Android Underwhelmed by Android...

D

Deleted User

But they will never reach a similar price point, Android will always be cheaper for the sheer fact that Google gives the software away for free, and Apple has a monopoly on their OS and has to develop it. Simple logic tells you that Android will be cheaper than iOS. Also, they have been on equal footing with both specs and price before (different occurrences) and Android won in specs when the price was the same, and it also won in price when the specs were about the same (or better).

Also, if you like how iOS looks, there are countless themes available to reskin your phone to look exactly like iOS (hell there are probably custom roms out there for the more popular phones that go into even more detail).

You DO realize that there is a budget iPhone coming out this year because Android completely owns the budget market and is making a LOT and has 61% of the phones share while Apple has like 23%? I know the CEO said that will never happen because the iPhone is a "premium" device or something, but he said the same thing about the iPad Mini a month or 2 before it's release. Either way, Android is way better now in terms of pretty much everything. The problems they used to have with lag are also gone as of Jelly Bean unless you have an old device or a super low budget one-which shouldn't be the case since you can get CHEAP mid range phones with Galaxy S3 level specs, or even the Xiaomi phones which are priced as mid range of less with Galaxy S4 level specs.

Another major reason why I choose Android is because it combines all of the Google services into one place. You can tell me that not everyone uses Google, but the fact of the matter is that at least 99% of the internet users use at least one of their services. Let's not forget that they also own various other companies and their services so that also counts. Android just seems to have a ton of more options as well, from look and fell, to the operating system itself. Speaking fo the OS, iOS is dull and same on every device, whereas on Android, you can get custom roms or just customize your stock rom to look like anything you want, even if it's like iOS. Multi tasking, gimicks like 3D displays and Air Gestures from the S4, or water proofing, dust proofing, shock proofing, and other military standard specs are also a turn on for some and admittedly really fun to use although they are underutilized right now. High res displays (4K tablets) are also available now with Android. On top of all of that, since Android is technically a computer system (Linux), you can do a lot of the things PC can do. There are even Android phones with water cooled processors.

My point is, because Google is such a large company, they have the resources to take everything that is already existent and add more to it to create an epic product. Android is not only for phones, but for anything you can imagine, from glasses (Google Glass), to watches (Smart Watches), to TVs (Smart/Google TV). It's available on so many different platforms that companies don't have to go through the trouble of creating extra hardware and software while spending millions to do so. E.g. (Banks/companies used to create extra hardware to pay using phones, now you can tap you phone to a machine or a paywave bank card and pay instantly using Android's NFC).

Hardware is another major thing-a-ma-bob. The SnapDragon 800 from the Galaxy Note 3 for example is a quad core 2.3 gHz processor that's dangerously close to the Intel Core i5 Haswell (new 4th gen). And that's only this year, the new ones are up to eight cores clocked at 4.5/4.1 gHz I think. Ram is at 3GB as of this year, and gpu/graphics are at a home console level. At the same time, the devices are getting smaller and smaller (or thinner and thinner) as the use better manufacturing processes (22nm vs 28nm which would cost more power and less performance and have a bigger chip than the earlier). iOS and friends are also improving but if you'll notice, they are shrinking while Android grows every year (as well as it's apps which are almost beating Apple's iOS apps). And if you'll notice, iOS is also borrowing features from Android to help itself grow (notification bar, widgets, etc.), although Blackberry had the notification bar first.

Software wise, you're more likely to find higher quality apps on the Android market as well as a LOT more free apps on Android that you need money for on iOS beccause it's so easy to get apps for free on Android that devs have given up with the money approach and are now making more "fremium" games than ever (this goes for iOS as well). Android's market of apps will also exceed iOS' by next year since it is dangerously close right now and grows a lot faster. Add to the fact that Apple reviews every single app submitted and denies some as well. Anyways, have fun and let me know if you need to know something.

