Update emuNAND through game card?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by pontum, Mar 16, 2015.

1. pontum
    OP

pontum Member

Newcomer
    Mar 16, 2015
    I currently have sysNAND on 4.3.0-6E, which is not supported by Ninjhax. I have made an emuNAND which is also 4.30-6E. I want to update my emuNAND using a copy of Super Smash Bros. 4, however, every time I launch the game through emuNAND, there is no update prompt, and it launches the game, which just ends up crashing. Is there a way for me to update just the emuNAND using a game card?

2. LameNobody

LameNobody Weighted Companion Cube Enthusiast

Jan 23, 2015
    Canada
    The safest way to update emunand is through system settings.

In all cases you should not update in classic mode, only GW/MT mode.
    Do not update by entering eshop and using the prompt that displays when you enter.
    Do not update from a rom/game cart.

Alternative methods:
    - Install devmenu/bbm, then use UpdateCDN to get the .cia updates.. (This requires owning a GW or a MT-card)
    Here's How: https://gbatemp.net/posts/5375095
    If you have a gateway, you can use the latest system menu safely (9.5.0-23)
    BUT, If you have an MT-Card, update to 9.4.0 because the multirom menu breaks after that

- Using a second 3ds and download play to send the update that is on a cartridge (I've only heard of this, I don't know if it works)

If you're using the MT launcher and classic mode as emunand, get PBT cfw and install the browser .cia to your sysnand

3. pontum
    OP

pontum Member

Newcomer
    Mar 16, 2015
    I can't update using System Settings because Ninjhax doesn't work past 9.2.

I don't have a GW or MT card, so I can only use classic mode. The tutorials I followed said that's it's safe to update in classic mode, as long as you make sure that it is emuNAND, not sysNAND.

The only way for me to use devmenu is through Palantines CFW. Main problem is that it can take several tries to boot, and even if it does boot, it might freeze shortly after opening an app. So I want to avoid installing the update on CFW. Unless it's possible to boot it like a normal emuNAND without the CFW features in order to make the booting more reliable.

Regarding PBT CFW, will it work using the GW launcher? Or only the MT launcher. How do I obtain just the browser.CIA? Also, how safe is it updating to a browser version that's a lot higher?

4. LameNobody

Jan 23, 2015
    Canada
    The Solution for you is to use UpdateCDN to download the browser .cia.
    The title id for the EUR browser is: 0004003000009D02 and the version for 4.0-4.5 is v2050 (according to the guy who released PBT-cfw, the last browser before the exploit was patched also works -- v4096)
    Follow These instructions to install the cfw:
    My Heavily Butchered version of Chaldron's Tutorial

Once you have devmenu installed use it to install the browser .cia that you got with updateCDN

once you're done you can put the launcher.dat from MT-Card back on your SD and continue to use your emunand
    use sysnand for cubic ninja because that's where the browser you installed is, not in MT's classic mode

pontum likes this.
  5. pontum
    OP

pontum Member

Newcomer
    Mar 16, 2015
    Followed your instructions and got it to work. Thank you very much, this is much better than the solution I was after.

LameNobody likes this.
  6. bbmax

bbmax Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 1, 2015
    im updating EmuNAND with game card
    boot to sysnand run rxTools switch to emunand pop on the game from card and start updating to 9.2 (game is Cooking mama- bon apetit)

pontum likes this.
  7. pontum
    OP

pontum Member

Newcomer
    Mar 16, 2015
    That works too. Thanks. Though I don't have a copy of Cooking Mama, so I will have to stick to 8.1 emuNAND.

8. LameNobody

Jan 23, 2015
    Canada
    As far as i know gamecard updates don't include the browser... unless that changed recently

9. Oishikatta

Oishikatta GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 30, 2014
    United States
    The best way is to update emunand via rom (SSB 9.2 for US, Cooking Mama 9.2 for EU), and install the browser you want as .cia after.

10. LameNobody

Jan 23, 2015
    Canada
    He was using MT's classic mode as emunand because he doesn't own a GW or MT

11. tony_2018

tony_2018 GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    Not recommended.

12. pontum
    OP

pontum Member

Newcomer
    Mar 16, 2015
    I haven't checked if Ninjhax works yet, but I did successfully update the emuNAND using Super Smash Bros. Though I guess you would be right about the browser. The game card updates install x.x.x-6, while Ninjhax requires at least x.x.x-7.

If I were to install a higher version of the browser (say, 9.2.0-20E) to sysNAND via PBT CFW, create a new emuNAND, then update that emuNAND using rxTools and a game card, would it then work? Or will the game card update overwrite the browser version.

13. LameNobody

Jan 23, 2015
    Canada
    That would work, but if you go that route just keep your current emunand... you can use cubic ninja from sysnand

But yes, you could just re-format your emunand to have the browser there too

14. pontum
    OP

pontum Member

Newcomer
    Mar 16, 2015
    I guess I'll just stick with what I have now. I want 9.2 emuNAND for custom themes, so there's not much point in 8.1 emuNAND. I'll wait until I get a copy of Cooking Mama.