VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
BlueStar said:
Back to education, you might think (although I disagree) that you just need one teacher talking to a class of 100 rather than smaller groups of 20-30. But does that one teacher have time to grade all those students in all those classes of 100 each week, proving a detailed enough description of what they're doing wrong and why, as well as preparing the next classes? Where are these classes going to be held? How much money are you going to spend knocking down all these little classrooms and building large college style lecture halls, with PA equipment, so you can sack these thousands of teachers and send them to the welfare line?
Who the hell is talking about cutting school funding? If you got that from property tax breaks then my question is why is school funding solely tied to the value of your home? There are tons of people here in the USA that don't own a house and yet have 1 or more children why are they not paying thier fair share? Why is it up to a 75 year old woman whose husband has long passed away and her children are long over the age of 18 with kids of thier own and possible grandchildren of thier own to pay? There needs to be a bad over haul of the system here in the U.S. and sure it's scary to think that some teachers will possibly be let go but it still needs to be done.

I just need to say I'm against frivolous spending on any thing this or any country can't afford to do but cuts should never be made in Education, Infrastructure, or Humanitarian aid to any nation on this planet.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You can make cuts anywhere you want, but if there are two fields you shouldn't try to suck money out of, it's healthcare and education.

Every country in the world needs to keep their population healthy and educated to produce more revenue, this much is obvious. These two fields will always need improvements and money, rather than pumping money out of them.

At this point, your only options are rising interest rates, rising taxes sky high, especially for corporatons... and kneeling down to pray to a god of your choosing that the economy will spare you.

QUOTE said:
I just need to say I'm against frivolous spending on any thing this or any country can't afford to do but cuts should never be made in Education, Infrastructure, or Humanitarian aid to any nation on this planet.

Fixed. Stop giving poor nations fish - give them a fishing rod. They don't need your "aid", they need work places. Encourage investors to create factories in poor countries, give those people labor rather than help and help all over again - you're turning them into parasites that have a daily habbit of "collecting" things rather than "earning" them.

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Foxi4 said:
You can make cuts anywhere you want, but if there are two fields you shouldn't try to suck money out of, it's healthcare and education.

Every country in the world needs to keep their population healthy and educated to produce more revenue, this much is obvious. These two fields will always need improvements and money, rather than pumping money out of them.

At this point, your only options are rising interest rates, rising taxes sky high, especially for corporatons... and kneeling down to pray to a god of your choosing that the economy will spare you.

Sorry but what really needed to done was nothing when the economic crisis began. Plain and simple. Demand dictates price. If the people all of a sudden deiced hey this 3DS thing it costs way too much I'm not going to buy it what happens prices drop. It is the natural course of the economy. What happened was is a bunch of greedy shits said hey bale us out and some other greedy shits did just that. What has that really accomplished? Nothing, nothing has changed the economy is still shit and still will be for years to come because prices have not dropped only increased. What is raising of taxes at this stage going to do? Nothing beneficial, only make more people who are already fed up with rising costs spend less thus hurting the economy further. You can't get blood from a stone! And once you push a person in to a corner where do they have to go? There will be a civil unrest because people are going to go straight forward and lash out. The government should have said oh you made some bad business decisions oh well not our problem. Sure it would hurt and people would have suffered but it wold rest the economy back to a more comfortable level.

By humnaitarian aid I meant the means to do for them selves I totaly agree with you on that front. Handing out food unless it is an extreme emergency like with the Japan tsunami never does any good. Teach people how to farm and raise cattle does a lot more and will last forever. Spend the money to help put up irrigation systems and teach about crop rotation and soil managment. The importance of not slash and burning whole forests to get fertile land for farming.

murkurie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
431unknown said:

You can cut education, you just need to know where to cut it. Here in California the school administrations are absolutely massive and bloated, trim off the excess, which there is plenty.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
With a debt like this, no decision will fix the situation within at least 15 years - don't fool yourself. Grab that belt buckle, tighten it the hell up and start being reasonable with money.

What the U.S government needs to learn is that spending virtual money that just isn't there is not helping anything.

You can have the best roads, the best schooling system, brilliant healthcare, leading technology, but when you don't have money, you're just a geek wearing fancy gadgets while being unable to pay for his girlfriend's drink. Cheap.

