Mnecraft368

I hate my name.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
---- Dead Thread ----

It is recommended to install Unlaunch 0.8 or higher as these releases are more stable than previous versions.

Along with the "drama" in the Switch hacking scene, the DSi finally sees a Public Bootcode Exploit. The exploit is called Unlaunch and is currently in very early stages. It is recommended that if you try this exploit that you have a hard mod in case you brick.
To install this exploit, all you need is a DSi, a DSiWare exploit (with sd/mmc access) and the installer. you need to dump and decrypt your nand. Append the Unlaunch.dsi file to the end of the Launcher tmd file, and make sure its read only along with the .app file, encrypt, then re-flash. Detailed instructions can be found when booting the unlaunch.dsi file (use no$gba for ease)

For more information, refer to the link below.
https://problemkaputt.de/gba.htm

Last edited by Mnecraft368,

Mnecraft368

I hate my name.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Using this tool is thoroughly unrecommended and has a very serious chance of rendering your system permanently unusable!

Do not use any bootcode exploits until RocketLauncher is released!
CAUTION: This is still in mostly untested beta stage.
Currently this should be used only if you have an eMMC backup & an installed hardmod - so you can unbrick if something goes wrong.
^ Added to op

Last edited by Mnecraft368,

Deleted member 381889

Guide Writer
Trophies
XP
Last edited by Deleted member 381889,

Mnecraft368

I hate my name.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just for notice: This exploit may be public but is a PoC and should only be used with a hard mod (if at all)
This thread is only here because it is not often we see something like this (especially in the DSi scene)

ChampionLeake

NTR/TWL Exploiter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone who will use this exploit or already has it installed, please do not open data management or the DSi Shop or 3DS Transfer Tool. Doing this will brick your DSi. The reason why it bricks is because this exploit involves the TMD of the NAND.

EDIT: I strongly suggest waiting for RocketLauncher or HiyaCFW to release. Maybe wait for a stable build of unlaunch.

Reactions: Mnecraft368

Mnecraft368

I hate my name.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone who will use this exploit or already has it installed, please do not open data management or the DSi Shop or 3DS Transfer Tool. Doing this will brick your DSi. The reason why it bricks is because this exploit involves the TMD of the NAND.

EDIT: I strongly suggest waiting for RocketLauncher or HiyaCFW to release. Maybe wait for a stable build of unlaunch.
Using this tool is thoroughly unrecommended and has a very serious chance of rendering your system permanently unusable!

Do not use any bootcode exploits until RocketLauncher is released!
More notices onto the op, cant be getting lots of bricks :/

some1ne

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States

Thank you for the heads up. I installed the exploit and it's been fine so far, didn't know about this data management issue.

Mnecraft368

I hate my name.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for the heads up. I installed the exploit and it's been fine so far, didn't know about this data management issue.
I tried to but I got stuck at "Loading FAT"

Probably good that I didnt. Might play around with this in no$gba where there is no risk of bricking.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Yeah right now due to there not being a SD redirect patch in his code, you could brick by attempting to use Data Management in System Settings or by booting DSi Shop or 3DS Transfer Tool. Due to how the exploit works (installs modified oversized TMD file for Launcher to cause overflow in stage2 bootloader) this means that those 3 apps see the malformed TMD file as invalid and removes it (and probably deletes Launcher along with it) causing stage2 to show the error for missing Launcher the next time you boot the console.

bennyman123abc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah right now due to there not being a SD redirect patch in his code, you could brick by attempting to use Data Management in System Settings or by booting DSi Shop or 3DS Transfer Tool. Due to how the exploit works (installs modified oversized TMD file for Launcher to cause overflow in stage2 bootloader) this means that those 3 apps see the malformed TMD file as invalid and removes it (and probably deletes Launcher along with it) causing stage2 to show the error for missing Launcher the next time you boot the console.
Could there be an SD redirect patch, however? Or any other way to prevent this from bricking one's DSi?

Apache Thunder

Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Yeah. SD redirect patch from HiyaCFW can be used. I believe I made NoCash aware of this patch awhile back while talking with him on early RocketLauncher issues/testing. So not sure why he didn't attempt to implement it yet...The change to make it work is super simple and isn't any where near as complicated as 3DS Emunand...

bennyman123abc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah. SD redirect patch from HiyaCFW can be used. I believe I made NoCash aware of this patch awhile back while talking with him on early RocketLauncher issues/testing. So not sure why he didn't attempt to implement it yet...The change to make it work is super simple and isn't any where near as complicated as 3DS Emunand...
Perhaps this is just an early build then? I'm sure he has his reasons for not implementing this or something similar yet.

Apache Thunder

Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
I checked his forum thread. It appears his mitigation for the issue was to write protect flag the tmd file. (which appearently Nintendo's apps will obey?). Would still like to see him open source this at some point though....

Would like to choose which patches are applied, ability to disable the program from displaying anything on screen during the boot process (during the exploit and not during the install process obviously). Maybe he already plans this but was just pushing out an early build for now. I hope he still considers the SD redirect patch. I've been using it for well over a year now and have not encountered any issues with it. So it should work with his setup too.

Last edited by Apache Thunder,
Reactions: bennyman123abc

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Right onto uremums 3d printed dildo