Upcoming PS4 update gives the option to turn off HDCP protection, among other additions.

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by TwinRetro, Mar 19, 2014.

1. TwinRetro
    OP

TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

Global Moderator
    Aug 29, 2008
    United States
    Las Vegas, NV
    [​IMG]

Do we have any PS4 owners in the house that like to stream, but doesn't like the built-in streaming app? Have a youtube channel that you would like to post PS4 footage to? Do you make game reviews and would like to easily record in-game footage? Well, it's about to get a whole lot easier through HDMI. The latest upcoming patch for the PS4 will allow you to record footage from PS4's library of games without having to find a workaround for the HDCP protection that gave PS3 users such a headache.

Among the changes rolling out to the next patch, users will be able to stream at 720p with Twitch and Ustream, and will also have the capability to archive their Twitch streams. Sony has also said they will be releasing "A rich video editor with a simple tool to personalize your video clips", and users will also be able to save screenshots and videos directly to a USB drive using PS4's Share feature. There is also "a lot more coming in this update", but nothing further has been specified.

Looks like things are shaping up for the Playstation 4. I personally think that the current OS for the PS4 is extremely barebones at the moment, and it makes me happy to see further functionality added to the console.

:arrow: Source: Playstation Blog

2. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    You can save both videos and screenshots directly to a USB device, not just screenshots, which nullifies the need of having to buy an HDMI capture device unless you're planning to catch more than 15 minutes of footage at a time. Apparently Sony's winking at all those LP'ers out there, since this seems like an ideal solution for them to create content. Damn, this was the second thing I wanted to write about today, but I only just came back from university! :rofl2:

3. chavosaur

chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    It's about time, quite a few Lets players I follow have been complaining about this lack of update for awhile now.

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  4. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    I wonder when Sony is going to add 3D Bluray to PS4.

5. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    So much for always using protection. What a terrible example for our nation's youth!

Densetsu and Foxi4 like this.
  6. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    HDCP protection is redundant, as the P in HDCP stands for protection.

And good on Sony for turning it off, but frankly it's ridic that it was on at all.

Mario92 likes this.
  7. Maxternal

Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Nov 15, 2011
    Deep in GBAtemp addiction
    When they find a good way to merge it with project Morpheus ;)

8. Lumstar

Lumstar Princess

Mar 6, 2006
    United States
    Darling
    PS3 was just that absurd. HDCP locking the XMB, who's going to want to watch that?