Homebrew Update problem with Snes9x GX

Catastrophic

Perfectly Normal
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I like to use Snes9x GX a lot and it's definitely my favorite emulator on the Wii. But for some reason on version 4.2.6 and up(when they updated the snes9x core to 1.53), I've been experiencing sound stuttering and popping. I've tried fiddling around with different settings and video modes but the sound glitches were still there, so I prefer sticking with 4.2.5 for now.

However, it's getting a bit annoying having to cancel out the update box every time you boot up the emulator, there are even times when I'm scrolling through the list of games when the update window pops up and I end up pressing update now by accident. Is there a way to disable updates in Snes9x GX? Thanks!

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i think in the meta or settings folder in your snes9x apps folder you can erase something buy sadly i forget what it was... it blocked online stuff... i'll look at my old topics and maybe i'll find it...

Reactions: Catastrophic

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There shouldn't be popping in the audio, as I helped Tantric (among others) to find the right frequency (around 31850Hz I think), but I admit I've seen some wonky behavior with SA-1 games (Super Mario RPG not being able to save states or in-game saves). Have you tried manually downloading the most recent version?

Catastrophic

Perfectly Normal
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
i think in the meta or settings folder in your snes9x apps folder you can erase something buy sadly i forget what it was... it blocked online stuff... i'll look at my old topics and maybe i'll find it...
I appreciate it!
There shouldn't be popping in the audio, as I helped Tantric (among others) to find the right frequency (around 31850Hz I think), but I admit I've seen some wonky behavior with SA-1 games (Super Mario RPG not being able to save states or in-game saves). Have you tried manually downloading the most recent version?
No actually, I used the in-menu updater. I'll try manually downloading it from the google code page tomorrow.

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i think there was a thing in there called no ios reload in meta or settings just click find and erase that. i think that's what you had to erase... to stop online updates. i've been out of the wii screen for a bit so i'm not sure if it's still in there or not so... someone can correct me if i'm wrong.

Catastrophic

Perfectly Normal
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Alright I tried updating to 4.3.1 again and unfortunately the stuttering is still there. I also tried editing some things in the meta and settings files but it still asks for an update.

I guess I'll just cancel out the box and hope that a future update might fix the stuttering.
Is this what you're talking about?:
http://code.google.com/p/snes9x-gx/issues/detail?id=466

One thing I noticed is that it appeared to be an issue with 1.52's sound emulation. According to the Wiki page the newest GX version is based on 1.53. Is it possible that the changes that were done to fix the sound were somehow affected?

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, it's possible some regressions were made during the changes between the 1.52 and 1.53 emulation cores (1.53 is somewhat more demanding on the Wii's CPU if I'm not mistaken), so I wouldn't be surprised. 4.2.0 and on is when Tantric implemented Blaarg's amazing S-SMP/SPC700 sound core (which sounds 1:1 like a real Snes, unlike the versions before it). Tantric/Dborth does have a Gmail account, so you can probably write to him since the Google Code page no longer has a section for reporting issues. I think it's [email protected], so give that a whirl. If it's that bothersome, there's always RetroArch Wii with Snes9x Next 1.5.2.2, which has no sound issues whatsoever (even that infamous Snes9xGx tinny audio issue when closing/opening the menu), and runs even SuperFX games at full speed.

Sure, it doesn't have the most appealing GUI (due to RAM constraints on the Wii), but I personally use it more than Snes9xGx.

Reactions: Catastrophic

Catastrophic

Perfectly Normal
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, it's possible some regressions were made during the changes between the 1.52 and 1.53 emulation cores (1.53 is somewhat more demanding on the Wii's CPU if I'm not mistaken), so I wouldn't be surprised. 4.2.0 and on is when Tantric implemented Blaarg's amazing S-SMP/SPC700 sound core (which sounds 1:1 like a real Snes, unlike the versions before it). Tantric/Dborth does have a Gmail account, so you can probably write to him since the Google Code page no longer has a section for reporting issues. I think it's [email protected], so give that a whirl. If it's that bothersome, there's always RetroArch Wii with Snes9x Next 1.5.2.2, which has no sound issues whatsoever (even that infamous Snes9xGx tinny audio issue when closing/opening the menu), and runs even SuperFX games at full speed.

Sure, it doesn't have the most appealing GUI (due to RAM constraints on the Wii), but I personally use it more than Snes9xGx.
Thanks for the input. I personally don't use RetroArch because it displays rather weird on my TV. It looks really blurry and I can't get it to fit the screen properly.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the input. I personally don't use RetroArch because it displays rather weird on my TV. It looks really blurry and I can't get it to fit the screen properly.

Do you use a CRT or LCD? If it's CRT, go with 8:7 aspect ratio, if it's an LCD, try 16:9 or 16:10. The blur is the bilinear filtering, which is necessary for games to look less crappy on non-CRT TVs. In fact, that reason right there is the reason I hate the VC, because the filtering is nonexistent and looks like crap. But I digress, this is my opinion.

Catastrophic

Perfectly Normal
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Do you use a CRT or LCD? If it's CRT, go with 8:7 aspect ratio, if it's an LCD, try 16:9 or 16:10. The blur is the bilinear filtering, which is necessary for games to look less crappy on non-CRT TVs. In fact, that reason right there is the reason I hate the VC, because the filtering is nonexistent and looks like crap. But I digress, this is my opinion.
I have a CRT. I tried point filtering which made the game look much better. But my TV has this strange problem where a black boarder often appears on the right side of the screen, I noticed that the main problem was the game being a bit more zoomed in than it should, but since you can't recenter the screen, zooming out will cause the boarder to expand to a point where it sticks out greatly.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can manually adjust the screen using the X and Y coordinates in RetroArch, but again, older CRTs don't support 16:9, but if it's newer, it will. Have you had any luck contacting dborth/Tantric about Snes9xGx?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nearly 4 hours without power :(
  • Veho @ Veho:
    SO POWERLESS
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tell Kanye I need power
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Better start running in your hamster wheel
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Meth addicts on a treadmill connected to a generator "Unlimited POWER!!!'
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before or after a hit?
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Do you dangle a baggie in front of them, like a carrot?
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    they're the same thing
    +1
    i like that idea
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the same thing?
    +1
    before or after a hit
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay