Homebrew Snes9xGX Cover+ & co

Wiimpathy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I hesitated to post on GX emulators cover mods, but since this time it's not totally related to covers, and galen2 force me to open a new topic, here it is.

- Max roms per folder is now 1000. So, if your Wii freezes, crashes or burns because of too many games, it's not my problem, you're warned !

- Snes9xGX only Display details for the chosen game (Genre, Players, Author, Year and plot). It's based on a info.xml file in /snes9xgx/ folder (where you have roms, covers etc...) that look for precise filenames (No-Intro or Tosec roms).
Enable cover view, point a game in one row mode and click on the game title to display details. If details are found, they should display under the game title (see ReadMe for more explanations) .

- Added ability to browse your roms in cover view.

- Added ability to customize games folders with images in cover view.

That's all !
It's not a very impressive addition and would require lot of improvements, but it's a start. I don't think I will add "big" things such as manuals display or covers rotation as I saw in the other thread. You have the messy source code so do what you want with it, I'll help if I can/want.

The covers Must be the same name as the roms.

Covers size :

.Snes9xGX : 316*224
.FCE Ultra GX : 160*224
.VBA-GX : 224*224

See the original thread for more info here : GX cover mods original thread

LATEST COVER MODS :
  • WITH IOS 58 SUPPORT
Snes9xGX 4.3.1 Cover v1

FCE Ultra GX 3.2.9 Cover v1

VBA-GX 2.2.5 Cover v3
  • WITH CIOS 202 SUPPORT
Snes9xGX 4.3.1 Cover v1 cios202

FCE Ultra GX 3.2.9 Cover v1 cios202

VBA-GX 2.2.5 Cover v3

SCREENSHOTS
Snes9xGX Cover+ Main menu
snes9xgxcover.png

Getting details for a game
snes9xgxcover_info1.png

Full game information
snes9xgxcover_info2.png

Last edited by Wiimpathy,

DEFIANT

a daft old man who stole a magic box and ran away
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Holy shit man thank you. I thank you. And I take heed your warning, if it screws up it's my own fault, I accept that. Again thank you.

Are you going to do this with fceugx? (bump the max rom count) Just out of curiosity. As I would also be interested in this as well.

Reactions: 1 person

Dogway

Trophies
XP
Country
whoaa! Thanks a bunch. The only fact of releasing an up-to-date cover mod is enough.
(BUT!) If you are going to still implement things, do you think its possible a scanlines filter? or maybe it is as slow as the hq2x antialias? edit: I also had a look onto official snes9x 1.53, apart from scanlines, there's also 2 TV modes, and 3 NTSC (gorgeous looking!)
I also suggest another tag for developer in details.

Id like to ask if there are any save state converters to convert them from v4.1.5 to 4.2.8

Thanks again

Wiimpathy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks for your comments. Glad you like it.

QUOTE said:
Are you going to do this with fceugx? (bump the max rom count) Just out of curiosity. As I would also be interested in this as well.
Even if it's not a very good idea to change roms limit, it's quick and easy to modify so if nobody does it, maybe I'll change it or help you make it.

(BUT!) If you are going to still implement things, do you think its possible a scanlines filter? or maybe it is as slow as the hq2x antialias? edit: I also had a look onto official snes9x 1.53, apart from scanlines, there's also 2 TV modes, and 3 NTSC (gorgeous looking!)
I also suggest another tag for developer in details.

Regarding filters (personnally don't use them), I can look at it, but I don't want to write approximate code for pure emulation. Tantric knows better than I about video and hardware in general of this machine. He's the one you should ask first.
If I implement more things, that would be only features in Gui like display games synopsis maybe. However, I'm not sure to go very further with these emus, since the first goal was to update the cover mods (and release a new with vba-gx). Well, we'll see.

Wiimpathy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
New Snes9xgx cover : Snes9xGX 4.2.8 Cover v3

- Display more info for selected game (genre, players, author, description). When you first click on title, it displays genre and number of players. A + button appears then if you push it, a game info window will display more details (author, year and plot) if they're found.

The info.xml file (No-Intro or Tosec one) must be in /snes9xgx/ directory (where you have roms, covers etc...) in order to display info. The files are not complete so not all games have details.

corey89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does this support viewing covers aligned both horizontally and vertically? Cause Japanese Super Famicom games were often vertical rather than the horizontal black framed ones we got in the west.

Same for the the NES, just in reverse, many Japanese covers were horizontal there.

Wiimpathy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
corey89 said:
Does this support viewing covers aligned both horizontally and vertically? Cause Japanese Super Famicom games were often vertical rather than the horizontal black framed ones we got in the west.

Same for the the NES, just in reverse, many Japanese covers were horizontal there.
No this is adapted to euro, us covers only just like the original version by giantpune, I didn't touch that part and that would be a little hard to make something homogeneous.

QUOTEThanks Wiimpathy. Your work kicks ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Happy you like it musicman61554 !
No problem with details except the incomplete info and a bit slow ?

corey89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wiimpathy said:
corey89 said:

No this is adapted to euro, us covers only just like the original version by giantpune, I didn't touch that part and that would be a little hard to make something homogeneous.

Well what I mean is, can it display covers that are both 160x224 and 316x224? So that Japanese covers don't have to be turned sideways and having to tilt our heads to see them.

musicman61554

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea I am still working on renaming my roms. I def don't need the 1000 rom limit but the features you are doing just make it fun man. I only use my wii for these emulators and wiimc. I appreciate all the work everyone does. Thanks again Wiimpathy

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Am I the only one who has issues with the setting of the covers folder?

I'd like to change this from the default 'snes9xgx\covers' to 'emulator\snes\covers', and this works quite well...until I quit the emulator. If I start it the next time, it went back to the default value (other settings remain changed correctly).

I'm using uneek+DI if that makes any difference. The VBAgx cover mod has the same issue (but with vbagx\covers as folder, obviously). The NES one doesn't.

Wiimpathy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
corey89 said:
Wiimpathy said:
corey89 said:

Well what I mean is, can it display covers that are both 160x224 and 316x224? So that Japanese covers don't have to be turned sideways and having to tilt our heads to see them.

I already gave you the answer. If you have only japanese games in one folder, it could be doable to toggle between horizontal and vertical mode, or else display both sizes at the same time in rows and it won't be that easy !
I don't think I will do that, sorry.

QUOTE(GartimusPrime @ Aug 11 2011, 04:41 AM) where do I get covers for this??
You can find the games on eBay or at a flea market. You can also look for GX emulator mod topic, it's not very far ...

QUOTE(Wever @ Aug 11 2011, 06:22 AM)
Am I the only one who has issues with the setting of the covers folder?

I'd like to change this from the default 'snes9xgx\covers' to 'emulator\snes\covers', and this works quite well...until I quit the emulator. If I start it the next time, it went back to the default value (other settings remain changed correctly).

I'm using uneek+DI if that makes any difference. The VBAgx cover mod has the same issue (but with vbagx\covers as folder, obviously). The NES one doesn't.
Oh you're right, I forgot to add the ability to load and save values for Cover folder location. I'll post a fix for that later.

Wiimpathy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Snes9xGX 4.2.8 Cover v4

VBA-GX 2.2.2 Cover v2

- Fixed covers directory no being saved in both emulators.

Unless there are huge bugs, these are the last versions that I'll release. I don't think it's worth adding game info feature in the other two emu.
Maybe someone could implement and improve this, it's not very long (well it's subjective) , the most boring part is finding games database and create one with scripts or manually(?!).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM