Understanding the impact of region changes in 2023

ChameleonSkin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure I'm not the only one that has noticed that right now there is much greater availability of New 3DS LLs (i.e. the Japanese model) than there is of the New 3DS XL. I want to buy a backup unit now for the day when my current 3DS kicks the bucket, but I don't really want to navigate the system menus in Japanese every time I want to use it. Consequently I'm thinking of getting an LL and changing the region to US, but I wanted to make sure I'm understanding the full impact of this. From reading the 3DS Hacks guide, it seems that region changing has the following effects:

1. You can no longer buy or re-download content you already bought from the eShop
2. You can't change back to the original region your device was from or revert to stock firmware without restoring an original backed-up NAND
3. You can't do a system transfer from a genuine US device to a JP to US region-changed device
4. Your NNID is pegged to your region

Pretty sure I don't care about 1 and 3 - eShop is gone for purchases, I mainly use my console for homebrew and cart games, and I'm happy to use alternate methods of finding update cia's for my existing games. If I change it from Japan to US, I don't see a reason why I'd ever want to change it back (or go back to stock firmware - I won't ever be selling it). And rather than do a system transfer, I'd probably just set up the new unit from scratch and use Checkpoint to move over any of the saves I care about.

So that just leaves 4. I'm not really sure what this part of the guide means, though: "You will not be able to use your NNID (if you have one). NNIDs are locked to the region that they were created in." Does that mean if I have an existing US region NNID that I will not be able to use it on a JP to US region-changed device? Or does it just mean that I won't be able to carry over a JP region NNID on the unit after a system transfer? Ideally I would want to continue using my same NNID from my existing US unit, but the language isn't quite clear on whether that would be possible or not.

Other than that, is there anything I'm missing?

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does that mean if I have an existing US region NNID that I will not be able to use it on a JP to US region-changed device?
Correct. Meaning you can't use that US NNID to re-download your games etc. Though that doesn't affect the ability to play your games online.
I'd make a nand backup of your JP nand before region changing, and store it somewhere safe.
*Edited

Last edited by CoolMe,

ChameleonSkin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep, I definitely back up stock NAND/sysMMC/whatever before I start hacking a device. So does the above mean that I can create a new US NNID after the region change that will work on the device (understanding that it can't download anything including updates from the eShop - this would just be for having a friend list, online play, etc)? i.e. I just can't reuse an existing NNID? Or does it mean that it will somehow keep my JP NNID on the device even after the region change?

Ultimately the only thing I really care about keeping that's attached to my existing NNID is my friend list. I don't think I use my NNID for anything else that I can think of.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So does the above mean that I can create a new US NNID after the region change that will work on the device
No, only JP NNID's will (the system's true region).
(understanding that it can't download anything including updates from the eShop
You can for updates, just checked.
- this would just be for having a friend list, online play, etc)? i.e. I just can't reuse an existing NNID?
If it's Japanese, yes, not for a US NNID.
Or does it mean that it will somehow keep my JP NNID on the device even after the region change?
It's not about a specific NNID but the region of the NNID, you can't use a US NNID on a "US" (region changed JP) 3ds.
Ultimately the only thing I really care about keeping that's attached to my existing NNID is my friend list. I don't think I use my NNID for anything else that I can think of.
You can just add again manually? Just tell them so they could add you too.

Clector

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
If you can't connect to the eShop, game updates from the Home Menu will also fail.

The eShop's also only have game updates for titles released on that region by the way, so if the TitleID is for a game not avaliable in the region for the console account and the region it's connecting to, it'll fail as well.

Kelly_Overtone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(doesn't affect the N3ds XL/LL I don't believe), but- if it's an O3ds XL/LL, after the region change
every time you exit an applet it'll stick and freeze on the white screens w/ the banner that says Home Screen. Also,
certain games won't work; anything w/ extended memory like SS Bros, Mario Maker, Pokemon Bank & Transporter etc...I've also seen a weird red error screens w/ ARMxxsomething I didn't get a shot of but hasn't happened again as of yet- occured when I was saving a game at a (very long begotten!) critical point... that wasn't fun either!

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
(doesn't affect the N3ds XL/LL I don't believe), but- if it's an O3ds XL/LL, after the region change
every time you exit an applet it'll stick and freeze on the white screens w/ the banner that says Home Screen. Also,
certain games won't work; anything w/ extended memory like SS Bros, Mario Maker, Pokemon Bank & Transporter etc...I've also seen a weird red error screens w/ ARMxxsomething I didn't get a shot of but hasn't happened again as of yet- occured when I was saving a game at a (very long begotten!) critical point... that wasn't fun either!
all extended mode games WILL work. You need to perform a system reformat which the guide will tell you to do once your ready.

Reactions: CoolMe

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but- if it's an O3ds XL/LL, after the region change
every time you exit an applet it'll stick and freeze on the white screens w/ the banner that says Home Screen.
That's weird, don't think that should happen, maybe there's an issue with your sd card, or something else hardware-related if it wasn't the sd card?
I suggest checking your sd card for errors with h2testw, back up your data, empty the sdcard then run the test, it will tell you if it's faulty.
I've also seen a weird red error screens w/ ARMxxsomething I didn't get a shot of but hasn't happened again as of yet-
Hmm, did that occur when playing DS games through TWilightMenu? Sounds like it.. Don't think it appears in 3DS mode.

