Hacking Unbrick PS3 Slim CECH-2504A

sautzer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi guys, after 5 years or so I want to start playing again with my PS3 Slim CECH 2504A. Last time I used it, it was on a CFW (can't rember which one, too many years passed) and it still has the E3 Flasher inside (it was soldered by a professionist). I haven't the original HDD but I have a spare SSD that I can use. I tried to start it with a new SSD (I haven't the original HDD anymore and have this 128Gb SSD lying around) but the PS3 didn't booted up, just a black screen. So I tried to reset video by holding the power button until it beeps once when turning it on but it just turned off. Samething trying to enter recovery. Every time I try to flash a NOR backup (which I first verified and byte reversed) the flasher gave me error 0100000 (Failed to initialize TF card). The MicroSD are formatted in FAT32, and they're 16Gb MicroSD HC by Sandisk (that works perfectly on other devices, also I have a Samsung 64Gb XC that I haven't used yet). Also I noticed that one pin of the microSD of the flasher is bent, but I unbend it without no problem (I guess). I saw on the PS3DevWiki that I could solder an SD directly to the E3 Flasher but I'm no good with soldering (tried to solder a MicroSD to SD adapter to a spare wire at it was a disaster). Is there any other way to flash the NOR backup instead of using the microsd, maybe through the microUSB port on the E3 flasher?
I hope that I made my problems clear and so, what do you guys suggest me to do?

EDIT: Today I tried the MicroSD 64Gb with the same results, really nobody has no idea? Was thinking of buying a new E3 Flasher and hope for the best but before spend any money I would like to be sure that the E3 is the problem. I could try also a Tensy because is cheaper but I have already the E3 Linker solder on, so I need to find another professional to do the solder for me.

Last edited by sautzer,

sautzer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Guys I'm kind of desperate here... Really no one know how to proceed here? I was thinking about 3 ways:
  1. Buy another E3 Mainboard and Cover Plate to be sure that it isn't the problem
  2. Try to contact the modder that did the work to solder a Teensy 2.0++ (not sure that
  3. Buy a new PS3 Slim, I've found a shop that sells it for about 50$ at it seems to have also the hackable one
Now I'd like to use mine again for a main reason, I already have a flasher solder to it, and it's a life saver. Also was thinking about Teensy 2.0++ because is smaller, I mustn't use a docking station and it seems to me to be more relaible than the E3 (stupid me to bought it back then), also it's easier to mod the case to have it always accessible. Mine only problem is that I'm not sure the problem is the E3 Flasher, it could be also the PS3 (also if the E3 says that it couldn't initialize the microsd card). The third and most expensive option is to buy an used PS3 Slim and get soldered the Teensy 2.0++. Have you any guess before buying thing for my PS3? Really thanks you guys

sautzer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Another little news, I soldered a microSD to SD adapter at the E3 flasher and it worked! The only problem is that after flashing I still get black screen. I tried to flash it with all the swtich down and also with just the first one up (Flash Fun Mode). The E3 log shows me no problem, just all ok. I also checked this backup that I had with the PyPS3tools. It showed me that my dump was bytereversed so I patched it and than flashed it as described before. Did I something wrong? I've also tried to reset video and try to reach the recovery mode without any success

sautzer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Solved

NOR DUMP
I did three backup with the E3 Flasher that revealed to be faulty also if the tools said that they were fine and flashing them didn't unbrick the PS3. Fortunately I did a backup with multiman (I didn't rember this one at first) that were perfect and they're .NORBIN file. If you use the DumpChecker it will says that you have bad ROS0 and ROS1, but that's just because the tool don't the HASH for CFW. Just copy that HASH and search it on Google if it's equal to a CFW HASH. If so, you're good to go otherwise you have a bad dump. Note that ROS0 and ROS1 could be different, from my understing is because when you flash a firmware it will flash just one of the two, if you flash twice it will flash both. So if they're different and both HASH correspond to a CFW/OFW HASH you SHOULD be good to go, otherwise I'd consider that a bad dump.

E3 Flasher
As you see, I had the MicroSD slot broken, but seeing on the ps3devwiki the microsd adapter mod I resolved this issue. If you're about to choose a flasher, I'd not suggest you to use an E3 Flasher. If I could go back, I'd choose a Teensy 2.0 ++, beacuse it seems to me more reliable and less invasive (you would not need an esata station if you want to keep it always connected). Also I saw on another forum someone who integrated it in the chassis so you haven't to unmount your PS3 eveytime you want to use it. He modified the chassis making an hole so that the microUSB port is accessible from the outside (I can't remember the name and haven't the link).

CFW INSTALLATION
For that I used the PS3xploit guide on FW4.85. So I installed twice the HFW4.85, than applied the exploit through web page, took a NOR backup, restarted and installed twice che CFW 4.85.1 Rebug Lite. Obbliously follow the guide and not mine explanation

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, I have a piano keyboard but I never use it