[UPDATE] Super Mario Run Coming for iOS (Android Later)

rdicl2ioa7ia7edycnhw.png

Making a surprise appearance at today's Apple conference, Nintendo’s very own Shigeru Miyamoto announced Super Mario Run for iOS. It will be a runner game borrowing New Super Mario Bros' graphics.

[Update]Below are some in-game screenshots from the conference:

b6ql99rhn5sdqnxnwgoe.jpg n9h3yyoh74brnddo5rzu.png sz3ohtfvlv8npvtwxy07.png

It’ll be a paid app—not free-to-play—and Nintendo says it’s “coming soon” to the App Store, probably out by this holiday.

[Update 2] Speaking to Kotaku, Nintendo added the following: “We do intend to release the game on Android devices at some point in the future.”

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember an interview a few years back when Satoru Iwata was asked about Nintendo games on mobile. As far as I recall, while he didn't rule out the possibility (rumored at the time) that Nintendo might actually release its own phone someday, his emphatic answer was that for as long as he could make sure of it, Nintendo games would only be made for, and playable on, Nintendo hardware.

Then he died. Well, they waited one year at least.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

Have you played Rayman Jungle Run? That game is great. It's less of an auto runner and more of an auto platformer.
I totally forgot about that Rayman running game because of how overpopulated the markets are with running games. I'll give Rayman Jungle Run a try. Thanks. ;)

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Nintendo hating crybabies: "Nintendo needs to do smartphone games."

Nintendo: "Take this! You're welcome! Now be quiet and let us make more actual games!"

I hope this is the best that smartphone gamers will ever get, since to me it's the best they should ever get.

Well, they waited one year at least.

To be fair, this might be a game using a Nintendo IP, but it's not an actual Nintendo experience. That still seems to be tied to the consoles.

Last edited by Axido,

osirisjem

I miss the Wii remotes
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh good...a runner clone...just like all the 5000 other runner games on the App Store. Sure glad Nintendo didn't try anything unique.

upload_2016-9-7_14-53-13.png

I am one of the developers for this game.
And I want to reassure you that this is no runner clone.
See screenshots below.

upload_2016-9-7_14-51-20.png

Last edited by osirisjem,

Deleted member 370671

Ball of Kawaiiness
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
Nintendo hating crybabies: "Nintendo needs to do smartphone games."

Nintendo: "Take this! You're welcome! Now be quiet and let us make more actual games!"

I hope this is the best that smartphone gamers will ever get, since to me it's the best they should ever get.
More like:
Investors (two years ago): LOOK AT ALL THE MONEY THOSE SHITTY MOBILE GAMES ARE MAKING WE NEED TO DO THAT
Iwata (two years ago): pls understand™ those games are shit and we only want to make good games
Investors (one year ago): FFS MAKE THEM MOBILE GAMES OR WE'RE LEAVING, SINCE YOUR WII U IS DOING LIKE SHIT
Iwata (one year ago): wow calm down we'll make MiiTomo you happy now
Investors (one year ago): meh, won't make much money, too boring, but okay for now
Investors (few months ago): MIITOMO ISN'T DOING THAT GREAT, WHERE'S OUR MONEY
[new CEO, I forgot his name]: Well yea let's make a Mario game it will make much money and who cares about our licenses anyway, it will just be the worst Mario game since Hotel Mario but hey
Investors:
giphy-2.gif

PewnyPL

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
People who automatically hate on this game immediately think of it as an ENDLESS runner, whereas it isn't. It's not a single, 'how far can you get without dying' randomly generated levels, but multiple levels, with goals you can reach. Which means each level will actually be unique, and not "wonder if next will be a turn, jump or a dodge" like with Temple Run for example. It will be more akin to Rayman mobile games, especially since Ubisoft really managed to make the gameplay in them varied (by introducing new moves as you progress)

