Unusual WiiWare Behavior

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by masamunecyrus, Mar 22, 2009.

Mar 22, 2009
  1. masamunecyrus
    OP

Newcomer masamunecyrus Advanced Member

United States
    Hey, I'm having some unusual behavior regarding a WiiWare wad. Specifically, with the US release Gradius ReBirth, the channel seems to install fine, but when I trying to start the game, it instead resets the Wii and brings me back to the main menu.

I've not run across this behavior before, so I thought I'd ask to see if anyone has any ideas. The Japanese release worked fine; could my wad file be broken? I'm running 3.2U with Starfall, as well.

2. spawn844

Member spawn844 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    have you tryed reinstalling it?

3. masamunecyrus
    OP

United States
    Yep. Maybe it's just something simple like my wad.

4. TaxiTitan

Member TaxiTitan GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    Could be an update that you need from a newer IOS version.
    Maybe IOS51, 53, or 55?
    A friend had the same prob with Mega man 9, because he only had 1 cIOS installed to play DVD-r backups

5. lll

Member lll GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Maybe you're missing the IOS that game requires. Do you know what IOS it uses?

The Wii resets when something bad happens but not bad enough that IOS craps its pants, so things like trying to load a IOS that isnt there, or something failing hashing/signing, or certain kinds of obscure game bugs, or failed region checks without starfall or the like. It also resets a lot under normal conditions...seriously, Nintendo really like resets.

Given that the WAD installed successfully it's not likely that the WAD itself is corrupted. The contents of the WAD could be borked I suppose but I've never heard of it happening. My guess is that you need to install one of the newer IOSes for this game but I've been wrong before.

6. masamunecyrus
    OP

United States
    Yeah. I just installed the ones MadWorld required (38, 53, 55) and it works, now. Thanks!