Reactions: Fyrus and Duo8

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
also a list feature is included in touchwiz for the app drawer along with the standard abc order grid and a customizable grid

70fq.jpg

mwao.jpg

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another major reason why I choose Android is because it combines all of the Google services into one place. You can tell me that not everyone uses Google, but the fact of the matter is that at least 99% of the internet users use at least one of their services.

Google services are not part of Android. They are added on.

Let's not forget that they also own various other companies and their services so that also counts. Android just seems to have a ton of more options as well, from look and fell, to the operating system itself. Speaking fo the OS, iOS is dull and same on every device, whereas on Android, you can get custom roms or just customize your stock rom to look like anything you want, even if it's like iOS.

If you were a developer, you would not be saying that this is a good thing. Also, are you saying that going from one Android device to another would require the user to relearn how to use the entire interface? What?

Multi tasking, gimicks like 3D displays and Air Gestures from the S4, or water proofing, dust proofing, shock proofing, and other military standard specs are also a turn on for some and admittedly really fun to use although they are underutilized right now. High res displays (4K tablets) are also available now with Android.

The hardware diversity is definitely a strong point with Android versus other platforms, so you hit the nail on the head there.

On top of all of that, since Android is technically a computer system (Linux), you can do a lot of the things PC can do.

Smart phones are PC's (personal computers) by any traditional definition of the term. How is this any different from other platforms? (As an example, Windows Phone runs the Windows NT kernel).

There are even Android phones with water cooled processors.

How is this possibly a good idea?

My point is, because Google is such a large company, they have the resources to take everything that is already existent and add more to it to create an epic product. Android is not only for phones, but for anything you can imagine, from glasses (Google Glass), to watches (Smart Watches), to TVs (Smart/Google TV). It's available on so many different platforms that companies don't have to go through the trouble of creating extra hardware and software while spending millions to do so.

What the fuck? Android is open source, and Google (generally) does not work directly with companies to port the OS to their device. Companies DO need to spend millions of dollars to get Android working on their devices. That's why there was so much fragmentation in the ecosystem.

E.g. (Banks/companies used to create extra hardware to pay using phones, now you can tap you phone to a machine or a paywave bank card and pay instantly using Android's NFC).

So Google both invented and currently has a monopoly on NFC technology?

Hardware is another major thing-a-ma-bob. The SnapDragon 800 from the Galaxy Note 3 for example is a quad core 2.3 gHz processor that's dangerously close to the Intel Core i5 Haswell (new 4th gen).

Sorry, but you have absolutely no idea what the fuck you are talking about. Also, nothing to do with Android.

And that's only this year, the new ones are up to eight cores clocked at 4.5/4.1 gHz I think. Ram is at 3GB as of this year, and gpu/graphics are at a home console level.

Seriously, where are you getting this?

At the same time, the devices are getting smaller and smaller (or thinner and thinner) as the use better manufacturing processes (22nm vs 28nm which would cost more power and less performance and have a bigger chip than the earlier).

The process shrinks, but they add more to the design, so die sizes remain relatively the same, if not increase.

iOS and friends are also improving but if you'll notice, they are shrinking while Android grows every year (as well as it's apps which are almost beating Apple's iOS apps). And if you'll notice, iOS is also borrowing features from Android to help itself grow (notification bar, widgets, etc.), although Blackberry had the notification bar first.

Android phones hit the mass market, so of course they will have the majority.

Software wise, you're more likely to find higher quality apps on the Android market as well as a LOT more free apps on Android that you need money for on iOS beccause it's so easy to get apps for free on Android that devs have given up with the money approach and are now making more "fremium" games than ever (this goes for iOS as well).

Way more developer focus on iOS than Android, especially the premium ones. Deus Ex and Final Fantasy, anyone?

Android's market of apps will also exceed iOS' by next year since it is dangerously close right now and grows a lot faster. Add to the fact that Apple reviews every single app submitted and denies some as well. Anyways, have fun and let me know if you need to know something.

I do have one question: Source?
also a list feature is included in touchwiz for the app drawer along with the standard abc order grid and a customizable grid

So I mean are we talking about Android (the platform) or are we talking about apps? Because that is not part of the AOSP.

D

Deleted User

Google services are not part of Android. They are added on.

If you were a developer, you would not be saying that this is a good thing. Also, are you saying that going from one Android device to another would require the user to relearn how to use the entire interface? What?

The hardware diversity is definitely a strong point with Android versus other platforms, so you hit the nail on the head there.

Smart phones are PC's (personal computers) by any traditional definition of the term. How is this any different from other platforms? (As an example, Windows Phone runs the Windows NT kernel).

How is this possibly a good idea?

What the fuck? Android is open source, and Google (generally) does not work directly with companies to port the OS to their device. Companies DO need to spend millions of dollars to get Android working on their devices. That's why there was so much fragmentation in the ecosystem.

So Google both invented and currently has a monopoly on NFC technology?

Sorry, but you have absolutely no idea what the fuck you are talking about. Also, nothing to do with Android.

Seriously, where are you getting this?

The process shrinks, but they add more to the design, so die sizes remain relatively the same, if not increase.

Android phones hit the mass market, so of course they will have the majority.

Way more developer focus on iOS than Android, especially the premium ones. Deus Ex and Final Fantasy, anyone?

I do have one question: Source?

So I mean are we talking about Android (the platform) or are we talking about apps? Because that is not part of the AOSP.

I COULD spend the next 30 minutes negating everything you just said, but I'm not going to because everything I have said I have said from personal experience (yaers of it). Other than this year, I've had EVERY SINGLE Flasgship device since the Galaxy S2 era and I regularly read up and follow the mobile community. I think you're just one of those fan boys who likes to hate on Android for no good reason. For example, I said nothing about Google owning NFC, I said Android uses it, but none of the other platforms such as iOS or Windows Phone (although I'm not sure about those ones). Google services are an add on? If you're using unauthorized software such as custom roms, OBVIOUSLY they're going to be an add on, but otherwise does every Android not come with them? Once you log into google, does your Android not automatically sync email, photos, apps, your google data, etc? Is that not useful? Have you been using Apple Maps recently?

Because I seriously think you were on the wrong page when you wrong all of this crap. Octa core processors are already being used in Android (Exynos 5 Octa), however, they only run 4 cores at a time right now. 4 are strong for games and such, and 4 are weaker to preserve power. The current max was 2.3 gHz on a processor due to how they make it as well as the architecture ARM has released. However; next year, this is supposed to go to 3.4 gHz+ (I didn't mean 4 gHz). Companies do NOT have to spend millions to port Android. That's the entire point of Android. I could make one within a week by myself. The only thing they really have to work on is their own custom interface which is NOT required.

Companies like Samsung go above and beyond spending millions on R&D, to innovate current technologies such as Air Gestures into Android to give it their own unique twist. As of last year, developer focus has started to shift more and more towards Android and most games are coming out simultaneously apart from the ones that are sequels or were already in production. Why would companies build for iOS exclusively which only has 23-26% of the market, while Android is easier to code in Java and has 61%. Also, Android has multiple Final Fantasy games which only about 100, 000 (MAX) out of the 900 million Android phones have downloaded. Smartphones are VERY different from other platforms. iOS is a MOBILE SPECIFIC OS, while Android is a virtual machine running inside of Linux.

Changing from one Android to another doesn't require you to learn the entire interface again. Go to the store and pick up a phone, there are some phones like the HTC One or Galaxy S4 which change things enough to make you learn it a bit for about a week maybe-but almost all of them have the exact same interface style all the while making it feel completely different. or if you wanted, you COULD make it completely different. Since when are water cooled processor not a good idea?