Reactions: Deleted User

Davidosky99

Eevee :3
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.davidosky99.xyz
XP
Country
RE-posted(well, not exactly a repost...) from another thread, because apparently everytime something big happens, it must be reposted on 5 different sections with different titles, but hey, what's stopping me from saying my opinion on the matter?
I'm pretty dissapointed at Nintendo for completely selling out to Apple.
First for announcing their new "game" at an apple conference.
Second for announcing it is iOS only(stop saying it will come out to android, you aren't Nintendo's representatives)
And last for not being free to play or just plain free. Why? If Nintendo wants to succeed on the mobile market the games need to be free/free to play or else the group of people who are gonna play it/buy it will be small, thus smaller social impact/sharing or spread to younger people.
Also, the fact that they completely sold out to Apple(I wonder how much money they made on this deal with Apple) for "exclusivity" on launch and thus "promotion" of the iOS ecosystem in comparison to android (or windows phone :rofl2:), that in the end, if it comes out for those 2 platforms, the game is gonna be treated like a port. A mere port, thus lowering the Android/Windows Phone credibility.
Certainly, there was money involved.
But who am I to judge this? It's all corporate deals!
I'm just dissapointed :(

Last edited by Davidosky99,
Reactions: the_randomizer

Justinde75

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well if it is like new super mario bros, but it is an endless runner or something, that actually would be pretty nice. It worked with rayman jungle run and fiesta run, so I look forward to it. Sadly no android release

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh good...a runner clone...just like all the 5000 other runner games on the App Store. Sure glad Nintendo didn't try anything unique.
To be fair, the Rayman runner games are pretty spiffy. I'd attribute it to the graphics, but the themes and silly music make them fun experiences, as well.

There was a Mirror's Edge runner game for non-smart phones a while back that was quite well done as well.

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The only issue i have with the mobile market is that it's all touchscreen based. What's wrong with good old buttons? :/

mashers

Stubborn ape
Trophies
XP
Country
I was right :cry:

Thank goodness it's not a dumbed down, one-touch-control version of a beloved Nintendo franchise. "Super Mario Bros.: Go" (tap to jump endless runner), "Legend of Zelda: Pocket Edition" (freemium crapware) or "Donkey Kong Country Saga" (Bejewelled crap with different graphics) would literally make me cry.

LuxerWap

The Green Husky with a Broken Tail
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure this is what fans do not want from Nintendo. They must've hoped that Nintendo would be original with their games, and they get this instead. An endless runner game, just like 10,000 other endless runners.

I'm still gonna play this game though. Looks very fun.

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand why not Android? Especially when Miitomo and Pokémon Go supported both Android/IOS.

Well at least they can't fault me for not supporting a game on a device I don't own. My hands are clean on this one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I love how insurance companies can deny procedures because they deem it not medically necessary despite the procedure being ordered by a doctor
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Going with that right now with a dental claim morons put the wrong company name and rejected claims been on hold an hour for the claims department
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, BTW is it better to go usb or bt for these mini Pcs figure you may know since you play with rack systems so much
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Counting my blessings that my insurance hasn't caused me really any headache (yet, at least) despite the fact that I've been getting way more appointments and what not recently due
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @K3Nv2, what do you mean, what are you trying to do?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just looking at a built in mouse pad keyboard combo
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I loose the dongle constantly but they may have better connection with usb frequency
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Imo Bluetooth is always a option of last resort for me
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Except for phones because it tends to be pretty reliable there
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a bad habit of taking out usb transmitter and loosing it because they can't you know print names on the damn things
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    But any desktop OS, I've never had anything but frustration trying to get Bluetooth devices to work reliably and stable. It might pair and connect once, and then next time I go to use it I have to delete and re-pair it again
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    5.3 has been so good I think 6 is really going to make it stable
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I remember how shit 3 was
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Ptouch labeler aren't terribly expensive, label shit yourself fam. This is the one I own and there are cheaper ones too https://www.amazon.com/Brother-P-Touch-PTH110BP-Portable-included/dp/B09QXYND6S
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Solves part of the problem, mixing up which dongle is which. Then you just have to not lose them lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Double D would be proud
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Even my Xbox One controller I have it paired to my desktop over Bluetooth, it USUALLY works but sometimes it refuses to connect and I have to delete and re-pair it. Maddening
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gigabytes built in mobo bt/wifi pairs pretty decent
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    That's what I'm using :(
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ran a driver update in device manager?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Not recently but I think it's less a driver issue and more just Windows having a garbage Bluetooth stack
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Could be I was having issues when I first upgraded it and didn't realiser gigabyte has specific driver revisions which is stupid
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Which is married to the boards revision
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Made my first review
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    I've gone years without ever removing a logitech usb transmitter. Across several replacements of keyboards and mice. It just stays put.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: I've gone years without ever removing a logitech usb transmitter. Across several replacements of...