Gaming U.S. DS Lite, U.K. Game Cartridge, Will it work?

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Wintrale said:
BlueStar said:
It's pretty simple.

One of the questions in the topic title: Is DS Lite Region Specific?

Answer: It's region free apart from Chinese games, which must be played on a Chinese DS which has the larger firmware for the Chinese characters,

I don't know why you have a problem with people giving that answer, apart from the fact someone said just that and you wrongly contradicted them by saying
QUOTE said:
No... The DS, all iterations of it, are completely region free. The only region locked feature on ANY DS model is the DSiWare Store.

See, I don't get where you got that first bit from.

From here
85517409.jpg

As far as I can see, he specifically asks if a US DS Lite can play a UK game called Top Trumps. You and the other guy just came in to needlessly overcomplicate the issue by adding in useless information of no value to anyone. It's not like China has any exclusive games that aren't playable in other languages or anything. It's almost as if the two of you wanted to point that out just to feel smug about it or something, since it has no place or purpose in this thread.

Look, one of the main defining things about the iQue is that it's unique in terms of Chinese games needing that regional variation of the DS to play them. That's why it's brought up in a threads asking about if any DS iterations have regional lock outs. It's like if someone asked "Are there any men over 8 ft4 tall" and someone comes into the thread saying "No, there are not ANY people over 8ft 4. ALL humans are under 8ft 4 tall." And when someone says "Uh, all people are under 8ft 4 tall apart from Leonid Stadnyk, the 8ft 5 Ukranian." responding "Yeah but that doesn't COUNT, that's only one person and he lives in the Ukraine. How many people post from there? For the vast majority of people, no-one exists over 8ft 4. Therefore ALL humans EVERYWHERE are under 8ft 4. Why are you needlessly complicating the issue?"

The iQue was brought up because the answer to the question "Is DS Lite Region Specific" is "No, apart from retail Chinese carts which require a Chinese iQue DS to play them.". Whether it's only available in China or if you are interested in playing iQue carts or not is irrelevant, get over it.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
BlueStar said:
Answer: It's region free apart from Chinese games, which must be played on a Chinese DS which has the larger firmware for the Chinese characters,

You're actually wrong there. iQue games only contain a check to make sure they're not running on a "regular" DS. The supercards have bypassed this check for ages.

Games are entirely self-contained; they do not read fonts from the firmware.

(Although you are right in the sense that the firmware itself is larger)

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
arctic_flame said:
BlueStar said:

You're actually wrong there. iQue games only contain a check to make sure they're not running on a "regular" DS. The supercards have bypassed this check for ages.

Games are entirely self-contained; they do not read fonts from the firmware.

(Although you are right in the sense that the firmware itself is larger)

Wikipedia reckons different, but then again it is wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_DS#Regional_division
The Nintendo DS is region free in the sense that any console will run a Nintendo DS game purchased anywhere in the world; however, the Chinese version games can only be played on the Chinese iQue DS, whose larger firmware chip contains the required Chinese character glyph images.

EDIT: Thought the flashcarts that can play iQue games don't simply bypass a check, they actually use some of their memory to provide the storage needed for the chinese character sets which is missing from the standard western DS machines. I'm happy to be corrected on that though. Guess you need the extra characters for stuff like pictochat and entering your name in the firmware anyway.

Akiyo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Now you two, stop flaming each other. Both of you is just trying to be helpful.

For the very least, i know iQue DS exist now.

Wintrale

Trophies
XP
Country
BlueStar said:
Look, one of the main defining things about the iQue is that it's unique in terms of Chinese games needing that regional variation of the DS to play them. That's why it's brought up in a threads asking about if any DS iterations have regional lock outs. The iQue was brought up because the answer to the question "Is DS Lite Region Specific" is "No, apart from retail Chinese carts which require a Chinese iQue DS to play them.". Whether it's only available in China or if you are interested in playing iQue carts or not is irrelevant, get over it.

Fine, fine... If you're so deadset on being pendantic, I won't stop you. I assumed the last bit added to the title of the thread was merely a follow-on to his main question (such as when people ask "Can I use my UK credit card on my US PSN account? Will it work?"), not an entirely new question. I'll make a note next time anyone asks if a certain region game works in another region to point out, rather rudely, that the iQue DS is the only real region free DS and that all other official models are inferior.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: I have a number of geriatric relatives.