Just the fact that it can be done while keeping your phone as thin as any and having high end specs is amazing. In case you haven't noticed, a lot of phones have started to heat up quite a bit due to more demanding hardware-this is especially a problem when you have a phone like the Nexus 4 which heats up quicker at the back and hotter due to the glass back. You're comment about Android hitting the mass and having majority has nothing to do with what you quoted but Windows Phone, iOS, and BlackBerry are also available ALL around the world with the exception of a few countries.

As for the hardware thing, I was trying to say that Android has better and more efficient processors such as the i5 and the ARM ones are also pretty close to it. There is a tablet with the Haswell i5 and if you compare benchmarks, you'll see that the mobile Snapdragon 800 (although it might have been 600) has over have of the points that the i5 achieves. For when you asked me for the source, a Google search will reveal to you the actual figures as well as comparing the Play Store with the iTunes website numbers.

If you are seriously asking me this even though it's been a huge discussion for the last 2 years about how Android is about to beat iOS and is growing faster and faster every 6 months, clearly you have been talking out of your a$$ this entire time and are an Apple fan boy who has nothing better to do than troll people. Sorry, but after year of my personal experience with both iPhone 3GS, 4, 4S, 5 (somewhat) as well as every major Android Flagship other than the Sony ones and reading and observing everything for this long, I can tell that you, who's just saying everything out of your own head instead of pulling up actual facts don't know what the fuck YOU'RE talking about. Like seriously, you went through everything and questioned it without even thinking or researching. Also, I was wrong, phones now have 4GB ram. Need proof? Search up the Ubunto Edge phone. In fact, you can pre order on now by supporting the campaign. Or you can get a Galaxy Note 3 with 3/4gb of ram later this year.

So in the end I ended up writing for 30 minutes anyway, but it's been fun making you seem so stupid. I'm just tired of all of you fan boy trolls on the internet who don't take anything into consideration and need to seriously do your homework or think ahead before you say something. Good luck Have fun.

EDIT:

I came back to anti-troll you even further with this freshly released news of a mobile gpu that's twice as prower full as a PS3 running on Android and only drawing out 2-3 watts. Enjoy little troll.

Also, it can run Unreal Engine 4 on an Android tablet. Bye bye

Article:

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/07/...brings-pc-graphics-to-smartphones-and-tablets

Reference Face Demo:

Reactions: Duo8 and PityOnU

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dear Roguezz,

I very much enjoyed both of your posts that accused me of being a troll, especially the second one that included nothing but a funny YouTube video. I love Family Guy! Pretty much may favorite series.

I COULD spend the next 30 minutes negating everything you just said, but I'm not going to because everything I have said I have said from personal experience (yaers of it).

You actually did :P

Other than this year, I've had EVERY SINGLE Flasgship device since the Galaxy S2 era and I regularly read up and follow the mobile community.

That's actually really cool. Must have been expensive, though.

I think you're just one of those fan boys who likes to hate on Android for no good reason. For example, I said nothing about Google owning NFC, I said Android uses it, but none of the other platforms such as iOS or Windows Phone (although I'm not sure about those ones).

I'm sorry you feel that way. I don't think I'm being unreasonable by having a different opinion than you. Android is actually a great OS for tablets. However, the OP in this thread was specifically talking about phones, which I don't believe Android is very good for. You may interpret my intentions however you like.

And I'm not sure about iOS devices as I have never used one, but my Windows Phone does NFC just fine.

Google services are an add on? If you're using unauthorized software such as custom roms, OBVIOUSLY they're going to be an add on, but otherwise does every Android not come with them? Once you log into google, does your Android not automatically sync email, photos, apps, your google data, etc? Is that not useful?

Google services are extremely useful, yes, but they are not part of Android. You can download Android from the Google repos following the instructions here. If you use that and build Android for yourself, there are no Google apps included with it. If you want them, you can get them in a system image here, or flash them yourself using the files here. The Google apps are just that: apps. They are .apk's as well as a few system files that are added later on IF (as you say) the company has the device certified by Google.

