CMA regulator says that Call of Duty would not be able to run on Nintendo Switch

saddsad.png

In an amusing twist in the ongoing effort by Microsoft to acquire Activision, the UK's Competition and Markets Authority has determined that the contract that Microsoft signed last month to bring Call of Duty to Nintendo platforms would not be able to be upheld as-is. They denote that publishers and developers have had harder times porting games to the Switch versus PlayStation and Xbox, and that games ported to Switch usually had rather poor performance or visuals. Additionally, they also denote that while the Switch "has not impacted Nintendo's ability to compete on the downstream console market" as it features a wider variety of games than PlayStation or Xbox, they believe that the Switch "does not currently offer the same graphically intensive games that PlayStation or Xbox compete on" and that it "does not offer a similar user experience" to the competition in regards to storage space, visuals and performance.
Ideally, Microsoft is signing this contract for the purpose of bringing it to a future Nintendo console, but they would not be able to actually abide by the contract until then.

1677692659939.png

Sources: My Nintendo News, Exputer, Forbes

Last edited by Chary,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I mean it makes plenty of sense why the current generation of COD games wouldn't run on the Switch through porting it. Not to mention the Switch is on it's last leg I think, based on what were seeing. Hell, I half expect that this deal that Microsoft and Nintendo are trying to make refers to Nintendo's Next-Gen console they've been working on. There's always the CLOUD, I mean there's been plenty of games that have gone that way:

• A Plague Tale: Innocence - Cloud Version
  • The Forgotten City - Cloud Version
  • Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy: Cloud Version
  • Kingdom Hearts - HD 1.5 + 2.5 ReMix - Cloud Version
  • Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue - Cloud Version
  • Kingdom Hearts III - Cloud Version
  • Edge of Eternity - Cloud Version
  • Thymesia - Cloud Version
  • Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous
  • A Plague Tale: Requiem - Cloud Version
  • Resident Evil Village Cloud
  • Resident Evil 7: Biohazard Cloud
  • Resident Evil 2 - Cloud Version
  • Resident Evil 3 - Cloud Version
  • Dying Light 2: Stay Human - Cloud Version (Release date: TBA)

So if they did that, then I'm sure it could work, I believe. Allot of these games on this list a pretty graphics heavy, and look and run pretty well on the Switch being there all on the Cloud.
Streaming a fast paced game such as a shooter where every frame of latency matters would make it completely impossible to play competitively. Not really an option for a game like this.

Nincompoopdo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Microsoft owning Activison/Blizzard is a good thing for pirates.

Microsoft published games have no DRM or Denuvo, so Diablo 4 and CoD are free from them day 1. Good for people who pay for the games too - better performance.

Reactions: yoyoyo69

Wolfy

Person That Never Was
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Presumably they are making a certain amount of money out of it with their current "lazy" attitude.

How much more money do you think they would make, if they invested more development time and money?

If they would need to spend more money than they would recoup, then it's not laziness. It's common sense.

There's a point where you go from making a game that people want to play, to making a game that you know people are just going to play because it's an established franchise. I'm not knocking the thought that it's a bad business practice to make things as cost effective as possible. The problem I have is when there's no passion put into a project, and it's just another job to them.

Once again the fact that people will buy it anyway is a given, so there's no reason for them to invest more time because of that fact. It just means people will move away at some point because it's no longer a franchise that does anything for them.

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If it can run on the Xbox one…

On switch it would have been compromised, but 30fps like Fortnite would have worked.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
last fish fps (call of duty) i played was for 360. played the latest one on ps5 just recently. it felt like the same game just with 20x the UI and ability to climb. felt way busier and, despite more ui, was far harder to comprehend. so. don't really care if it comes to switch, I won't be playing.

I'd rather not see things like the gamepass "unlimited rental" model push out physically owning the game, and the more microsoft has control over the market, the more likely this is going to happen. playstation's version is a mess, but they'll get there eventually too. nintendo is trying to do it too, in the dumbest way possible (per the usual), but are a far way away.

the day everything goes digital/drm only, is the day I'll go full pirate.

• Love
Reactions: Henx and BaamAlex

Wolfy

Person That Never Was
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is just another job to pretty much all game developers.

Which I understand, but it makes me sad just thinking of the love that's gone into older games that won't be given to newer titles. It's too much "work" to go above and beyond for management, they'd rather the product that's designed to be enticing rather than satisfying, enough to be bought, not enough to be cared for.

Reactions: Redhorse

Wolfy

Person That Never Was
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's always been pretty much the same, you're just older.

Nah, definitely different when most studios weren't multi-billion dollar companies with tons of licensing issues, shareholders, and etc... The corporate world is probably the issue, which is why a lot of indie titles go viral since they're experimental projects that people wanted to create.

Reactions: Henx

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol, are you serious?

The game IS software, this is the point.

They can't get the game running on much, much more capable hardware, how do you think any kind of port would turn out on an interior handheld device.

Even built from the ground up, they've proven they can't get it running with much more capable hardware and many, many, many updates.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nah, definitely different when most studios weren't multi-billion dollar companies with tons of licensing issues, shareholders, and etc... The corporate world is probably the issue, which is why a lot of indie titles go viral since they're experimental projects that people wanted to create.
Even going back to the 80's there were large companies that put out soulless licensed games, and smaller teams (often just one person) putting out games that were experimental.

There has never been a time when what you are describing, hasn't been true.

dictator24

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so uhh...have they not seen doom eternal?
have you seen apex, warzone is feasible on the switch but it would run worse than apex because the switch cpu is a big bottleneck ,since games are made with the jaguar cores inside the xbox one and ps4 as the lowest common denominator and the cpu of the switch is much weaker even weaker the the xbox 360 cpu and not much better than the wii us, with apex and witcher 3 the resolution is a bit too high for these types of games comparing to xenoblade or wolfeinstein 2 meaning the switch presents a bottleneck mainly on the cpu so maybe cod mobile would be ported instead of warzone
Post automatically merged:

Call of Duty is optimized like crap lmao
it isnt really only on pc
Post automatically merged:

last fish fps (call of duty) i played was for 360. played the latest one on ps5 just recently. it felt like the same game just with 20x the UI and ability to climb. felt way busier and, despite more ui, was far harder to comprehend. so. don't really care if it comes to switch, I won't be playing.

I'd rather not see things like the gamepass "unlimited rental" model push out physically owning the game, and the more microsoft has control over the market, the more likely this is going to happen. playstation's version is a mess, but they'll get there eventually too. nintendo is trying to do it too, in the dumbest way possible (per the usual), but are a far way away.

the day everything goes digital/drm only, is the day I'll go full pirate.
well the smart thing to do unless you care about physical copies was always to pirate everything since currently in places like the us you cannot be arrested for that yet but if people like you keep spreading that word, that may become a reality remember everything that becomes too popular eventually is doomed anime, kpop, video games you name it going digital was always going to be the future anyways and cloud gaming will be part of that

Last edited by dictator24,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: This movie rip so werid has 10180p quality but the audios ripped with movie theater audio quality