Hacking Unique Problem?

Boogieman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a problem that I'm not sure how to deal with.

After hours and hours looking at different websites trying to find ways to mod my Wii (I found Homebrew, bought Lego Indiana Jones, installed the Homebrew Channel)

I am now looking to play my backed up wii games.

SO! I found Darkcorp v1.1 (looked like the best from all of my research) and I read up on it/watched videos/etc.

I backed up my NAND and go to install it, and choose the virgin method (I don't have the Turcha Bug Restored, or CIOS installed or anything other than homebrew and read that this would take care of all of that).

Fine. Great. It restarted pretty quick (after the first 100% Title Load).

I go to install Darkcorp version 1.01 and after the a second or so, my screen goes blank - nothing on it, no signal. Waiting a few (5+) minutes (I was warned to stand 6 feet away) I turn the power of my Wii off.

Fearing the worst, I turn it back on, and it still works, but it doesnt read a burned backup. I tried it again, tried uninstalling then doing it again, etc. Did this 4 times (I don't fear breaking it for some reason) and nothing. I'm on my fifth run and I'm going to leave it on over-night.

Are there any suggestions? Should I not trust the "Virgin Wii Installer"?

Please let me know.

P.S. This is a pretty *old Wii, so I don't think it has the new optical drive that can't physically play it

P.P.S. I'm running on 4.3u before Homebrew was even installed.

bazamuffin

RESIDENT HATER OF POLITICAL POSTING WANKSTAINS
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
DARKCORP overwrites pretty much all of your IOS's with patched/custom ones. If I were you I would just install cIOSx rev21 (see filetrip.net) and install base 37 to slot 247, base 57 into slot 248 and base 56 into slot 249. Then install Neogamma either as a channel or as a forwarder. Simpler, cleaner

Boogieman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@bazamuffin - thank you for the reply. I am not sure how to install the things you mentioned (before today I had no idea what any of this even was) is there any documentation I can use?

I'm over-tired and don't remember all of the forum rules here, I know there are no roms!, but can I ask for a point in the right direction for neogamma?

Thanks again

Edit: Holy crap - I think I may have found the information I was looking for in the sticky in this forum! haha. Will read it and update.

bazamuffin

Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay

Boogieman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
All of this sounds like it needs the turcha bug.

Thanks for the links

Edit: ModMii sounds awesome - I'm giving it a shot. I trust it doesnt format my SD card right? I have my NAND backup on there

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Boogieman said:
(I was warned to stand 6 feet away)
And you're absolutely sure you didn't came any closer at any point during that time?
blink.gif

...but more serious: I don't know for sure why the installation failed. But honestly...darkcorp is only needed if you insist on running backup discs from the disc channel. Using an USB drive is a cleaner solution. And for discs, I strongly suggest Bazamuffin's solution as well instead of going darkcorp (which is known to conflict with other homebrew such as the homebrew channel).
You can find neogamma in the stickies of the backup loaders (linky).

If you're still struggling with things, would you please use syscheck and paste the results of your installed IOS/cIOS'es here?

I also have to warn you: even old wii's can be picky about backup discs. Use imgburn at a low burn speed and don't use cheap DVD's.

bazamuffin

Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Wever said:
I also have to warn you: even old wii's can be picky about backup discs. Use imgburn at a low burn speed and don't use cheap DVD's.

Mine has suddenly refused to read DL discs. Sucks, cos I wanna try SSBB Project M
mad.gif
Have ordered a lens cleaner though (fingers crossed it works)

Boogieman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Working with ModMii as we speak.

haha the 6 feet thing was from a guide (maybe the DarkCorp Readme even - it blurs)

I understand USB drive is a cleaner solution - personally, I can't wait to do it for my actual Wii. However, for this one, I have to do it this way for now and don't care about any other homebrew.

I will look @ neogamma soon. Updates Pending.

I've used imgburn for a very very long time; however, the burn speed was on AWS - will that really make a difference? I use Fujifilm DVD+R's which, as far as I'm concerned, are among the best out there.

Thanks for the replies guys

Edit: AWS is the automatic setting IMGBurn has. it was probably an average of about 7x.

Edit 2: The reason I am assuming the installation failed, is because I'm supposed to get those errors if I try running the Darkcorp installs again. As I mentioned, I subsiquently ran them 3 more times haha.