Octa core processors are already being used in Android (Exynos 5 Octa), however, they only run 4 cores at a time right now. 4 are strong for games and such, and 4 are weaker to preserve power. The current max was 2.3 gHz on a processor due to how they make it as well as the architecture ARM has released. However; next year, this is supposed to go to 3.4 gHz+ (I didn't mean 4 gHz).

So you were totally wrong when you said that new ARM processors are clocked at 4.1GHz? That's okay, man, this stuff takes a lot to keep up with. And yes, the octa-core processors are interesting (but not really as cool as they sound since only 4 are used at once). But again, this is all related to hardware manufacturers and doesn't really have much to do with Android. All of the prototypes are running Android as it is completely open source and much easier for them to modify than any other mobile OS out there right now. Further down the road, any OS could be run on those chips.

Companies do NOT have to spend millions to port Android. That's the entire point of Android. I could make one within a week by myself. The only thing they really have to work on is their own custom interface which is NOT required.

The cost of creating an Android device is largely in patent fees and device driver development. However, it's difficult to determine any real numbers as companies are very reluctant to reveal them.

Companies like Samsung go above and beyond spending millions on R&D, to innovate current technologies such as Air Gestures into Android to give it their own unique twist. As of last year, developer focus has started to shift more and more towards Android and most games are coming out simultaneously apart from the ones that are sequels or were already in production. Why would companies build for iOS exclusively which only has 23-26% of the market, while Android is easier to code in Java and has 61%. Also, Android has multiple Final Fantasy games which only about 100, 000 (MAX) out of the 900 million Android phones have downloaded.

To name a few apps:

Vine
Nike+
Robot Unicorn Attack 2
Deus Ex: The Fall

And those were just from a quick search. All were either delayed coming to Android, or (in the case of Desu Ex) iOS exclusive. The FF games you mentioned were also delayed coming to Android. Unfortunately (or otherwise), iOS really does win when it comes to AAA apps (NOT fan boy I don't even own an Apple device).

Smartphones are VERY different from other platforms. iOS is a MOBILE SPECIFIC OS, while Android is a virtual machine running inside of Linux.

Well... yes I would suppose that mobile OS platforms are different from traditional ones. I don't think there was ever any question about that. Still, Windows Phone uses the same kernel as Windows 8, and Android uses the Linux kernel. No idea regarding iOS.

Also, Android IS Linux. I think you're getting confused by the fact that the user-level applications each run in their own instance of the Dalvik virtual machine.

Changing from one Android to another doesn't require you to learn the entire interface again. Go to the store and pick up a phone, there are some phones like the HTC One or Galaxy S4 which change things enough to make you learn it a bit for about a week maybe-but almost all of them have the exact same interface style all the while making it feel completely different. or if you wanted, you COULD make it completely different.

So a lot of them are different and you do have to relearn them "for about a week"?

Since when are water cooled processor not a good idea? Just the fact that it can be done while keeping your phone as thin as any and having high end specs is amazing. In case you haven't noticed, a lot of phones have started to heat up quite a bit due to more demanding hardware-this is especially a problem when you have a phone like the Nexus 4 which heats up quicker at the back and hotter due to the glass back.

Water cooling is a very cool/good idea - just not for mobile platforms. The entire idea behind water cooling is that you use the water to pull the heat from whatever is making it and move it into a radiator that is cooled by air being pushed through it. I certainly wouldn't want to be walking around with a phone filled with liquid with a decent-sized radiator and fan on it. Also, source for the water-cooled phone, please. It sounds interesting.

You're comment about Android hitting the mass and having majority has nothing to do with what you quoted but Windows Phone, iOS, and BlackBerry are also available ALL around the world with the exception of a few countries.

They're actually limited in a number of countries due to inability to access the required services. Also, there are a lot of really cheap Android phones. There are only one or two cheap Windows Phones, and no cheap iOS phones.

