UIDManager

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by nano351, Jan 15, 2011.

Jan 15, 2011

UIDManager by nano351 at 8:20 PM (3,719 Views / 1 Likes) 14 replies

1. nano351
    OP

Member nano351 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Hello, I started to use UNEEK+DI recently and ran into a few things. First, I had problems with my wiiware on the drive not showing up and realized it was because my uid.sys got overwritten by a generic one and SNEEK uses uid.sys for reporting titles to the wii. So I got my uid.sys fixed up and noticed that my SNEEK nand ran very slow and realized that the more titles that the wii knows about the more stuff it's going to want to load.

So I made this application called UIDManager. It allows you to modify the contents of uid.sys on an emulated nand so that you can control what titles SNEEK knows about:
    [​IMG]

The program is written in java so hopefully it'll work on mac and linux/unix platforms but I've only tested in on my windows 7 computer

How to use:
    -run the jar in the root of your emulated nand files (So if your nand is on G:\ put the Jar in G:\ and then run it. Sorry about this inconvenience but I couldn't figure out how to get a dialog up for choosing nand location)
    -the left list represents the entries in your uid.sys
    -the right list represents the available entries to add for various titles on your system.
    --the right list is generated by searching your ticket folder for all .tik files and your title folder for all title.tmd files
    --the right list might take a bit to load. It's done loading when the buttons below it aren't grayed out anymore
    -titles colored red in the left list represent titles that don't exist on your nand
    -Pressing clean will delete all the entries for titles that aren't found on your nand
    -pressing > removes the currently selected title from your uid.sys
    -pressing >> removes all titles from uid.sys but System Menu
    -pressing save will save the uid.sys
    -pressing reload will reload the contents of uid.sys
    -pressing < will add the currently selected title to uid.sys
    -pressing

Maxternal likes this.
  2. Slimmmmmm

Member Slimmmmmm GBAtemp MoNkEeE

United Kingdom
    Surprised nobody posted yet.

This is a great idea, so BUMP ! [​IMG]

3. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    If I do not go out to lunch with my friend tomorrow, I will check it out. Otherwise, I will check it out Monday.

Regardless, this sounds like a fantastic idea. I can not wait to try it out! My UNEEK loads quite slowly because I have a buttload of titles on there... hopefully, this will fix it.

4. ketufe

Member ketufe GBAtemp Regular

France
    yes ,great idea thank's

5. nano351
    OP

United States
    Glad you guys think it's a good idea. I made an update to it so it gets title names from wiitdb and updated it so it only generates text representation of each title once so it's less cpu intensive.

6. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    Well I just downloaded it and will test it out in a few minutes. Lets hope this is awesome XD

Now, dies this mean that these titles are safe to remove from the UID.sys and have it still function as normal?

7. marc_max

Member marc_max GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Spain
    I noticed an speed up by removing a lot of titles of my old Wii NAND. Thank you [​IMG]

8. nano351
    OP

United States
    Glad to hear it works well for you [​IMG] and just for clarity it doesn't remove the title from your nand it just removes the reference to the title in uid.sys so SNEEK doesn't know about it. Kinda like a soft delete. If you want to completely remove a title you can use a program like showmiinand to delete it.

9. FragAguy

Member FragAguy GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Nice tool. I'll try it tomorrow when I have some spare time. Hope this will speed up my NAND!

10. marc_max

Member marc_max GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Spain
    I already knew that. But I didn't know it could speed up SNEEK boot.

11. DEFIANT

Member DEFIANT GBAtemp Fan

United States
    This needs the ability to be ran within the wii, via an app or something. It would be nice to manage on my wii instead to taking it to my pc.

12. obcd

Member obcd GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Belgium
    To my knowledge, one purpose of this file is to show where the gamesaves can be found.
    The system menu also uses it to find out what channels are installed, and it will load the banner annimation for those channels.
    This is very likely what slows down the startup of neek. When a channel is launched that is not having an entry in uid;sys, than a new entry will be created in that file.
    Very likely in such a case, the system won't be able to access the previously created gamesaves.
    It could be used to set channels temporary hidden for the system menu. Before the launch of such a channel, it's entry in that file should be fixed so that previous gamesaves
    are acessible.

13. ChaosEnergy

Member ChaosEnergy GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    where do i find a download link?

14. Maxternal

Member Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Costa Rica
    Yes, I want to know this, too.

15. zerofalcon

Member zerofalcon GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Antarctica