GOG removes 'Hitman - Game of the Year Edition' from its storefront following backlash over online requirements

hitman goty ed.JPG

Hitman - Game of the Year Edition was released on GOG on September 22 but was shortly faced with an avalanche of review bombs from users. This is because even if the main story and bonus missions were playable offline, an internet connection was required for other modes like Escalation missions, Elusive Targets and Contracts as well as to get features like unlocking new equipment, mission scores and starting locations. Players associated this online requirement as a form of DRM and, by extension, anti-GOG.

As a response to the backlash, GOG decided to remove the game from its online storefront two days ago, stating that "we shouldn’t have released it in its current form". However, this does not necessarily mean that the delisting will be a permanent situation as GOG also mentions that it is in talks with developer IO Interactive.

Below is the full statement on the issue from a GOG representative:

Dear Community,

Thank you for your patience and for giving us the time to investigate the release of HITMAN GOTY on GOG. As promised, we’re getting back to you with updates.

We're still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release. Today we have removed HITMAN GOTY from GOG’s catalog – we shouldn’t have released it in its current form, as you’ve pointed out.

We’d like to apologise for the confusion and anger generated by this situation. We’ve let you down and we’d like to thank you for bringing this topic to us – while it was honest to the bone, it shows how passionate you are towards GOG.

We appreciate your feedback and will continue our efforts to improve our communication with you.

:arrow: Source

BeanMKW

certified wii u owner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fuck DRM, DRM actively ruins games or over-complicates enjoying games. The fact that most games and software preform better when pirated is a good indication as to why DRM is a a problem.
...how would you know they're better, are you admitting to piracy?

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
...how would you know they're better, are you admitting to piracy?
I don’t shy away from saying that I’ve pirated software and games. I am very vocal advocate for piracy. That being said, it’s a common issue that DRM causes frame-rate drops and instability in software, this is one of the main contributing factors to why people try to patch it out
https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/...t-of-resident-evil-village-boosts-performance

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/282924-denuvo-really-does-cripple-pc-gaming-performance

Now Hitman literally required a constant internet connection, even to play what should be been the offline single player mode. This means the games greatest limitation is going to be servers it needs just to play. This is a problem as people could literally lose support what should be the offline-mode of the game they want to enjoy. This could also kill future replaying of this game. GOG created their DRM-Free policy so games wouldn’t be crippled by practices that activity hurt or limit our ability to play a game. Simply put, they did the right thing and I hope they don’t make the mistake of having another DRM game on their market again.

Last edited by The Catboy,
  • Haha
Reactions: BeanMKW

BeanMKW

certified wii u owner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don’t shy away from saying that I’ve pirated software and games. I am very vocal advocate for piracy. That being said, it’s a common issue that DRM causes frame-rate drops and instability in software and is one of the main contributing factors to why people try to patch it out
https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/...t-of-resident-evil-village-boosts-performance

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/282924-denuvo-really-does-cripple-pc-gaming-performance

Now Hitman literally required a constant internet connection, even to play what should have been the offline single player mode. This limited but more importantly means the games greatest limitation is going to be servers it needs just to play. This is a problem as people could literally lose support what should be the offline-mode of the game they want to enjoy. This could also kill future replaying of this game. GOG created their DRM-Free policy so games wouldn’t be crippled by practices that activity hurt or limit our ability to play a game. Simply put, they did the right thing and I hope they don’t make the mistake of having another DRM game on their market again.

lmao you are illegal oh wait is they, or him? or mabye its she...

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
lmao you are illegal oh wait is they, or him? or mabye its she...
Do you really have nothing to contribute to this conversation?
My gender is whatever gets me the most free stuff

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte