Hacking update from 3.2e to 4.2

stickybit

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
im just posting this before i decide to update im on 3.2e and going to update to 4.2
using dop-ios has anyone done this 3.2 to 4.2 using this method?
how did it go? any trouble or anything i should know about?
the only reason i ask is because its a massive firmware jump
and alot of the ioses on my wii may be old now, im on rev 17 pal wii 3.2e softmod with homebrew ch

i did post a similar thread asking how to do it but im asking here for peoples experiences doing so
thx in advance

jaybee

Trophies
XP
Country
Your best bet is to backup the nand first using BootMii onto sd card and then copy this to your pc before attempting to mod it further. I did this and then used the update files from here:

http://adewii.wordpress.com/2009/10/17/how...ystem-menu-4-2/

after youve backed up, just run wad manager and choose IOS36 and install ios70 first, then the systemmenu and then install all of the other wads. It wont hurt your already installed ios's. a couple of wads might not install. I had a problem with the ios254 and another wad that had v2 in the filename. Just skip over these as I think it was to do with one of the channel updates already being installed and I think ios254 is not used now anyways. After youve done this reboot the wii and it should be back into 4.2e now. It might be an idea to back up the nand again using bootmii and copy this over to the pc keeping the old one. Put them in folders as 3.x and 4.2 so you dont get them mixed up.

Note you must copy the keys.bin file over as well when backing up your nand.bin to the pc!

The guide also says to use dop-ios to trucha patch ios70 but all my backups appear to still work anyway. I did try to patch ios70 but it gives an error. Not sure why. Still it will bring you up to 4.2 and give you access to the shop channel and of course iplayer if you are in the uk! Not bad really. You can reinstall the exploit for homebrew channel using the installer for 4.2 run via the memory card menu just in case. You dont need to reinstall bootmii or dvdx as these are safe on your system.

I updated my softmodded trucha'd 3.4e to 4.2e and everything still works as it should!

UPDATE: You can trucha patch IOS36 and IOS70 to the latest versions using DOP-IOS V8 and not DOP-IOS-MOD (The latter didnt work for me, but DOP-IOS V8 did). I've found that I need to reinstall my MIOS patch again to play gamecube backups but this is no biggie as I can just run the MIOS Patcher again. This tutorial is here:

http://adewii.wordpress.com/2009/09/27/how...n-nintendo-wii/

So basically its simple:
1 Backup your nand and keys and copy them to the PC
2 Run the update wads as IOS36, IOS70 first, then the sysmenu, then the remaining wads
3 Patch IOS36 and IOS70 with DOP-IOS (Download this)
4 Reinstall MIOS Patcher update
5 Backup your 4.2e version nand and keep in a safe place

Job Done!

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You will never need to update if you don't want to. If you have any trouble with games, just update the ios.

If you did want to update, dop-ios-mod would work fine. Just use ios249, install ios70 with patches, then install 4.2 in your region. You can also use dop-ios mod to update the rest of your ios if you wish, ios33, 53 and 55 and good to have updated. An updated ios36 with patches is also nice. And if you intend to use any channels, you can also install those from dop ios mod. It is pretty straight forward, just be sure your nand has a fair amount of free space and your power does not go out.

stickybit

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
if i was to do it id use dop-ios

quote "If you did want to update, dop-ios-mod would work fine. Just use ios249"
how do i use ios 249? does it promp me to select it? or should i already be on it?
also the 1st selection when i load dop ios is ios 32 or install ios 32 fakesign?? which one do i choose?

other things... will my usb gx loader still work and home brew etc? is it fully compatable with waninkos revs etc? im so frightend i loose some compatability that i almost think its not worth it
iv more to loose than gain

also i have my nand backed up with bootmii but if i brick the wii and cant get to the system menu im buggerd as i dont have priiloader and probly cant put it on my wii as its highly
recommended that you install it on a wii with non hacked ioses
thats if the absolute worst happens tho

stickybit

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
aww man somethings happend
i went on dop ios mod and selected ios 36
i just looked at the options i never changed anything except did a system check/scan
then when i came out nothing works
now i cant get in to the homebrew channel or usb gx it just flashes green then the disc drive makes a loading noise
and the system resets
someone please help how do i get it back to how it was? i had a nand back up but i cant get in to homebrew
i didnt even change anything
i new i shouldnt have botherd:(
please help what do i do?

at the end of the system check it said dop ios report stored on sd card
its like my wii isnt even hacked now was my ios 36 truch bugged?

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Dop-ios-mod should default to ios36, and provide a means of installing ios36 with fakesign patch. Since you are already softmodded, you can use ios249. Just change ios36 to ios249. Then it gives you the option to install ios, system menus, channels, check boot2 version, scan system.

First install ios70 with patches. The app will display what version ios is installed, and the version it would install if you wished it to. So if you wanted to update your ios files, you could start at the lowest number and compare the versions, if a newer version is available you have the option to install it. When you install your ios, it will ask if you want to patch them. Typically only the system ios and ios36 should be patched, so don't apply patches on the rest. If the ios is not on your wii, you probably don't need it, but installing all of them wont hurt, but will waste blocks. Most ios only take 1 block, some of the small # one take around 13, so not much space. You'll probably want ios33, 53, 55, 61 to be updated, and don't forget to install ios70, with patches, and ios36 with patches.

Once you've install your ios, goto system menu's and install 4.2 in your region. If you where to brick your wii, this is where it would happen. So cross your fingers and hope to god your power does not go out, bad news if it does.

Channels- you can update any channels you wish to use, like the mii channel and shop channel, what ever you like.

Remove stubbed ios- this option removes stubbed (useless) ios files. This frees up space, and allows the re-installation of the useful versions from official disk updates, if you ever wanted to do that. It is optional.

You should not experience any comparability issues with your softmod. HBC and others will still function as they should. The only exception is system menu hacks, and methods to apply them. There are various options depending on your system menu version.

If you wii supports boot2 bootmii, it would not be a bad idea to have that installed first. When you done you probably would benefit from installing priiloader.

stickybit

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
somethig bad has happend to my wii i got now homebrew compatability now
iv no idea whats happend
i started a new thread askig for assistance

edit its ok got it sorted...

ok so how/wher do i change it to ios 249 from 36? it does say somewhere in the programe that ios 249 stub = useless ??
and if i ever need to can i jump back to 3.2 with dop ios?

i use ios 249 every time i update waninkos rev so it cant be useless to me ??

oh and when i choose to install ios 70/ios 32 does it promp me to pach it?

stickybit

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
ok i got boot mii and a nand backup thats fine
but priiloader says only install on unmodded ioses as its high risk
i think i will just update my ioses as needed
untill i need to update for some reason it would be nice to have a bigger mem card option tho
was that on 4.0 or 4.1?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, @salazarcosplay hi