Hacking ULTIMATE System Menu 4.0 Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

jurai

Trophies
XP
Country
WiiPower has said the best method is simply downgrading ios15, patching ios36, installing a cios, then restoring ios15 using the trucha restorer app. What benefits does this guide have over doing just that?

(besides the preloader installation obviously)

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aha! I fixed my problem:

Well, this particular Wii was purchased on Ebay. It came with 3.1U, and I immediately bannerbombed, bootmii boot2'ed and backed up that Nand awhile back. I performed a method of upgrading/softmodding using an old guide and eventually moved up to v4.1U. All worked fine...

But, I wanted to find a truly offline upgrade method, and this guide seemed to be the ticket. But, when I performed the upgrade, games would not play (or would have black screen on exit). So, this is what I did:

I installed *just* cIOSrev10 on the 3.1U system. Same deal, games not loading/blacking out. I figured this was odd.

I removed the HBC from the 3.1U nand and formatted the system. Instant brick. Lucky for boot2 bootmii
smile.gif

I restored to the 3.1U nand AGAIN, removed the HBC, and this time did the Nintendo update. Then I formatted. THis worked, and brought me right back to initial setup on reboot. Now I made a backup of THIS nand.

Followed the offline guide again and it works perfectly.

Bottom line is that the previous owner did *something* to the console...not exactly sure. The upgrade then format apparently wiped it clean again and now it works. Wow...what a fiasco, but at least I know what needs to be done should I ever upgrade somebody elses system.

Final word:

This offline guide is quite possibly the best/quickest/easiest guide to follow on the net. I literally had the system running in a matter of minutes. Surely a milestone quicker than my old previous online method.

Great job!

assassda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
SPEKKY said:
just been through the ultimate system menu 4.1 tutorial every thing appeared to go fine but after every thing steps 1 to 14 wii system still says 3.2E??

i have the nand backup from bootmii should i restore that and try again???

anybody??
did the firmware updater fail?

jurai said:
WiiPower has said the best method is simply downgrading ios15, patching ios36, installing a cios, then restoring ios15 using the trucha restorer app. What benefits does this guide have over doing just that?

(besides the preloader installation obviously)
firmware upgrade, IOS-Downgrader allinone

QUOTE(zektor @ Jul 24 2009, 10:02 PM)
This offline guide is quite possibly the best/quickest/easiest guide to follow on the net. I literally had the system running in a matter of minutes. Surely a milestone quicker than my old previous online method.

Great job!
Glad you fixed it. If you know what youre doing the guide is really only like 5 steps

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
assassda said:
zektor said:

Great job!

Glad you fixed it. If you know what youre doing the guide is really only like 5 steps

Yeah, it is simple. It racked my brain trying to figure out why one system would be fine and the other had issues. Whatever the guy did to it previously, he didn't fix it completely when I got it. It is now 100% fixed and perfect. I even have an initial setup nand of 4.1U now...in case I want to bring it right to "out of the box" condition
smile.gif

A couple of things regarding the guide tho that you may want to change:

It is recommended to restore IOS15 after using it to patch IOS36. That should be the next step before installing cIOS.

When installing IOS wads, you should remove IOS36 and IOS15. Installing these wads after the fact is pointless because you have already installed them with TBR. Actually, installing it would probably be worse as I doubt that wad has nand flash access patch that you have the user doing previously in TBR.

You should note that if you are already on v4.1U, the only necessary wad to install is the cios60 (to enable SD card wad launching). Installing the others is not necessary if you are already on 4.1U.

Maybe a good idea to add cMIOS to the mix. It is an easy step that can be added at anytime and would allow the user gamecube backup playback as well.

On a final note, this WILL work with LU64+, only if the user only uses the TBR steps and the cIOSrev10 install. It has already been confirmed that TBR works on the new model Wii's. This would get cIOS on your new wii to play backups, but I am not so sure about installing cios60 on these new machines. I would have to wait for someone else to confirm that it works for SD wad playing on the new machines. But still, you'd get backups running

Other than that, great job!

Kayes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is a NAND restore only possible on BootMii boot2 (and not if BootMii is installed as IOS)?

Judging from a lot of the posts here i kinda get the picture that only Boot2 restore's are safe.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Kayes said:
Is a NAND restore only possible on BootMii boot2 (and not if BootMii is installed as IOS)?

Judging from a lot of the posts here i kinda get the picture that only Boot2 restore's are safe.
Bootmii IOS cannot restore a backup

rommy667

Trophies
XP
Country
After doing this the wii will no longer load any store bought dvd from the disc channel also in wii settings atm im using 480p but if i switch it back to 60hz it just crashes the wii with a black screen and makes a weird noise but after a manual power down the setting will have changed has this happened to any one other than me? is their any fixes???

melodical

Trophies
XP
Country
Just updated from 3.1E to 4.1E using the offline guide.

The only problem i'm having is that preloader cant find the hacks.ini file. I've checked the file on the sd and its definately there on the root of the card!

I get an error directly after click on 'systemmenu Hacks' saying "hacks for your system menu version v450 were not found.

1. How can i solve this problem?
2. Anyone come across this before?
3. If reinstalling preloader is your recommendation do i uninstall and install or JUST INSTALL OVER the top of preloader?

I know the sd card is cool because i used the same card (sandisk 2gb - NOT SDHC) when i softmodded my friends wii to from official 4.0E to modded 4.0E last week! His wii was also an Pal LEH model - 2006.

Thanks all!

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
rommy667 said:
After doing this the wii will no longer load any store bought dvd from the disc channel also in wii settings atm im using 480p but if i switch it back to 60hz it just crashes the wii with a black screen and makes a weird noise but after a manual power down the setting will have changed has this happened to any one other than me? is their any fixes???

Did you update to the wrong region? That would explain normal discs not working (because they're no longer from the region of the Wii) and the settings messing up (semi brick?) If you were able to make a NAND backup through bootmii as the guide suggests, I would suggest restoring that backup with bootmii, and then starting the guide again and pick the right region this time.

QUOTE(melodical @ Jul 25 2009, 09:42 AM) Just updated from 3.1E to 4.1E using the offline guide.

The only problem i'm having is that preloader cant find the hacks.ini file. I've checked the file on the sd and its definately there on the root of the card!

I get an error directly after click on 'systemmenu Hacks' saying "hacks for your system menu version v450 were not found.

1. How can i solve this problem?
2. Anyone come across this before?
3. If reinstalling preloader is your recommendation do i uninstall and install or JUST INSTALL OVER the top of preloader?

Thanks all!

Are you sure you have the hacks.ini for 4.1E and not 4.0E or 4.1U or something?

melodical

Trophies
XP
Country
They were the files that were in the offline guide. I downloaded them on thurs.

What is the 449 for in the following snippet from hack.ini?

I installed systemmenu450 as im on pal (LEH model,with bootmii on boot2)

Is the 449 refererring to another region and does it represent the system menu ?

CODE SNIPPET:

[Skip disc update check]
version=449
offset=0x8137EEA8
value=0x60000000
offset=0x8137EEAC
value=0x60000000
version=449
offset=0x8136AD98
value=0x4E800020
[No Menu BGM Startpatch version]
version=449
offset=0x8136ADC4
value=0x4E800020

Thanks again nabster!

EDIT: I think i may have cracked it! I just had a look at http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Preloader/hacks#EUR_v4.1.

Can i just edit the hacks.ini in notepad using the 4.1E 450 information from the above page?

Their seems to be a lot less code in the 4.1 euro hacks code than the 449. Another thread offers a download to a fix but the code shows 418 right through it?

Can anyone provide a link to download the hacks.ini file for Euro 4.1E? as the code is screw'y when copy and pasting it via notepad++?

T$unami

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
melodical:

All I did was cut and paste the 4.1e hacks into the the hack.ini file, and it works fine.

On another note, props to Edhel Post #1276

QUOTE said:
Finally decided to update my Wii from 3.2 to 4.1. Followed your online guide to the letter, though I had some difficulty when it came to 11) Run 4.1 Firmware-Updater.
It downloaded the updates, but refused to install giving me 1036 error.

A quick search revealed two possibilies, either I didn't have enough space or I needed a patched ios60. Seeing as I had plenty of free space, I first installed ios60 patched and then updated. Success!

Not sure if this has been mentioned earlier, 85 pages is way too much to trawl through.

Same here and your fix worked a treat for me also, as a precaution I then re-installed the ios60 + patch. Maybe this should be added to the FAQ.

cyberrep

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi guy I have a wii 3.4u LU65, I try to make softmod, but unsusscefull, I try many methods, I update to 4.1U to solve then....after many try, I receive only a black screen..

I try many dol files
These files load with bannerbomb:
wad manager 1.4 (donts install ios 36, 15 and 249, anothers ok)
freedom beta 2 (it´s install and make a softmoded wii, but I want to make the default system menu)
TBR (when I try to install ios to ios249, i receive a error ret 1035, higher than a 3094..)
ant wad channler intaled frezee after start
Any other dol´s black screen....

Riquisimo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alrighty. Glad the post got updated, and thx for all the work!

When i load the IOS Downgrader, ill either get error 116 or the wii will crash with "Exception (DSI)" and a code dump.
i see that screen all to often

Ive heard the error 116 is caused by not being able to connect to the internet via wifi, or by having wiiconnect24 on.

Well, Wiiconnect24 is off, the wii CAN connect to the internet via the wireless connection (which is set to "use this connection"), all the USB devices and gcn memory cards are removed (as instructed) and im STILL getting this error.
The Trucha Bug Restorer connected just fine to the internet. I cant figure out why the IOS Downgrader wont.

All im trying to do is run backup VC from the SD Menu. Im running 4.0U. Do i still need to downgrade/upgrade at this point? or should i be able to run the games now? (b/c it wont let me)

im grateful for ANY help here.

Morku

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
QUOTE said:
6) Run Trucha Bug Restorer and choose "IOS36" and pick "Downgrade IOS15" and "Download IOS from NUS" then restart
If I want do that I get the message that the IOS is missing on the SD card.
frown.gif

EDIT: "Download IOS from NUS" oh... of course I can change that... f... ignore that post.

franky86

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i just modded a friends 3.4u wii with this guide. everything went fine, but backups(in usb loader and from discs) are randomly crashing every once in a while. copies i know work fine and a usb drive ive put 100s of hours playing off of. i only have 4.0 on my wii, should i downgrade his from 4.1 to 4.0? i dont know what could be causing the crashes and thats the only thing different.

El-Grosso

Trophies
XP
Country
i'm trying to enable the skip update check in preloader, but it says "no hacks for your systemmenu version(v450) were found" when i go into sytemmenu hacks. has this happened to anyone else?

Taka

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Finally decided to update my Wii from 3.2 to 4.1. Followed your online guide to the letter, though I had some difficulty when it came to 11) Run 4.1 Firmware-Updater.
It downloaded the updates, but refused to install giving me 1036 error.

A quick search revealed two possibilies, either I didn't have enough space or I needed a patched ios60. Seeing as I had plenty of free space, I first installed ios60 patched and then updated. Success!

Not sure if this has been mentioned earlier, 85 pages is way too much to trawl through.
QUOTESame here and your fix worked a treat for me also, as a precaution I then re-installed the ios60 + patch. Maybe this should be added to the FAQ.

I'm receiving the same 1036 error when it fails to install using the 4.1 Firmware-Updater. To confirm, did you simply jump to step "12) Using Dop-IOS install IOS60 v6174 with Sig Hash Check" then run the 4.1 updater again? I'm assuming this is what you meant by a "IOS60 patched", right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Welp