Money makes the world go round, and you don't have any. Start sucking money off the corporations, I'd bet on that. It's not like they'll "move out of the U.S".

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
murkurie said:
431unknown said:

You can cut education, you just need to know where to cut it. Here in California the school administrations are absolutely massive and bloated, trim off the excess, which there is plenty.

Yeah ok here is what I meant to say is that the quality of education should not be cut. As far as funding if you can get the same quality with less cost then I'm all for it. There is bloat in every school administartion.

blackrider

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They should get rid of public education all together. The quality is the worst in the world while being the most expensive at the same time. That's pretty damn stupid to pour more money down a back pit while getting poor results.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
blackrider said:
They should get rid of public education all together. The quality is the worst in the world while being the most expensive at the same time. That's pretty damn stupid to pour more money down a back pit while getting poor results.

I'm sure you'd enjoy the sudden spread of rednecks across the country immediatelly after that decision is made.

How come every single country in existence that's NOT backwards by decades due to being war torn can afford public schooling BUT America, the supposedly Land of the Free where Dreams come True?

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Foxi4 said:
blackrider said:

I'm sure you'd enjoy the sudden spread of rednecks across the country immediatelly after that decision is made.

How come every single country in existence that's NOT backwards by decades due to being war torn can afford public schooling BUT America, the supposedly Land of the Free where Dreams come True?

I couldn't have said it better, also blackrider do you really think it would be cheaper? I'm not a fan of the way the public education system is and am sending my kid to private school but it is not cheaper by any means.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Foxi4 said:
With a debt like this, no decision will fix the situation within at least 15 years - don't fool yourself. Grab that belt buckle, tighten it the hell up and start being reasonable with money.
I'd set that estimate farther with the way we're going now.

TLSS_N

No rice, No life! ~唯
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BlueStar said:
The Living Shadow said:
BlueStar said:
A business which cuts all its staff down too much and lowers the quality of product it provides A business which cuts all its staff down too much and lowers the quality of product it provides too much will be left in the dust by other companies when times get better, yes.

You do realise it's possible to cut too much? Or is it a matter of there being no such thing as too much and cutting 100% is nearly enough?

Making sensible efficiency savings when times are tough is sensible. Running around like chicken little and trying to rein everything back until the economy is stunted by a sickly and uneducated workforce can leave you in more debt, long term, than you started with.

It's all very well saying to cut the public sector. What people don't seem to realise is how many companies in the private sector have clients in the public sector and how many customers are buying goods from private companies with wages they get from the public sector. People have this idea that when the government spends money it somehow vanishes into thin air.

You pay money to a school, they educate a kid who becomes an entrepreneur, they give a contract to Joe's Notebook Company who can hire more staff, they pay a wage to a teacher who buys a car from Fred's Used Autos to get to work, Fred can use that money to move to a showroom in a better part of town for business.

Cut hundreds of public sector jobs then you might get the quick fix of saving wages, but then you have notebook companies who lose contracts, unemployed ex-teachers picking up welfare checks instead of paying taxes and not buying that car to get to work, the remaining teachers wondering if they're going to be the next to be made redundant and deciding they're not going to pay that small business down the street to fix their guttering, but put it off.

Sorry, edited this a few times to add some points. What I'm trying to say is it might be tempting to say "Oh my God, we need to save money, stop everything!" But it's just not that simple.

but that's the point, they are hiring more people than they need to do the job! I realize that there is a possibility to cut to much, but that is the percentage that they can cut without having any effect on the education department. A majority of those who are being taught are not even old enough to have a job, and for those who are they are not in a job force that demands a degree. There going to college either soon or are currently enrolled. The department of education is not tailored specifically for college, it is for elementary middle and high school levels. colleges are a privately owned business after all and are not funded by tax payer money.

I've edited my post significantly since you quoted it with some more points, but, short version, I really think you're overestimating how many excess people there are working in education, and I don't think turning the majority of them from tax-paying consumers into welfare leeches who are no longer buying services in the local economy is the best course of action.

Where are the jobs for all these people you're planning to lay off (plus the jobs at companies which supply the teachers and schools with equipment, which sell them their cars to get to work, the things they buy in their leisure time) going to come from?