Kelly_Overtone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's weird, don't think that should happen, maybe there's an issue with your sd card, or something else hardware-related if it wasn't the sd card?
I suggest checking your sd card for errors with h2testw, back up your data, empty the sdcard then run the test, it will tell you if it's faulty.

Hmm, did that occur when playing DS games through TWilightMenu? Sounds like it.. Don't think it appears in 3DS mode.
In response to the above q's:
Yes, the red screens were while NDS game (forwarded/injected to homescreen using ndsforwarder) but TW++ is also installed as another option. I've repaired & cfw'd a good many 3ds's so i'm a bit seasoned at it; also only get my sd cards from somewhere like walmart so theyre real & formatted correct :) But yeh the red screens were just like that blue bootrom/error screen (w/ blank blue bottom screen and very little info in block font on the top) except they were red, when trying to save on something like pokemon black or pearl or whatever it was my huz was playing. Right now I've got 2 jap O3ds xl's region changed to US, and they both have some software issues aforementioned.. didn't know I COULD- or needed to?- system format after r.change. OR should I follow steps V and VI from the hacks.guide/r.change page? which are reinstalling tickets and deleting system save data which i don't remember if the video I (foolishly?) used instead had me do those part(s) or not

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, the red screens were while NDS game (forwarded/injected to homescreen using ndsforwarder) but TW++ is also installed as another option. I've repaired & cfw'd a good many 3ds's so i'm a bit seasoned at it; also only get my sd cards from somewhere like walmart so theyre real & formatted correct :) But yeh the red screens were just like that blue bootrom/error screen (w/ blank blue bottom screen and very little info in block font on the top) except they were red, when trying to save on something like pokemon black or pearl or whatever it was my huz was playing. Right now I've got 2 jap O3ds xl's region changed to US, and they both have some software issues aforementioned.. didn't know I COULD- or needed to?- system format after r.change. OR should I follow steps V and VI from the hacks.guide/r.change page? which are reinstalling tickets and deleting system save data which i don't remember if the video I (foolishly?) used instead had me do those part(s) or not
Extended memory mode games NEED a system reformat as stated by the guide. otherwise they will not work until that is done. You will need to backup your games. updates. dlc. saves. and other files and do so once you are ready. There is no rush to do so as thats the only thing affected that way for Extended memory mode games.

Kelly_Overtone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*I'd have to look back on the video and see, but the video i used was def most recent one from the youtube guy sthetix; he keeps his vids updated & he basically reads str8 from the guide. He's helped me w q's b4 too, good knowledgable guy! And it's easier for me to have someone audibly read it to me so that's why in this case- a longer process i'm not repeatedly familiar with yet :)
Post automatically merged:

Extended memory mode games NEED a system reformat as stated by the guide. otherwise they will not work until that is done. You will need to backup your games. updates. dlc. saves. and other files and do so once you are ready. There is no rush to do so as thats the only thing affected that way for Extended memory mode games.
Gotcha! Thanx for the feedback :}
Post automatically merged:

I opted for what you said, and just did the system reformat (on the JPN O3ds xl reg.changed to USA)
Everything now seems to be working AOK! SS Bros. works now, and no more hangups going to home screen from applets :)
Thanx again for pointing that out to me~!

Last edited by Kelly_Overtone,

LDigital

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I am currently waiting for a minty n3ds LL arrive from Japan and am debating doing a region change and making it my main system. Am I right in thinking everything changes except for the system menus?

Will games and apps default to my chosen language? I will be installing pal software for save compatibility with my other unit

Provided I do a clean reformat Are there any other glitches and hang ups I need to worry about?

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
and no more hangups going to home screen from applets
I told you that's not normal. I'd still check the sd card for errors with h2testw just to make sure it's safe to use (if you didn't test it already).
-----
Am I right in thinking everything changes except for the system menus?
I don't understand the question.. System language will change to whatever you set it to, everything else should look the same.
Will games and apps default to my chosen language? I will be installing pal software for save compatibility with my other unit
Yes, if you're going to be using EU versions of games. Regardless, since the unit has cfw, it can play games from other regions too and not just the one you changed to.
Provided I do a clean reformat Are there any other glitches and hang ups I need to worry about?
No, there shouldn't be any. Just make sure you check the sd card first before you start loading it with stuff.
Follow the guide here (if you want to do the region change).

LDigital

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't understand the question.. System language will change to whatever you set it to, everything else should look the same.

Ah sorry if I wasn’t clear,
I heard that even with a region change, the system menus are still Japanese. Is this correct?

Are there any other tells or quirks that indicate it’s a region change or is it 100% changed?

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I heard that even with a region change, the system menus are still Japanese. Is this correct?
Pretty much the only point to doing a region change is to change the language of the system menus.

Are there any other tells or quirks that indicate it’s a region change or is it 100% changed?
CFW needs to be installed, for starters. (Some resellers have gotten very clever about hiding it, and then it turns up when people start trying to install CFW.)

And as repeatedly noted above, the system will probably not be able to connect to the eShop.

verypedro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Does anyone know if there is a solution for transferring between an US 3DS and a UE 3DS that had the region changed to US?

Just got it and I want to transfer :(

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone know if there is a solution for transferring between an US 3DS and a UE 3DS that had the region changed to US?

Just got it and I want to transfer :(
In that case, you can't do a system transfer if that's what you're asking.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-