Gaming U.S. DS Lite, U.K. Game Cartridge, Will it work?

Seewolfe78

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all, I've got a quick question and I'm hoping someone can help me out. I have a U.S. DS Lite, and I want to play "Top Trumps: Doctor Who DS", which is only available as a U.K. Cartridge. If I can get this game, will it play in my DS? I looked at the 15 or so games I have and I couldn't find anything other than the Rating style that would indicate region. Thanks in advance for any help you can give!!

Ruri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seewolfe78 said:
Hi all, I've got a quick question and I'm hoping someone can help me out. I have a U.S. DS Lite, and I want to play "Top Trumps: Doctor Who DS", which is only available as a U.K. Cartridge. If I can get this game, will it play in my DS? I looked at the 15 or so games I have and I couldn't find anything other than the Rating style that would indicate region. Thanks in advance for any help you can give!!
The DS has no region locks, no. You can import games from anywhere and still play them.

Wintrale

Trophies
XP
Country
avi58 said:
Only some chineese games cannot be be played in non-chineese ds, isn't it?

No... The DS, all iterations of it, are completely region free. The only region locked feature on ANY DS model is the DSiWare Store.

Chrono_Tata

Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Wintrale said:
avi58 said:
Only some chineese games cannot be be played in non-chineese ds, isn't it?

No... The DS, all iterations of it, are completely region free. The only region locked feature on ANY DS model is the DSiWare Store.
Actually, there is a Chinese version of the DS called the iQue, which is basically the DS with Chinese character support. I don't know if there are any games specifically designed for it but if there are, they can only be run on the iQue.

Akiyo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Is iQue on the Nintendo homepage? No.

So it isnt a nintendo thing. Send a email to nintendo about it. It can make nintendo have some extra money.

That and - thankfully, unlike Sony,Nintendo never was too much of a bitch about region blocking.

Then again...*looks at the modchip-raped Wii near the left of my PC....*

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Akiyo said:
Is iQue on the Nintendo homepage? No.

So it isnt a nintendo thing. Send a email to nintendo about it. It can make nintendo have some extra money.

It is a Nintendo "thing". There's no need to email Nintendo about it, they already know about it because they're behind it.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=5711
QUOTENintendo has announced the Nintendo DS for the Chinese market, under its Chinese trade name of the iQue DS. The system will launch along with Chinese-language versions of Polarium and Wario Ware: Touched!, for an unknown price point.

Several Nintendo systems have been released under the iQue name thus far: the separate company is necessary to operate under Chinese law, but Nintendo remains the owner and operator of the subsidiary branch.

If nintendo ever decide to release the Wii in China it'll be under the iQue brand as well. The iQue DS can play all games from all regions, but retail Chinese DS games can only be played on an iQue because of the extended Chinese character support.

Akiyo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
iQue DS? That just sounds wrong. there isnt even a single word of Nintendo on it.

btw, any links/pictures so i can take alook at this?

Akiyo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ugh...i just cant accept the shocking fact that a Nintendo Product without Nintendo's name on the cover.

iQue DS. wtf.

Why cant it just be something like, Nintendo DSQue.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Akiyo said:
iQue DS? That just sounds wrong. there isnt even a single word of Nintendo on it.

btw, any links/pictures so i can take alook at this?

iQue DS lite
nintendo-ique-ds-lite02.jpg

Red dragon version
1.jpg

Nintendo iQue (basically a N64 in a controller)
database-hardware-ique01.jpg

Akiyo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Its okay, i went to google already.

i am surprised there isnt even a 任天堂 word there.

(if anyone's wondering,thats chinese for Nintendo.)

Wintrale

Trophies
XP
Country
My only question is why you've brought up the iQue stuff? They're basically just a company that Nintendo has conferred the rights to for manufacture and distribution in China. When talking about the DS Lite, we don't include the iQue version in the discussion since practically nobody outside of China has one. As far as I'm aware, there are no iQue DS-exclusive games worth mentioning, either.

