Unofficial Hakchi2/Manual Hacking Thread

PPlays

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait, so I don't need to include the 21 games in the "games" folder? That whatever games I add will still show up with the ones preinstalled? I guess that changed or something. Huh. I knew previously in the BRAC build, you had to include them when you synced with the Snes Classic NAND. Well, that makes it a helluva lot easier.
Yeah the BRAC build didn't have them. R2 does.

PPlays

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How does it have them is what I want to know? They're no in the game folder, in fact, I made a game folder. Weird. I mean, where is it storing them?
I believe the original 21 games are always on the system or something. But using hackchi hides them somehow if the user wishes by not selecting them when going to place games onto the console. But I'm not a inner workings kind of guy.

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe the original 21 games are always on the system or something. But using hackchi hides them somehow if the user wishes by not selecting them when going to place games onto the console. But I'm not a inner workings kind of guy.

Looks that way, and I like what I see, makes everything easier to manage, so I can finally hide Kirby's Dream Course (to be honest, I like Super Star and Dream Land 3 way better :lol:) :P RC4 is out, but someone said the demo feature is broken.

Reactions: PPlays

PPlays

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks that way, and I like what I see, makes everything easier to manage, so I can finally hide Kirby's Dream Course (to be honest, I like Super Star and Dream Land 3 way better :lol:) :P RC4 is out, but someone said the demo feature is broken.
Yeah I saw 3 and 4 came out right after each other. I'm not a fan of Kirby's Dream Course either. I want to beat it to say I beat all the original games on the SNES Classic though lol. I just have a lot of experience with using hackchi with the NES Classic so that's why I know my way around it.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I saw 3 and 4 came out right after each other. I'm not a fan of Kirby's Dream Course either. I want to beat it to say I beat all the original games on the SNES Classic though lol. I just have a lot of experience with using hackchi with the NES Classic so that's why I know my way around it.

I also looked that it's doing all the SFROM conversion and making the right folders, dayum, this is so much easier XD

Kumoashi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty sure he said today or tomorrow. I'll be working tomorrow so I've got no reason to keep trying these unnofficial ones that come out :)
Actually, he said he would have a BETA version ready for TESTING either tonight or tomorrow. He never said that the final release would be out at that time. As for the release candidate builds, those are of the official version of Hakchi2, and RC3 and RC4 are from ClusterM himself. So I would call those builds at least, pretty official.

Last edited by Kumoashi,

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, he said he would have a BETA version ready for TESTING either tonight or tomorrow. He never said that the final release would be out at that time. As for the release candidate builds, those are of the official version of Hakchi2, and RC3 and RC4 are from ClusterM himself. So I would call those builds at least pretty official.

So those are okay to use? RC4 I saw is broken with the demos, hopefully the next RC has that fixed. I've been using RC3, not sure if anyone else has been using it. Either way, we're getting super close.

Kumoashi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So those are okay to use? RC4 I saw is broken with the demos, hopefully the next RC has that fixed. I've been using RC3, not sure if anyone else has been using it. Either way, we're getting super close.
I'm not sure if they're okay to use or not. He's still working on it and nothing is finalized yet from what I can tell, but it's probably better and safer than the unofficial builds out there.
I'm not a coder though, nor am I part of the project, so I can't say with 100% certainty on any of that.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure if they're okay to use or not. He's still working on it and nothing is finalized yet from what I can tell, but it's probably better and safer than the unofficial builds out there.
I'm not a coder though, nor am I part of the project, so I can't say with 100% certainty on any of that.

Well, has anyone on here been able to use the RC builds without issue? Great, now even I don't want to use them now. Sigh.

Kumoashi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It looks like the people testing games with it aren't having too much trouble. They are also the ones that are most likely reporting the bugs to Cluster.
Here is the compatibility list https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...8t2aV5cVswYlnsdKxn9xoIW2Y/edit#gid=2014317767
It keeps changing and update every few seconds.

So what do you suggest I do with RC3 or RC4 (currently have 3 right now)? I really want to attempt this but I'm getting the impression that it may not be a good idea.

Kumoashi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So what do you suggest I do with RC3 or RC4 (currently have 3 right now)? I really want to attempt this but I'm getting the impression that it may not be a good idea.
Well, I don't believe that it will brick your SNESC, but even when the final version comes out there will always be a slim chance it could happen. I think the biggest issue with using Hakchi2 now would be that some stuff might not work right and you just have to wait for a bug fix. Other then that, it should be fine.
I, myself, have decided to wait, but I'm still keeping up with everything that's going on with Hakchi2 in it's current state.
It's your choice though when it comes to wither or not to use what we have now. Early builds of any program are always going to have bugs. The question is, can you live with them while you wait for the final build, or would you rather have it all working right the first time?

