/Arcade is nothing but a selling name.
Zephyrs also had Elite versions.
Falcons also had Elite models.
Jaspers also had Arcade models.
The boards MFR date only tells you roughly what DVD drive you have.

As for the tool, yes you'll need a CK3i and a Probe 3 (to extract keys from Liteons)
Along with a X360 USB if your SATA chipset in the PC isn't compatible.

Other then that what he said is pretty accurate yes.
I also advice you to return it to the shop but I'd also reconsider on getting it RGH'd (it has more benefits then DVD flashing)

Reactions: gbands

gbands

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I was also considering that, and reading your sticky hacks topic, jtag and rgh basically do the same thing? Since I think jtag is more common here tho I may be wrong.

Thank you very much for the help guys :) That cleared a lot of my questions ever since getting the box. I have other questions, but I'll save that for some other time.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
jTAG and RGH are the same thing.
Only difference is the hardware, and that with RGHing you can Dual NAND your system to also be XBLive compatible.
jTAG is only used on dashes 7371 and lower on Phat xboxes.
RGH is used on all dashes up until 14719 on Phat and Slims (excluding Xenon Phat)

They both do the same thing which the only thing you should worry about ;p

Welcomes~

gbands

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I finally got my xbox jtagd :D The shop I went to had a decent price and even configured my external drive to run the games. I'm happy and all since they did put in games like DmC/Sleeping Dogs etc which are all pretty new so I know I'm able to play current games. Only thing is, they weren't very clear on teaching me how to put games on the external drive. Hehe, so here I am again.

Are there any programs I need?
Can I continue getting the regular isos or do I need to look for games specifically for the jtag? (I've seen some games with the jtag tag)
I've heard I could download dlcs as well, how do I go making them work?

That's all I could think of but if there's any other stuff I need to know, please enlighten me :D Thankies.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Xbox Image browser, extract the 360 game and put it in a folder.
Then place the folder in the folder where the other games are.

DLC should go in Content/000000000000000/
In their original folders that is ;]

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: CRAZY HAMBURGER