So I reiterate my statement - all NDS models are completely region free, with the only exception being the DSiWare Store.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Wintrale said:
My only question is why you've brought up the iQue stuff? They're basically just a company that Nintendo has conferred the rights to for manufacture and distribution in China. When talking about the DS Lite, we don't include the iQue version in the discussion since practically nobody outside of China has one. As far as I'm aware, there are no iQue DS-exclusive games worth mentioning, either.

I don't see how any of that means we can't mention the iQue, seeing as its games are the only exception to the rule we're talking about here (as he's asking about the DS Lite and not the DSi), even if 'only' people in the most populous country in the world have the system and even if the only iQue games are ones which are available in all other regions anyway. Lots of people speak Chinese languages, so it's not unfeasible someone might want a game in their own language, have a Nintendo DS rather than an iQue DS and consider importing a Chinese DS game, so I don't think the information is totally useless. And even if the information is useless, it's still the answer to the question being asked.

avi58 was right with his post, and you were wrong when you corrected him to say all DS games could be played on all DS systems.

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
I don't see why you guys are talking about the iQue DS. I didn't bring up the iQue at any point nor did I give anybody else permission to bring up the iQue, so you guys are clearly in contradiction of at least one of my laws regarding social conduct.

Wintrale

Trophies
XP
Country
BlueStar said:
I don't see how any of that means we can't mention the iQue, seeing as its games are the only exception to the rule we're talking about here (as he's asking about the DS Lite and not the DSi), even if 'only' people in the most populous country in the world have the system and even if the only iQue games are ones which are available in all other regions anyway. Lots of people speak Chinese languages, so it's not unfeasible someone might want a game in their own language, have a Nintendo DS rather than an iQue DS and consider importing a Chinese DS game, so I don't think the information is totally useless. And even if the information is useless, it's still the answer to the question being asked.

avi58 was right with his post, and you were wrong when you corrected him to say all DS games could be played on all DS systems.

Er... Avi58 basically just spammed the thread. The OP didn't ask about anything regarding the iQue. He asked about playing a UK game on a US DS Lite. As far as I'm concerned, as many are concerned, the DS is region free. I guess it doesn't matter to you that the Chinese videogame market is absolutely tiny and that most videogame consoles aren't even sold there due to literally no profit whatsoever (why else would Nintendo refuse to sell the console there themselves? Obviously even Nintendo, with all the profit they've been making elsewhere, realise that releasing their consoles in China would net them no benefit). I mean, hell... The sales in China are so lacklustre that there's no NPD data on it at all. So again, why would the iQue matter in a thread asking whether or not a UK game would work in a US DS? For 99% of the DS owning populace, the DS is completely region free - it'll play any game from any major videogame region without problem.

Oh, and that last point... You do realise that all Chinese games are either localised Japanese titles or knockoffs, right?

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
It's pretty simple.

One of the questions in the topic title: Is DS Lite Region Specific?

Answer: It's region free apart from Chinese games, which must be played on a Chinese DS which has the larger firmware for the Chinese characters,

I don't know why you have a problem with people giving that answer, apart from the fact someone said just that and you wrongly contradicted them by saying
QUOTE said:

Wintrale

Trophies
XP
Country
BlueStar said:
It's pretty simple.

One of the questions in the topic title: Is DS Lite Region Specific?

Answer: It's region free apart from Chinese games, which must be played on a Chinese DS which has the larger firmware for the Chinese characters,

I don't know why you have a problem with people giving that answer, apart from the fact someone said just that and you wrongly contradicted them by saying
QUOTE said:

See, I don't get where you got that first bit from. As far as I can see, he specifically asks if a US DS Lite can play a UK game called Top Trumps. You and the other guy just came in to needlessly overcomplicate the issue by adding in useless information of no value to anyone. It's not like China has any exclusive games that aren't playable in other languages or anything. It's almost as if the two of you wanted to point that out just to feel smug about it or something, since it has no place or purpose in this thread.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: oh no