PPlays

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It depends on what you want to do. If you're looking to just add more games then they're both fine. The kernal dumping is going to work exactly like the official version that comes out.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I don't believe that it will brick your SNESC, but even when the final version comes out there will always be a slim chance it could happen. I think the biggest issue with using Hakchi2 now would be that some stuff might not work right and you just have to wait for a bug fix. Other then that, it should be fine.
I, myself, have decided to wait, but I'm still keeping up with everything that's going on with Hakchi2 in it's current state.
It's your choice though when it comes to wither or not to use what we have now. Early builds of any program are always going to have bugs. The question is, can you live with them while you wait for the final build, or would you rather have it all working right the first time?

What exactly is broken that I should be aware of?

- Save states/in-game saves?
- Demo play feature (which I can shut off)
- Games crashing?

In all honesty, I only want to add a handful of games and get rid of two games, Kirby's Dream Course and F-zero), while adding the following:

Chrono Trigger
Mega Man X2 and X3
DKC2 and DKC3
Kirby's Dream Land 3

That's about it :P

It depends on what you want to do. If you're looking to just add more games then they're both fine. The kernal dumping is going to work exactly like the official version that comes out.
Adding just a handful of games and keeping 19 (getting rid of F-Zero and Dream Course), nothing more. I will need to install the drivers, so I go to Dump Kernel, then when it pops up to install the driver, I install the driver, then
hold reset then power while still holding reset for five seconds. :P

Last edited by the_randomizer,

PPlays

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

- Games crashing?

In all honesty, I only want to add a handful of games and get rid of two games, Kirby's Dream Course and F-zero), while adding the following:

Chrono Trigger
Mega Man X2 and X3
DKC2 and DKC3
Kirby's Dream Land 3

Adding just a handful of games and keeping 19 (getting rid of F-Zero and Dream Course), nothing more. I will need to install the drivers, so I go to Dump Kernel, then when it pops up to install the driver, I install the driver, then
You have a couple games on there that have questionable compatibility. Kirby 3 didn't work with the BRAC build but that compatibility list says it does work. So that's probably with r2 or r3. I haven't had any issues with saving in r2 personally. Also you can't individually remove the individual games so you'll have to uncheck that box and add the other 19 original ones.

Kumoashi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

- Games crashing?

Chrono Trigger
Mega Man X2 and X3
DKC2 and DKC3
Kirby's Dream Land 3

Having never tried it myself, I can only go by what I've read. That being said, as far as I know, only the demo play back might be broke in RC4. The rest should be fine.
As for those games you want, I believe they all work. Hiding the two original games will work too as far as I can see.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have a couple games on there that have questionable compatibility. Kirby 3 didn't work with the BRAC build but that compatibility list says it does work. So that's probably with r2 or r3. I haven't had any issues with saving in r2 personally. Also you can't individually remove the individual games so you'll have to uncheck that box and add the other 19 original ones.

Wait what? Oh, so where it says "original games" I can't "remove them" even if I uncheck them? Bleh. Sounds like a pain, never mind. Why can people select or deselect them then? I'm confused now. Can we continue via PM?

Having never tried it myself, I can only go by what I've read. That being said, as far as I know, only the demo play back might be broke in RC4. The rest should be fine.
As for those games you want, I believe they all work. Hiding the two original games will work too as far as I can see.

I don't know, I'm being told that it's not that simple to not sync two of the games.

Edit: Using RC3

Last edited by the_randomizer,

Kumoashi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure about RC2, but in RC3 you can uncheck individual games from the original 21. Just select "Original Games", then on the right, uncheck the ones you don't want.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure about RC2, but in RC3 you can uncheck individual games from the original 21. Just select "Original Games", then on the right, uncheck the ones you don't want.

That's what I'm gonna do when I get the chance to dump the kernel and flash it, but as far as the drivers go, I plug it in first then install them with Hackchi :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @mthrnite, Cheetah Girls, the sequel to Action 52's Cheetah Men.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pokemon Black I played that one a lot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly never messed with Pokémon on ds much
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I played pokemon once, was bored, never tried again
    Oh Dragon Quest IX
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spent like 5 hours on switch one never touched it again
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
    Veho @ Veho: +1