Boogieman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
bazamuffin said:
Wever said:

Mine has suddenly refused to read DL discs. Sucks, cos I wanna try SSBB Project M
mad.gif

That's gotta suck. Hard. Burning DL discs are a pain, especially since I'm hearing suggestions for lowest speed. As for reading them, if my understanding's correct, the read speed of burned games is halved. If this is consistent with DVD+-DL then it will crawl. Might not be able to sustain the required speeds for the games - just a thought anyways.

bazamuffin

Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Boogieman said:
bazamuffin said:
Wever said:

mad.gif

That's gotta suck. Hard. Burning DL discs are a pain, especially since I'm hearing suggestions for lowest speed. As for reading them, if my understanding's correct, the read speed of burned games is halved. If this is consistent with DVD+-DL then it will crawl. Might not be able to sustain the required speeds for the games - just a thought anyways.

Worked absolutely fine up until a week ago. I would seriously think about boarding the USB train. Save a bomb on disks and take some strain off your drive!! Also, no burning at 1x

Boogieman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
bazamuffin said:
Worked absolutely fine up until a week ago. I would seriously think about boarding the USB train. Save a bomb on disks and take some strain off your drive!! Also, no burning at 1x

Cleaning might do it then *fingers crossed*. Then again, Wii's might be architecturally different - I'm basing my understanding off of optical drives off of PC's (while the dvd format is consistent, things like the new drive's inability to read DVD +/- suggests modification). As for the USB train; I'm all for it, but this is not a Wii I am keeping and therefore it isn't my call.

Cost wise if we assume that a 2 TB drive is approximately $80, and when formatted yeilds 1.8 TB (I am not 100% sure on the formatting efficiency of FAT32, esp @ these sizes), then that is approximately 4 spindles worth of DVD's (regular 4.7 GB) which @ $20 a piece yeild the same price. Matters change when you delve into DVD DL's but it still isn't a big difference give the cost of a dock for the 2 TB drive too.

Definitly much better looking/much better space management/long lasting though.

Edit: Speaking of the USB Train...FAT32 cannot hold files greater than 4GB! You would have to split the ISO into parts to be able to fit it on the file system. Is that possible?

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Boogieman said:
I've used imgburn for a very very long time; however, the burn speed was on AWS - will that really make a difference? I use Fujifilm DVD+R's which, as far as I'm concerned, are among the best out there.
The hard part about it is that there is no standard. I've heard reports of others who were able to just burn any brand on any speed while others suffered a lot of burned coasters. I'm in the latter category. I had to switch from fujifilm (DVD-R or DVD-RW) to Verbatim (which was the most advised brand on forums). From what I recall, DVD-R was prefered over DVD+R, and rewritables were a bad thing. But considering how DVD-burners are different, wii optical drives are different AND the DVD's themselves tend to be different (okay, that was just one guy telling all of the sudden his brand he always used didn't work anymore), it is rather hard to call something certain. Especially because some of the stories come from people who can't even tell the difference between an IOS and a cIOS (this isn't to look down upon these people...but it means that these stories - if accurate and not missing information - may actually not because of the DVD's but because of a faulty softmod).

The read speed of custom DVD's is indeed half that of retail ones or USB. But this doesn't mean the games themselves are slowed (at worst, things take a little longer to load).

Just comparing prices isn't going to cut it. On a hard disk, it'll take only the real amount of space. There's also no disk failures or DVD drives dying. You won't have to get out of the couch to switch drives anymore. And if you go into the FAT32 format, you can store all your homebrew there (wiimc is a very decent multimedia player).

So...yes. Getting a hard disk is an investment that'll cost you more than just a few blank DVD's. If you don't want or need anything of that, then by all means: stick by them.
smile.gif

Finally: FAT32 indeed has a 4GB limit. For wii iso's, that doesn't matter. A game manager like 'wii backup manager' will split, scrub and store the game so easily you won't even notice which of your games are split and which aren't. That size limit only really matters if you want to put large files on it (like movies).

(note: I thought there was a size limit on FAT32 drives as well. According to wikipedia, this is 2TB, so larger than that means you'll have to do some repatitioning).

bazamuffin

Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Wever said:
I thought there was a size limit on FAT32 drives as well. According to wikipedia, this is 2TB, so larger than that means you'll have to do some repatitioning.

Personally I have a 500gb HDD that serves just fine. REALLY don't get these games hoarders that buy 1 or 2TB units and just fill em up for the sake of it. Seen a thread about someone whinging over the 500 games "limit" in Wiiflow. Who the hell plays 500 games!

Boogieman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wever said:
Boogieman said:
The hard part about it is that there is no standard. I've heard reports of others who were able to just burn any brand on any speed while others suffered a lot of burned coasters. I'm in the latter category. I had to switch from fujifilm (DVD-R or DVD-RW) to Verbatim (which was the most advised brand on forums). From what I recall, DVD-R was prefered over DVD+R, and rewritables were a bad thing. But considering how DVD-burners are different, wii optical drives are different AND the DVD's themselves tend to be different (okay, that was just one guy telling all of the sudden his brand he always used didn't work anymore), it is rather hard to call something certain. Especially because some of the stories come from people who can't even tell the difference between an IOS and a cIOS (this isn't to look down upon these people...but it means that these stories - if accurate and not missing information - may actually not because of the DVD's but because of a faulty softmod).