As for the hardware thing, I was trying to say that Android has better and more efficient processors such as the i5 and the ARM ones are also pretty close to it. There is a tablet with the Haswell i5 and if you compare benchmarks, you'll see that the mobile Snapdragon 800 (although it might have been 600) has over have of the points that the i5 achieves. For when you asked me for the source, a Google search will reveal to you the actual figures as well as comparing the Play Store with the iTunes website numbers.

This is what you actually said: "The SnapDragon 800 from the Galaxy Note 3 for example is a quad core 2.3 gHz processor that's dangerously close to the Intel Core i5 Haswell (new 4th gen)."

According to the Snapdragon 800 article here, its graphical performance is 1/3 that of an i5 HD4000 iGPU, and it's processing power is snipping dangerously at the heals of the Intel Atom line. Which is nowhere close to even the most low-end Haswell i5 - the i5-4250U.

If you were referring only to power efficiency, perhaps you should be more specific in the future.

Also, this again has nothing to do with Android specifically.

If you are seriously asking me this even though it's been a huge discussion for the last 2 years about how Android is about to beat iOS and is growing faster and faster every 6 months, clearly you have been talking out of your a$$ this entire time and are an Apple fan boy who has nothing better to do than troll people.

I'm pretty sure that, penetration wise, Android has been handily beating iOS for some time now. I'm not sure where I ever disagreed with that...

Sorry, but after year of my personal experience with both iPhone 3GS, 4, 4S, 5 (somewhat) as well as every major Android Flagship other than the Sony ones and reading and observing everything for this long, I can tell that you, who's just saying everything out of your own head instead of pulling up actual facts don't know what the fuck YOU'RE talking about. Like seriously, you went through everything and questioned it without even thinking or researching.

Well that's kind of mean... and hypocritical! You didn't link a single source article in your rebuttal here.

Also, I was wrong, phones now have 4GB ram. Need proof? Search up the Ubunto Edge phone. In fact, you can pre order on now by supporting the campaign. Or you can get a Galaxy Note 3 with 3/4gb of ram later this year.

I didn't realize that phones that MAY be released in the future (more than a year from now) were being considered in the conversation. Related, though, 3GB of RAM does seem to be on the horizon for the end of this year.

So in the end I ended up writing for 30 minutes anyway, but it's been fun making you seem so stupid. I'm just tired of all of you fan boy trolls on the internet who don't take anything into consideration and need to seriously do your homework or think ahead before you say something. Good luck Have fun.

Yes siree, you got me pretty good. Boy do I feel silly!

I came back to anti-troll you even further with this freshly released news of a mobile gpu that's twice as prower full as a PS3 running on Android and only drawing out 2-3 watts. Enjoy little troll. Also, it can run Unreal Engine 4 on an Android tablet. Bye bye

Yes, I saw that today. Very cool! But it's scheduled for release in 2014, so not anytime soon. Also, why is this Android specific again? After all, they go as far as to say, "It also supports DirectX 11, Microsoft’s latest graphics API."

And now we will all sing without you little troll. PityOnU

Says the guy who double posts and links funny videos in order to do nothing but make personal attacks on a fellow member of the forum.

D

Deleted User

Dear Roguezz,

I very much enjoyed both of your posts that accused me of being a troll, especially the second one that included nothing but a funny YouTube video. I love Family Guy! Pretty much may favorite series.

You actually did :P

That's actually really cool. Must have been expensive, though.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I don't think I'm being unreasonable by having a different opinion than you. Android is actually a great OS for tablets. However, the OP in this thread was specifically talking about phones, which I don't believe Android is very good for. You may interpret my intentions however you like.

And I'm not sure about iOS devices as I have never used one, but my Windows Phone does NFC just fine.

Google services are extremely useful, yes, but they are not part of Android. You can download Android from the Google repos following the instructions here. If you use that and build Android for yourself, there are no Google apps included with it. If you want them, you can get them in a system image here, or flash them yourself using the files here. The Google apps are just that: apps. They are .apk's as well as a few system files that are added later on IF (as you say) the company has the device certified by Google.

So you were totally wrong when you said that new ARM processors are clocked at 4.1GHz? That's okay, man, this stuff takes a lot to keep up with. And yes, the octa-core processors are interesting (but not really as cool as they sound since only 4 are used at once). But again, this is all related to hardware manufacturers and doesn't really have much to do with Android. All of the prototypes are running Android as it is completely open source and much easier for them to modify than any other mobile OS out there right now. Further down the road, any OS could be run on those chips.

The cost of creating an Android device is largely in patent fees and device driver development. However, it's difficult to determine any real numbers as companies are very reluctant to reveal them.

To name a few apps:

Vine
Nike+
Robot Unicorn Attack 2
Deus Ex: The Fall

And those were just from a quick search. All were either delayed coming to Android, or (in the case of Desu Ex) iOS exclusive. The FF games you mentioned were also delayed coming to Android. Unfortunately (or otherwise), iOS really does win when it comes to AAA apps (NOT fan boy I don't even own an Apple device).

Well... yes I would suppose that mobile OS platforms are different from traditional ones. I don't think there was ever any question about that. Still, Windows Phone uses the same kernel as Windows 8, and Android uses the Linux kernel. No idea regarding iOS.

Also, Android IS Linux. I think you're getting confused by the fact that the user-level applications each run in their own instance of the Dalvik virtual machine.

So a lot of them are different and you do have to relearn them "for about a week"?

Water cooling is a very cool/good idea - just not for mobile platforms. The entire idea behind water cooling is that you use the water to pull the heat from whatever is making it and move it into a radiator that is cooled by air being pushed through it. I certainly wouldn't want to be walking around with a phone filled with liquid with a decent-sized radiator and fan on it. Also, source for the water-cooled phone, please. It sounds interesting.

They're actually limited in a number of countries due to inability to access the required services. Also, there are a lot of really cheap Android phones. There are only one or two cheap Windows Phones, and no cheap iOS phones.

This is what you actually said: "The SnapDragon 800 from the Galaxy Note 3 for example is a quad core 2.3 gHz processor that's dangerously close to the Intel Core i5 Haswell (new 4th gen)."

According to the Snapdragon 800 article here, its graphical performance is 1/3 that of an i5 HD4000 iGPU, and it's processing power is snipping dangerously at the heals of the Intel Atom line. Which is nowhere close to even the most low-end Haswell i5 - the i5-4250U.

If you were referring only to power efficiency, perhaps you should be more specific in the future.

Also, this again has nothing to do with Android specifically.

I'm pretty sure that, penetration wise, Android has been handily beating iOS for some time now. I'm not sure where I ever disagreed with that...

Well that's kind of mean... and hypocritical! You didn't link a single source article in your rebuttal here.

I didn't realize that phones that MAY be released in the future (more than a year from now) were being considered in the conversation. Related, though, 3GB of RAM does seem to be on the horizon for the end of this year.

Yes siree, you got me pretty good. Boy do I feel silly!

Yes, I saw that today. Very cool! But it's scheduled for release in 2014, so not anytime soon. Also, why is this Android specific again? After all, they go as far as to say, "It also supports DirectX 11, Microsoft’s latest graphics API."

Says the guy who double posts and links funny videos in order to do nothing but make personal attacks on a fellow member of the forum.

Yeah, I'm not doing this again, but here's the water cooled phone which is still thin:

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Repo...eat-pipe-inside-new-smartphone-models_id44174

Here's Android's app store which has already beat the iOS one's proof:

http://blog.gsmarena.com/google-play-is-now-the-largest-app-store-with-1-million-apps/

Here's a video of better gaming graphics-the lag in the video is the video itself because it was recorded off of a stream or something-feel free to find a better one:

Here's proof of the Haswell thing but the galaxy S4 used has Snap Dragon 600, not 800:

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sams...tters-all-records-Core-i5-benchmarked_id44433

My device is Samsung ATIV Q with Haswell i5-4200U and the second Galaxy S4 has a SnapDragon 600. Haswell is only 60% faster than an 800, so next year's faster, higher clocked with more cores mobile processors should close the gap.

samsung-ativ-q-antutu-benchmark-1.jpg

My bad for being mean, I hadn't slept in over 24 hours and the double post was an accident so I edited it with that video.

