Ubisoft backtrack on DRM

Magoo222

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
"It looks like DRM checks on games such as Assassin’s Creed 2 and Splinter Cell: Conviction have been changed for the better. The controversial DRM system was launched earlier this year with Settlers 7, and required players to be permanently connected to the internet in order to play. Now the games will no longer pause instantly if a connection is lost, but will still require an internet connection to validate the install every time the game is booted up."

Source

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
Berthenk said:
Meh, fair enough... having a constant connection is almost impossible.
Uh, not really. Unless of course you're stealing a neighbor's Wi-Fi or something.

Also, this doesn't really change the situation much. What if people want to play something at a relative's house, and they don't have internet? Or want to play in the car on a long trip (Who would play on a laptop in a car though? Lol).

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
This still means that if you don't have access to the Internet or their obviously insufficient servers gets bombarded you can't launch the game you've purchased.

No thanks - as much as I want to play some of their new games I really don't want anything to do with them until that retarded DRM has been removed completely.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TDWP FTW said:
Berthenk said:
Meh, fair enough... having a constant connection is almost impossible.
Uh, not really. Unless of course you're stealing a neighbor's Wi-Fi or something.
Not everyone has great internet, you know. Just because you're using your own internet doesn't mean you will be connected every single moment of forever.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
meh , so it requires you to HAVE internet ?
i find it pointless, for that DRM , especially on single player games such as Assassin's Creed 2 . honestly, what use is the internet when you just wanna play games that don't require the use of online ?

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Slyakin said:
Just because you're using your own internet doesn't mean you will be connected every single moment of forever.
mine is
smileipb2.png

but yeah if their servers go down your still fucked i stopped playing settlers 7 for this reason they always go down!!

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
blade it may be due to the DDoS attacks by torrent users (i think 80000 ppl participated for AC2 servers)
as long as the offline server works, there wont be an issue for piraters but this is definitely better for legal buyers of the game.
AC2 had got a bad rating on gamefaqs bcz of the DRM problem which i think is great to see changed

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
What really sucks is when Ubisoft decides to shut down those servers X amount of years in the future...

Then everyone except the pirates is fucked. The irony is delicious.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
shakirmoledina said:
as long as the offline server works
settlers 7 doesn't have an offline server you have to connect each time to play if the servers down (and it most of the time is) the game won't even start. i usually don't buy games like this but at the time i got tired of waiting for it to be bypassed...yeah big mistake
laugh.gif

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
George Dawes said:
Bladexdsl said:
Expensive business connections with extreme SLAs don't guarantee 100% uptime, so I find it incredibly doubtful that your home connection can manage it. But well done on having the one thing nobody else in the world can manage.
maybe where YOU live but here adsl connections are on ALL the time i only have to turn my computer on and it's ready to go. the computer upstairs even shares the connection when my comp is off. the only time the connection is off is if i turn the modem off but i never do and ask any1 in Australia who has adsl2+ they'll tell you the same thing.
tongue.gif

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
yeah whatever you won't even admit it now i'm going back to using MY internet connection that's on all the time have fun with YOUR dialup
smileipb2.png

--- END OF LINE ---

synce

だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん
Trophies
XP
Country
Comoros
I've never bought a Ubisoft game but if I were ever interested in one and found out about this DRM nonsense I'd never give them a dime. Certainly their sales plummeted because there's no way they'd just remove the DRM because the screwed-over customers complained.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.livescience.com/59831-cotton-candy-grapes.html#:~:text=To%20make%20the%20Cotton%20Can...