The read speed of custom DVD's is indeed half that of retail ones or USB. But this doesn't mean the games themselves are slowed (at worst, things take a little longer to load).

Just comparing prices isn't going to cut it. On a hard disk, it'll take only the real amount of space. There's also no disk failures or DVD drives dying. You won't have to get out of the couch to switch drives anymore. And if you go into the FAT32 format, you can store all your homebrew there (wiimc is a very decent multimedia player).

So...yes. Getting a hard disk is an investment that'll cost you more than just a few blank DVD's. If you don't want or need anything of that, then by all means: stick by them.
smile.gif

Finally: FAT32 indeed has a 4GB limit. For wii iso's, that doesn't matter. A game manager like 'wii backup manager' will split, scrub and store the game so easily you won't even notice which of your games are split and which aren't. That size limit only really matters if you want to put large files on it (like movies).

(note: I thought there was a size limit on FAT32 drives as well. According to wikipedia, this is 2TB, so larger than that means you'll have to do some repatitioning).

Verbatim is a great brand, if I were to move from Fujifilm, it would be to Verbatim. I personally like fujifilm for its manufactory process, warrenty (yea yea, who uses that on DVD's, but if a company warrenties it well, it means that it statistically trusts its products not to fail and lose them money). I prefer DVD+R's for their slightly better data protection, but again, this is for PC's not Wii's. The compatibility of DVD-R might be the reason its favored.

Thanks for the read speed info. I wasn't sure if there was any active reading done, or if it was all cached in the load.

Personally, I am 100% on USB hard drive's side. Just need optical for now (long story short). I appreciate the info on the advantages of USB though - I didn't know. I like the sounds of all of these things! haha. I can't wait to finish up this optical hullabaloo and move to USB hard drive on my own Wii.

Since the Wii is not capable of 1080p, there will be no point in media files larger than 4 GB. And yea, there is the 2TB limit - but my meaning was that I'm informing that I am aware of the difference in size in an NTFS formatted 2 TB drive and a FAT 32 2 TB drive (not that someone would really want to spend a premium on a 3 TB in my approximation).

Boogieman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
bazamuffin said:
Wever said:
I thought there was a size limit on FAT32 drives as well. According to wikipedia, this is 2TB, so larger than that means you'll have to do some repatitioning.

Personally I have a 500gb HDD that serves just fine. REALLY don't get these games hoarders that buy 1 or 2TB units and just fill em up for the sake of it. Seen a thread about someone whinging over the 500 games "limit" in Wiiflow. Who the hell plays 500 games!

Hahaha. I used to be like that actually. I tried downloading every good movie/TV show/album about 4 years ago. Woke up one morning and realized the actual time necessary to watch/listen to it all and abandoned my "media database" idea haha.

I was thinking of putting my old 80 GB Sata drives kicking around to some use - I have an awesome dock that lets you pop drives in and out almost like a VHS! The only thing is, if I'm going to have all this cool-sounding stuff running off of it, it doesnt seem practical @ that small.

drewmerc

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Boogieman said:
I trust it doesnt format my SD card right? I have my NAND backup on there

dont know if this has been mentioned but your really should back this up to another place

myself i have a gmail account that i use just for backing up things like this, then no matter what i will always have a remote backup

Boogieman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
drewmerc said:
Boogieman said:

dont know if this has been mentioned but your really should back this up to another place

myself i have a gmail account that i use just for backing up things like this, then no matter what i will always have a remote backup

All this talk about Hard Drive access and remote backups has me thinking - is it possible to do all of this stuff, not just on a usb, but on a network drive? I'm thinking of setting up a NAS (Network Access Storage) Server and that would be super cool to have it connect to a network drive!

Donkey Plonk

Trophies
XP
Country
drewmerc said:
Boogieman said:

Jesus, you upload a 500+meg file for your wii backup, as opposed to just having a disc at home or having it on your computer?
If your pc breaks, what are the odds of the hard drive on that failing at the same time your wii is bricked

Donkey Plonk

Trophies
XP
Country
Boogieman said:
All this talk about Hard Drive access and remote backups has me thinking - is it possible to do all of this stuff, not just on a usb, but on a network drive? I'm thinking of setting up a NAS (Network Access Storage) Server and that would be super cool to have it connect to a network drive!
For homebrew like emulators, media players etc yes this is possible.
For playing games, no this is not possible. Wifi probably isn't quick enough for streaming that sort of data anyway so it'd be fairly useless

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I see your mop and raise you George's mop lol