Octa Core mobile processor (all 8 cores working at once):

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/27/mediatek-octa-core/

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately, I believe the big reason that app developers have doubts about porting apps to Android is not only due to some difficulty, but because you don't even need root to pirate an application. iOS devices need to at least be jailbroken to pirate applications. To be honest though, I think that after the jailbreaking process, pirating on iOS is a whole lot easier than pirating on Android, since many Android games can require certain files to be placed into certain folders, and sometimes may need to be manually patched to get to work, whilst iOS devices only need to have a 3rd party app store and just tap the download button.

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Unfortunately, I believe the big reason that app developers have doubts about porting apps to Android is not only due to some difficulty, but because you don't even need root to pirate an application. iOS devices need to at least be jailbroken to pirate applications. To be honest though, I think that after the jailbreaking process, pirating on iOS is a whole lot easier than pirating on Android, since many Android games can require certain files to be placed into certain folders, and sometimes may need to be manually patched to get to work, whilst iOS devices only need to have a 3rd party app store and just tap the download button.
Apple stores in my place can give you pirated apps preinstalled to your device without jailbreak. No idea how though.

2ndApex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Didn't read through the thread but emu devs who actually give a fuck are a big plus.

iOS N64 emulation is miles behind the PSPs, while Android's is pretty dang good even on mediocre devices.

Reactions: Hikaru

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apple stores in my place can give you pirated apps preinstalled to your device without jailbreak. No idea how though.

I'm not surprised. I'm guessing it's something similar to this. Quite frankly, piracy is the norm even publicly in many Asian countries. I have the entire Dragonball GT series on pirated DVDs, my mom bought them for me while we were visiting family in Vietnam, they have stands just full of 'em.

trigger_ftu

The FantomPhox
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Technically android is open. This is why it is soo liked by its community. Where as apple and simplistic all from apple and closed to what apple approves.

You don't really need to root to install a custom ROM that doesn't have all the bloatware that your carrier or third party hardware distributer has added, and all hardware is in a way different flavors. Apple means apple means apple I.e. apple hardware apple software. Android has unlimited possibilities you don't have to wait a year for a new device with better benchmarks it may just be released next week. The fact is both platforms have their advantages and disadvantages. Personally I have recommended miui to any one converting from apple, due to its ui similarities to apple it has helped some people adapt.

Lastly tools and integration. Apple products are mostly limited to apple hardware. Android has tools easy and simple to get that allows for cross platform integration. I have an apple TV at home that I use airplay with my Google nexus 4 all the time for games and videos. (Apple TV 3 cannot be jail broken so this is a great feat). Basically one is open the other closed, customizable to the limit of your imagination and then there's limitations to what the primary party (apple) has approved.

Reactions: PityOnU
D

Deleted User

Didn't read through the thread but emu devs who actually give a fuck are a big plus.

iOS N64 emulation is miles behind the PSPs, while Android's is pretty dang good even on mediocre devices.

It's much easier to emulate on Android as well. Android can now emulate the Nintendo DS at full speed (60 fps+) with filters and all. Of course you have to have at least a Snapdragon 600 or higher processor to do so properly. Even on the Galaxy S3, after over clocking I was able to run Mystery Dungeon (sky) at around 40 fps. One of the good things about owing all of the flagships is that I've been tracking and seeing how emulation is advancing on the DS. When I had my HTC One in April/May or whenever I had it this year, I was able to play Mystery Dungeon at 60fps. With the newer phones, it should be perfect now.

Here's the emulator in question:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.opendoorstudios.ds4droid

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse