UK Retailer Increases the Prices of Amiibos to Premium-level

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by WiiCube_2013, Apr 21, 2015.

1. WiiCube_2013
    OP

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    Firstly they had them originally for £10.85 ($16.44), not too long ago they were then increased to £14.86 ($22.11) and now to £19.85 ($29.53) so we can see retailers want to also ride the scalpers train too than sell them for the original prices.

[​IMG]
    This retailer is ShopTo and they've been getting a lot of backlash for these ridiculous prices but as people keep pre-ordering it doesn't make any damn difference. It does however make it harder for resellers to make more profit but considering they bought them for £10.99 than £19.85 it can still work out well enough.​
    Congrats to ShopTo as they've lost more customers with this bs.​

2. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi everything is going according the plan...

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    And I though the typical and more efficient approach to prevent scalps was limit the number of units you can order, silly me.
    This other method is full of win. you scare scalpels AND get more profit out of both, real customers and scalpels, totally genius. ¬¬

WiiCube_2013 likes this.
  3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Something is worth what someone else is willing to pay for it.

I see no issue with this move.

4. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    of course not.. why should a store prevent a person from buying the things they are trying to sell?
    they want to make money, why letting scalpers staying with the high proffits? even if they limited the purchase ammount, thats a small "fix" you can get your family or friends and each one buy 3 amiibos or something.. you can also just go in the next store and buy them again.. or come back later and go into another cashier..
    if nintendo\stores want to "be fair" they should end this low stock thing or limited thing...

i agree with the stores pricing it up.. if i was selling stuff, i wouldn't like someone to grab it and sell it for 5-10 times more, it would make me want to hit a wall with my head...

5. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi everything is going according the plan...

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    of course, I just said that for the sake of being sarcastic.
    Stores don't give a shit about scalpels and shouldn't, unless Nintendo is calling them on that saying something like "hey, we don't want scalpels, take some action or we wont ship more Amiibos to you" or so. Stores are seeing how scalps go as high as 5 or more times the price and they just augmented the prices to close the gap, after all if there are people willing to pay that much for an Amiibo why would you offer it at such low price??

migles likes this.
  6. T-hug

T-hug Always like this.

pip Chief Editor
    Oct 24, 2002
    England
    I don't have an issue with this but it is very strange when shopto are usually cheaper than pretty much every other site 99% of the time.

7. Terenigma

Terenigma Terenigma everywhere

Nov 10, 2008
    Earth
    £5 more reasons not to buy one

p1ngpong likes this.
  8. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    People blaming the shops / people for price increases when they should be blaming nintendo and their bs excuses for such a low production rate.

p1ngpong and Foxi4 like this.
  9. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    The free market is self-regulating - if people buy a product en masse, the distributors increase their margins. It's simple supply and demand.

10. WiiCube_2013
    OP

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    ShopTo hasn't been a cheap retailer for a while now. The Splatoon Special Edition jumped from £34 to £40 in a matter of 2-3 hours and there's others complaining that there aren't deals on ShopTo any more worth getting.

TGC, GameSeek, Zavvi and Amazon all have better deals than ShopTo. Especially TGC and GameSeek.

jalaneme likes this.
  11. T-hug

T-hug Always like this.

pip Chief Editor
    Oct 24, 2002
    England
    Wow that's news to me but then again I've been using amazon pretty much exclusively for over a year now.

WiiCube_2013 likes this.
  12. Lucifer666

Lucifer666 all the world needs is me

Apr 22, 2011
    The Fourth Dimension
    That's one of the most capitalist things I've heard all week

13. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    It is the concept that underpins economics in general, though I would not have ascribed any particular harshness/"profit or bust" type sentiments to it.

14. WiiCube_2013
    OP

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    As if increasing the price wasn't enough they've gone and cancelled pre-orders from customers who had them since the beginning of its listing. Now, if not even the customers who've pre-ordered early can't get a break then ShopTo's fucked.

I pre-ordered the upcoming amiibos for £10.99/£10.85 each at Zavvi & Amazon but that's it, not gonna do it any more because from here on out it's £14.86 and £19.85.

15. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Interesting, I have seen accidental/overpopular sales/discounts/one time offers cancelled but I have seldom seen a price hike over rrp incur cancellations of preorders.

I wonder if they would have given the preorder peeps a chance to up their price or if they dismissed it for PR or practicality reasons.

16. p1ngpong

p1ngpong Unamused frog

Former Staff
    Apr 18, 2008
    Croatia
    DS Scene
    Retards will pay way more than £20 to a reseller to buy an amiibo so what's wrong with a shop doing it too? The people who are gullible enough to fall for Nintendos artificial viral marketing strategy deserve to be fleeced of their money.

WiiCube_2013 likes this.
  17. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Very smart, i'd keep upping the price till they start to see a dropoff in sales.

I'm surprised prices didn't rise faster tbh.