Unreponsive R button, any fix?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by TyBlood13, Sep 1, 2012.

Sep 1, 2012
  1. TyBlood13
    OP

Member TyBlood13 Weeaboo Trash

United States
    My 3DS's R button has stopped working on me. it worked fined up until yesterday when I tried to play KIU at my high school to show a friend. I got home tried to clean it, but no luck. any way to fix this thing without sending it in to Nintendo? normally I wouldn't mind sending it in, but it's a Zelda 25th anniversary ed. and I've already sent in once for the shitty home button.
    TyBlood13​

2. CrimzonEyed

Member CrimzonEyed GBAtemp's Assassin

Japan
    Cover the R button with your lips and blow.

Worked a ton of times on my DS.

2 people like this.
  3. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    Could try this

Or try picking up some canned air and spraying some of that in it.

4. DinohScene

Member DinohScene The Gift of Dino

Antarctica
    I wonder how hard people are pressing those buttons.

I never had any trouble with L&R buttons on the GBA + DS + 3DS.
    Well I had on the GBA but that's because it's my launch GBA and only started to suffer from it after 7 years of playing.

1 person likes this.
  5. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    It's often not how hard you press the button. Often times these problems happen for a number of reasons.
    The problem I have run into the most was sweat or lint from my pocket getting in there and causing to either stick or not work.
    Which is easily fixed with a little canned air.

6. TyBlood13
    OP

Member TyBlood13 Weeaboo Trash

United States
    This seems to have worked for now :) . the problem seems to have been caused by to much dust/lint/crap from being carried around in my pocket for ten months
    my ags-101 sp (or whatever to original sp was called) also has a bad r button, but that thing never worked
    also I noticed i hit the button alot harder when I'm playing Kid Icarus uprising compared to any other game I've ever played, or maybe they do this... :hateit:

7. hnguyen2010

Newcomer hnguyen2010 Advanced Member

United States
    It cost all around all most $95 to fix a R shoulder button at Nintendo and then I ask them is there any way to make it cheaper and then they cut the price down to $70 to fix it.

8. Issac

Member Issac Mini-mod

Sweden
    Ah, now I know why everyone else always have problems.. I always have a case for my handhelds, and never have them in my pockets. I've been playing frequently since 89 (when I was around 2 years old, yes) and have had every nintendo and sony console and never once have any of them broken down on me :P (or having lint in their buttons)..

9. RPG Hacker

Member RPG Hacker GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    Sounds very plausible. Both, the DS and my DSi, had shoulder buttons. In fact: I sent my DSi to Nintendo three times just because of the shoulder buttons. They replaced the system completely and the buttons broke again, so I gave it up. My 3DS shoulder buttons are working fine so far, though, and I got the system on release date. A reason for this (assuming that Nintendo didn't change the actual hardware too much) could be that I usually carry the 3DS in protection case that came with Ocarina of Time 3D, so I guess it has better protection than my two previous systems. Then again... I never had any protection for my GBA and its shoulder buttons are still working fine. So probably the DS and DSi DID have other hardware, after all.

10. Crimsonclaw111

Member Crimsonclaw111 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I thought the 3DS was built to counteract these kind of problems by using metal pieces?

11. eggsample

Member eggsample punahussy

Poland
    Too much blood in used metals.

12. xwatchmanx

Member xwatchmanx GBAtemp's (Un)Ironic Weeaboo

United States
    I had this issue with my L trigger just a couple months ago. It was still under warranty, so I sent it to Nintendo. Not only was it fixed and returned promptly, but they replaced the top screen because of the "bar scratch" issue, even though I didn't ask.