EDIT: I don't get your point about school kids not being old enough to have a job, I thought the plan was that education is planning for the future?

I've updated the quote in this post, It's not like I wanted them to be fired just like that *snaps fingers* there would be a set date that they knew about ahead of time, they would get time off to find a suitable job and if they could not by that date then it's tough shit, there out of a job. We don't have the money to promise all of these benefits and packages, were broke and like stated previously, tough and painful cuts have to be made, Once when I lived in Georgia while I was on the beach I was speaking to a woman who worked for the FBI, she was telling me all about how great working for the government is and how there will never be a shortage of jobs, now this lady had a 3/4 year old daughter that she supported on her own. I know that it sucks to be fired, but it has to be done. they have the option to resign and not have that mark on there employment record. There are temp services all around the country, there is monster.com and several other similar programs, hell they could go into business privately as a group and start there own firm. What has to happen is what has to happen and there is no way around it, life sucks but we all have to bite the bullet sometime.

To clarify my comment about school kids, let me rephrase. When is the last time you saw a 5th grader working behind the counter at a white castle, McDonald's or Burger King? If you feel the situation in a public school is deteriorating due to the fact that people have been let go, fired or quit there are other options. Homeschooling, Private Schools are just a few of them.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
431unknown said:
murkurie said:
431unknown said:

Yeah ok here is what I meant to say is that the quality of education should not be cut. As far as funding if you can get the same quality with less cost then I'm all for it. There is bloat in every school administartion.

My school district is completely and utterly screwed. 23% of the teachers in the district were cut for next year. That is over 100 teachers no longer available. Class sizes in my high school of 1400 are going to get really, really bad. It's hit the point where many administrations got rid of the extra that could be cut, and have hit a point where they just have to cut more, as the government provides the most inadequate funding possible. From when I started in elementary school, to what is going to be the start of my senior year of high school come Fall, I've only seen my schools get less and less funding, while more and more teachers disappear. My class sizes continue to grow, and my quality of education dips by the year with the teachers not having enough time to actually teach, grade, and give the required personalized time to those who may require it.

Getting about 25 students to concentrate, do their assignments, and understand is hard enough. Bump that up to between 40 and 50, and I wouldn't be too surprised if dropout rates jumped. Even students can only take too much before they realize that they've been fucked over one time too many by a government that has no idea where it's priorities are.

Edit: For homeschooling and private school, those can get expensive. They can get expensive quickly. They are not an option for everybody, hell, they aren't an option for most.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
431unknown said:
Who the hell is talking about cutting school funding?

The people who naively reckon you can cut funding by 95% and still have the same result. It may seem appealing. but try it for real and the law of unintended consequence kicks in.

It's a false economy. Save money now by creating a crumbling, shitty school system with low pay so that no decent teachers want to work in it and you end up with a large, uneducated workforce and in future you lose work abroad. And, TLS, working for the FBI should be a good job to be in! What the hell's wrong with that? And I still have no idea what point you're trying to make about school kids not working at McDonalds. Maybe it's just early.

As for the bailouts, the problem was that the financial meltdown exposed one of the biggest lies about capitalism, the myth of perfect self regulation. This idea that if companies, banks etc make bad decisions, that it's them who suffer. That there's no reward for failure. The people who caused the banking crash, reckless investors, CEOs etc were never going to end up in a bedsit. Investment bankers had already been paid their huge bonuses in the short term for taking huge risks. The CEOs who encouraged that behaviour were being either kept in their jobs or given huge golden handshakes (mandated by their contracts) and then parachuted into another obscenely highly paid job by their old boys club. The people suffering were the small and medium size businesses who could no longer get loans to buy the stock they needed to expand, and their employees who then had to be fired and lost their house. If it had continued and banks went under, sensible savers, who had nothing to do with the crash, would have lost money. That's why banks had to be bailed out, because they'd been under-regulated and the people that would have been hurt by them going under would not have been the people who made the bad decisions.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Nathan Drake said:
431unknown said:
murkurie said:
431unknown said:

My school district is completely and utterly screwed. 23% of the teachers in the district were cut for next year. That is over 100 teachers no longer available. Class sizes in my high school of 1400 are going to get really, really bad. It's hit the point where many administrations got rid of the extra that could be cut, and have hit a point where they just have to cut more, as the government provides the most inadequate funding possible. From when I started in elementary school, to what is going to be the start of my senior year of high school come Fall, I've only seen my schools get less and less funding, while more and more teachers disappear. My class sizes continue to grow, and my quality of education dips by the year with the teachers not having enough time to actually teach, grade, and give the required personalized time to those who may require it.

Getting about 25 students to concentrate, do their assignments, and understand is hard enough. Bump that up to between 40 and 50, and I wouldn't be too surprised if dropout rates jumped. Even students can only take too much before they realize that they've been fucked over one time too many by a government that has no idea where it's priorities are.

Edit: For homeschooling and private school, those can get expensive. They can get expensive quickly. They are not an option for everybody, hell, they aren't an option for most.

Well exactly. Must be nice to have enough free time to sit about being a teacher for free instead of working 10 hours a day to make ends meet and feed your kid,

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
i always thought tanzania and african countries have huge debts but i think america has the total of all our debts
and they are still running in the wars... concentrate on yer ppl before u go outside to try to help others as claimed

TLSS_N

No rice, No life! ~唯
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BlueStar said:
431unknown said:
Who the hell is talking about cutting school funding?

The people who naively reckon you can cut funding by 95% and still have the same result. It may seem appealing. but try it for real and the law of unintended consequence kicks in.

It's a false economy. Save money now by creating a crumbling, shitty school system with low pay so that no decent teachers want to work in it and you end up with a large, uneducated workforce and in future you lose work abroad. And, TLS, working for the FBI should be a good job to be in! What the hell's wrong with that? And I still have no idea what point you're trying to make about school kids not working at McDonalds. Maybe it's just early.

As for the bailouts, the problem was that the financial meltdown exposed one of the biggest lies about capitalism, the myth of perfect self regulation. This idea that if companies, banks etc make bad decisions, that it's them who suffer. That there's no reward for failure. The people who caused the banking crash, reckless investors, CEOs etc were never going to end up in a bedsit. Investment bankers had already been paid their huge bonuses in the short term for taking huge risks. The CEOs who encouraged that behaviour were being either kept in their jobs or given huge golden handshakes (mandated by their contracts) and then parachuted into another obscenely highly paid job by their old boys club. The people suffering were the small and medium size businesses who could no longer get loans to buy the stock they needed to expand, and their employees who then had to be fired and lost their house. If it had continued and banks went under, sensible savers, who had nothing to do with the crash, would have lost money. That's why banks had to be bailed out, because they'd been under-regulated and the people that would have been hurt by them going under would not have been the people who made the bad decisions.

I never said to cut funding, I said 95% of employees could be cut, I also said that they could have time to find another job!

And throwing money at the problem fixes it!? Money doesn't fix the problem, being a good teacher fixes it! not cow towing your political views to a bunch of children! don't believe me? sesame street,Making it seem like a bad thing to pull for a republican,Story of stuff, Building fluency,Anita Dunn should I go on?

No, the problem with the bailouts is that the financial uptick rule needs to be reinstated, they should never have happened in the fist place and we can thank the throw back idea of open borders for the housing crash, along side forcing a privately owned business to make loans that are so fucking obviously not going to be payed back. it's hilarious because the Clinton's are moving twords running the imf, wasn't it billy boy who forced those very same privately owned businesses to make the loans!? Oh, and more regulation helps huh? just tell that to the coal industry, 180 million times over. I could go on, but I have to quit, I'm moving back to TN tommorow, and I can't be sitting here arguing all day every day.

p.s. according to CNN, 48% of the country felt that we are going into another great depression, how about that!?

Edit: forgot about this one, a vast majority of those involved in the public school system are not old enough to have a job, I can't explain it any more than that and for those who are old enough, there not in major league colleges, there not even in major league jobs, there just flipping burgers and for those who go to a privately owned college, they are not affected by those who are either fired or quit the federal eduction department. remember, those are people who do not teach the children, but run the systems in each state.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Skelletonike @ Skelletonike: Welp, already have 40h in Stellar Blade and dying to home and put some more. +1