Homebrew Unlaunch DSi | First public bootcode exploit for DSi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can confirm that downgrading to 0.9 before upgrading to 1.3 fixes the black screen issue.

So I am 0.8...i can upgrade to 0.9 then 1.3 should fix it yes?

Also how is the best way. I rename unlaunch.dsi to unlaunch.nds and install that method. Is there a better way?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Generally speaking, 1.3 should be stable. A critical bug was fixed in this version which was causing all of the version upgrade issues everyone has been having.
I will give it a shot jerbear64!! But just trying to go about it the best way I can.

elenarguez

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
So, the latest version is stable, right? When I install it, it won't crash my emunand, no? In version 0.9 I had to reinstall Hiya...

Last edited by elenarguez,

marazzmatika

Naive guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
If you plan to use this exploit, currently only the "manual" method works, and you also need to make sure that the launcher .tmd and .app files are both Read Only, otherwise you will brick your system when entering Data Managment, DSi Shop or 3DS Transfer Tool. When the Install Now button works, note that ugopwn and 4swordshax CANNOT be used to install it, as they use the wrong type of payload (minitwlpayload)

Along with the "drama" in the Switch hacking scene, the DSi finally sees a Public Bootcode Exploit. The exploit is called Unlaunch and is currently in very early stages. It is recommended that if you try this exploit that you have a hard mod in case you brick.
To install this exploit, all you need is a DSi, a DSiWare exploit (with sd/mmc access) and the installer. you need to dump and decrypt your nand. Append the Unlaunch.dsi file to the end of the Launcher tmd file, and make sure its read only along with the .app file, encrypt, then re-flash. Detailed instructions can be found when booting the unlaunch.dsi file (use no$gba for ease)

For more information, refer to the link below.
https://problemkaputt.de/gba.htm
Why you must hardmod to install unlaunch? 0.8 installer worked perfectly with my DSi XL. (BTW 0.9 worked too)

Mnecraft368

I hate my name.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why you must hardmod to install unlaunch? 0.8 installer worked perfectly with my DSi XL. (BTW 0.9 worked too)
Going away from the discussion here, if anyone wants to update the OP, please PM an updated version to me and I will make the change.
With all the updates to Unlaunch, and this being the main thread on it, it should probably have more information in it. However, I haven't been in the DSi Scene enough to know what to write. So yeah, if you have any changes you think I should make then PM them to me.

androidrnd

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I've installed Unlaunch 1.3 (last stable version) and now can't properly boot into the default dsi launcher (without bootcode.dsi or with A hotkey). It just freezes on the Unlaunch splash screen 9 out of 10 times. If I repeat turning console off and turning it on again, it will eventually boot but that's tedious. bootcode.dsi from sd card always boots fine tho. Something I can do to fix this?

Device is DSi LL 1.4J

marazzmatika

Naive guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I've installed Unlaunch 1.3 (last stable version) and now can't properly boot into the default dsi launcher (without bootcode.dsi or with A hotkey). It just freezes on the Unlaunch splash screen 9 out of 10 times. If I repeat turning console off and turning it on again, it will eventually boot but that's tedious. bootcode.dsi from sd card always boots fine tho. Something I can do to fix this?

Device is DSi LL 1.4J
Use 0.8 version. It's the most stable one

satelman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, everyone,

I installed unlaunch 0.9 on my DSi console, and later downgraded it to remove unlaunch (by creating a NAND with fwTool v1.6.1 and restoring it with this tool).

Now, I've tried to install any version of unlaunch and they seem to install fine (no installation errors), but then the console boots as if unlaunch was not installed at all (?). I can't use a bootcode.dsi file either (it is completely ignored). Key combinations at boot time do not work, either.

Any ideas why this may be happening? I can't install HiyaCFW or DsiMenu++ anymore, as a result of this strange issue.

Last edited by satelman,

satelman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup! I added an unlaunch installer and it sets the read only flags for both the tmd and the launcher

Edit:
If you wanna take a look, I'll leave the link to the source here:
https://github.com/ThisIsDaAccount/TempNand
https://github.com/ThisIsDaAccount/NandInAJar

TempNand is actually a GUI for the second repo linked, NandInAJar, which actually does all of the work besides handling exceptions and taking user input.

It's all made in java, so that's why it's a pc side tool and not a console side tool

Hi, @ThisIsDaAccount,

I have found a bug related to European DSi consoles and the tempNand unlaunch installer.

I have a European DSi console and I used your latest tempNand version to add unlaunch to my nand copy and then I opened this modified nand copy in OSFMount to look for any changes and, do you know what? I found that the .tmd file was not changed at all in the 484e4150 (EUR) folder, but a new folder, 484E4145 (US), was created with the unlaunch .tmd file instead! So I think this unlauch installer is not working properly for European DSi consoles. I'm attaching a file with the title 00030017 contents extracted from my nand copy so that you may see what I mean.

Could you please have a look at this issue and fix it if possible? I would like to install unlaunch through your tempNand tool since I have a strange issue that prevents me from installing directly through hbmenu (unlaunch apparently installs, but when I reboot the console nothing different happens, the home menu appears, and I can't launch bootcode.dsi. Key combinations do not work either).

UPDATE: Now I know what is the issue about not being able to install unlauch normally. If you downgrade a nand copy, something happens to the launcher title that makes it impossible to install unlaunch through its installer (it seems to install, but it doesn't). That's why it would be awesome to be able to use your installer in tempNand instead!

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• title.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 212
Last edited by satelman,
Reactions: Garcimak

edo9300

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Okay. Thanks!

I'm assuming that both 1.4.4 and 1.4.5 are identical with the exception that 1.4.5 blocks some flashcarts. Right?
Yeah, basically almost all the updates from 1.4 only added additional filters, for example up until 1.4.3 you could copy unsigned saves from the SD, and the 1.4.4 removed only this possibility

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://stockanalysis.com/stocks/ntdoy/market-cap/ I think they'll be alright