yay or nay

• yay

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • nay

Votes: 8 32.0%

• Total voters
D

Deleted User

I liked the look of Unity, but what I didn't like were the accusations of spyware and surveillance code and the like, so I switched to LXDE. It's simple and efficient, which I think is a good thing considering how hella old my laptop is.

Last edited by ,
Reactions: Deleted User

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I liked the look of Unity, but what I didn't like were the accusations of spyware and the like, so I switched to LXDE. It's simple and efficient, which I think is a good thing considering how hella old my laptop is.
You could actually turn that off easily and they stopped shipping it on by default in 16.04 (IIRC.)
I didn't like that it was there either and really didn't feel very "Linux-Like" of them.
But I personally loved the Global Menu. I have been trying so hard to get Global Menus working on other DEs and even when I do, they don't work with all applications.

Last edited by The Catboy,

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I mean look at it, it looks like dated shit
E8EBE18F-36DE-491B-8C48-C17DCA0A1124-4195-00000320150511D2.png
It looks like a DE from 2005. Of course you can improve it.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Oh, but it is a beautiful dated shit.
Works like a charm, fast, non intrusive.
If it is not broken, don't fix it.
I am not bashing it, in fact love XFCE. It's hands down the most customizable DE for Unix-Like Operating systems. Just the stock version looks like shit, but that's ok because it gives you everything you need to build something better

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
I am not bashing it, in fact love XFCE. It's hands down the most customizable DE for Unix-Like Operating systems. Just the stock version looks like shit, but that's ok because it gives you everything you need to build something better
I'd argue that KDE is the most customizable just because the Plasma environment comes with so many bells and whistles that are fairly useless, and do nothing but serve as eye candy. GNOME (and its forks, except for maybe Pantheon) is also heavily customizable if you feel like digging through hundreds of lines of Javascript and CSS. XFCE just isn't a hassle to customize.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I hated Unity, one of the reasons I stopped using Ubuntu and switched to Mint (which has an iso for the more preferable Cinnamon UI).

Roify

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
I find both unity and gnome ugly, and Ubuntu in general because I had too much propaganda from Kingy.
Because I like it how arch managed it with the community and the AUR in general.
And I know since we have so many distros , DEs and package systems , its pointless to spread propaganda.
But for real now join the arch kernel masterrace :tpi:.

Oh and Ubuntu kernel based distros had a vuln for 8 years , which the arch kernel based distros didnt :ph34r:.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Unity is terrible, but so is Gnome 3. Also Ubuntu jumped on the systemd bandwagon, so I don't give a shit anyways.
I've actually never understood the hatred towards systemd. I've been using systemd since it became a standard and never noticed a difference.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Wlak past the light and kill that giant mosquito.