Unofficial Android port shown running on a Nintendo Switch

GWt9cpaEOAli5rXV.jpeg

The possibility of running Android on a Nintendo Switch has always been a source of discussion in the scene since its early days. Some are favourable to the idea, pointing to the Tegra X1 SoC at the heart of the console which is already found in other Android devices (not taking into account the customizations commissioned by Nintendo) and how such a port would both expand the console's capabilities and its software library. Others reject it, citing how many other devices would be able to do the same job in a better way without requiring any software modifications. Nevertheless, so far all those arguments have been the product of speculation, however it seems things may change soon as the developer Max Keller, also known as "langer hans", has shown a video of an unofficial Android port running on a Switch.

While we've already been teased with small details of such a port in the past, for example see this tweet made by @natinusala not too long ago, it's indeed the first time we're able to see a sneak peek of it in action. The video is linked down below and it showcases the OS's home screen, a couple applications including a WebKit browser test, switching between portrait and landscape mode and working WiFi & Bluetooth. Still, the GPU drivers don't behave properly at the moment which causes stuttering during operation.

The poster is already known for other projects, mainly for modding other Android ROMs, however it underlines that most of the work has been done by another developer known as Billy Laws (ByLaws) who has already posted a device tree for the Switch on his GitLab account (link in the sources below). There is currently no public release nor ETA but this should come as no surprise as it's evident the port needs some work before it can be called usable.

What do you think? Are you excited about an Android port for the Switch or do you dismiss it as being just a gimmick?

:arrow: Source

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is cool and all, but why though? What good reasons are there for this? It seems like such a pain for limited performance when there are much cheaper and better alternatives.
To simply run android, sure. To benefit from all android has to offer? That is a different story.

For all its problems and annoyances android is a years developed OS with a lot of functionality, functionality few homebrew authors are likely to want to include*, and thus capable of odd setups that do cool things for people.

*assuming someone gets bored enough to port... a dreamcast VMU emulator to the Switch. Are then then going to want to also include a network library so I can FTP the save back into my FTP server (naturally one with a super complicated setup) to pick up on my PC later? Is it also going to be able to grab the new ROMs I stick there? Are they bollocks.
With android... about 5 minutes to set up a FTP copy task, 7 if I have to do it twice.

Also this is not the early-mid DS and PSP any more (or xbox or wii). Android and such exist and thus have reduced the need/desire/viability/provided alternative incentives for would be homebrew devs -- the GBA, DS, PSP, xbox and to a slightly lesser extent the Wii all represented top tier, and often very cheap, portable computing or "plug into my TV" computing options at the time, said time also not featuring much in the way of what you would call open devices, much less ones at that kind of processing power (you had the likes of pogoplug/sheevaplug, maybe the GP32 as well, Europe had a few sort of open ish phones but the US was still in the dark ages here... whoo).

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Fair enough. Personally, I would just stick to a raspberry pi unless significant emulation is developed that runs on Android switch.

Well firstly, my Pi is not portable. Secondly; I don't have a Pi!

And I don't understand what you mean about "significant emulation is developed that runs on Android switch"? - Every emulator that currently runs on Android will automatically run on Android Switch - there's no additional development needed for individual games, app, or emulators.

IncredulousP

GBAtemp's Resident Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well firstly, my Pi is not portable. Secondly; I don't have a Pi!

And I don't understand what you mean about "significant emulation is developed that runs on Android switch"? - Every emulator that currently runs on Android will automatically run on Android Switch - there's no additional development needed for individual games, app, or emulators.
A pi is absolutely portable. That's like, it's thing. I highly recommend investing in one.
Emulation programs already developed may run on Android switch, but there's no guarantee they will run well without being optimized specifically for the switch hardware. To assume they will work flawlessly simply because of an operating system is wishful thinking at best, ignorance at worst.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
A pi is absolutely portable. That's like, it's thing.

Ugh... Honestly. A Pi is *not* portable in the sense that I can't take it on a flight or road trip with me and get any reasonable use out of it. Once you start geeking out adding screens and batteries you then start to add weight and cost and then OH LOOK! Yet another device to lug around with phone and Switch... Great!

I highly recommend investing in one.

No thanks

Emulation programs already developed may run on Android switch, but there's no guarantee they will run well without being optimized specifically for the switch hardware. To assume they will work flawlessly simply because of an operating system is wishful thinking at best, ignorance at worst.

It's not a good idea to accuse people of ignorance whilst talking out of your ass. The only think that will need optimising will be the Android build itself (especially drivers for GFX and controls). Do you see hundreds of people complaining that their favourite apps and games stop working when they've upgraded to a new phone? No.... because that's not how it works. That's before you even consider the fact that the hardware is basically just a Shield which everything all runs just fine on.

IncredulousP

GBAtemp's Resident Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ugh... Honestly. A Pi is *not* portable in the sense that I can't take it on a flight or road trip with me and get any reasonable use out of it. Once you start geeking out adding screens and batteries you then start to add weight and cost and then OH LOOK! Yet another device to lug around with phone and Switch... Great!

No thanks

It's not a good idea to accuse people of ignorance whilst talking out of your ass. The only think that will need optimising will be the Android build itself (especially drivers for GFX and controls). Do you see hundreds of people complaining that their favourite apps and games stop working when they've upgraded to a new phone? No.... because that's not how it works. That's before you even consider the fact that the hardware is basically just a Shield which everything all runs just fine on.
Cool it, broski. You don't have to buy a pi. You can also totally ignore that "geeking out" and adding a screen plus mobile battery source all enclosed in a small plastic case with some buttons with long battery life and light weight is somehow much less economical than a $300 brick. Since you're such an expert on hardware, I assumed you would be interested in the scalability, economy, and portability of a pi.
Have a good one, dude.

Last edited by IncredulousP,

MK73DS

Non-commutative algebra
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
France
Even if it is the most portable device in the world, I, and probably Pleng too, want to carry only one single device which is able to do everything the Pi can do (at least game wise).
A portable Pi is better than a not portable one, sure. But having to bring nothing but the Switch is better.

Reactions: Pleng

Daniel_Jackson

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
This is something I'm very interested in. When it comes to Switch hacking, there's just one thing I want: classic emulators, without any risk to the real system itself. If this launches as a payload, it might just be the exact thing I'm looking for.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.