Gaming U or E ?

Fieryshadowz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So yea i have some roms and i dont understand if theres a difference between (U) and (E) roms... does it mean (United States) and (Europe) ?

Lurick

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For many/most games, there is little practical difference between "U" and "E" roms. Both tend to be ported over in English, and the "E" for Europe seems to mean the United Kingdom more often than not.

Then again, there are sometimes pretty big differences between the varying versions ... the general rule of thumb that I use is if I know little/nothing about the versions, to default with "U" if it's available. I'm American, so that makes sense.

It's not always necessarily the best thing to get the ROM file for the version that was meant for your region, however ... sometimes certain versions can be glitchy (Harvest Moon DS), have portions of storyline/script (even gameplay!) omitted (Final Fantasy IV), and so forth.

Really, if you're worried about it, the best thing you can do is a bit of case-by-case research. Failing that, default to your region. Try to get a copy with a "!" code after the region ... this means that it's a verified good dump.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
US is purely english

EU usually has multiple language options including English or just english

so it doesn't matter what you get.

arman68

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Armenia
(U) is USA and usually contains only english language; although sometimes it also has french or spanish

(E) is Europe and usually contains multiple languages, including english

Most of the time, the games are exactly the same with the addition of translations. If you are only interested in english, grab the (U): it is often out first, and can be trimmed to a smaller size than the (E) version.

RyuKakashi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
E's Trace Memory is more loyal to a direct japanese translation. U's has more localization (the name of the game for example)
sometimes E gets bonus things in games to make up for the poor english guys that have to wait so long for it to get translated to the other languages
so far for DS, i can't say much.

mastermaw

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm inclined towards (E) because in my silly mind they were released later and consequently less "buggy". Unless space is tight and the (U) is smaller...

It's quite odd actually how i believe (E) to be substantial and complete and (U) to be ragged and rushed. What a thicko eh?

maw.

chicken64

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I used to go for the (E) versions, being from the UK. But the English in the (E) versions tends to be the same as the English in the (U) versions (i.e. American spellings are still in the E versions, such as humor/humour - US/UK respectively). That's probably not on all games, but most from what I've noticed.

The (U) versions tend to have a smaller file size, a few (U) versions are 32MB while the (E) versions are 64MB (both before trimming). I presume this is because of the extra languages, as opposed to any bug fixes.

I guess it depends on the release dates and the publisher. The language (UK/US differences) tends to be better by some publishers than others.

Doesn't make a big difference really.
wink.gif

snazzypants

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
They're usually the same. Sometimes they will change the names even in non-story oriented games. For example in Meteos the names of most of the planets are different.

Taras

I'm Not Hating, I'm Just Sayin'
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
As I understand, so as not to mimic the American culture of violence, (E) games can't legally include guns but instead are limited to menacing facial expressions, slapfights and in some cases, beer farts as fighting mechanics.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You should find out from the mod dev how to uninstall it. Every mod is different on how you install/uninstall.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @The Real Jdbye Wouldn't that take out bunch other stuff also?
  • D @ dadadad:
    Is it safe to delete the entire atmosphere folder? I don't remember what else was there, like edizon and tesla menu are installed through atmosphere, is it not a problem, will I not damage the system? There were too many mods, I won’t be able to contact each one, nothing was said about deleting in the description.
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @BigOnYa nothing that can't easily be replaced
    +1
    @dadadad no don't do that
    that will reset the configs
  • Arne214 @ Arne214:
    where can i find a clean copy of the mii maker for the wii u (EU)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Arne214, We don't ask for roms.
    +2
  • D @ dadadad:
    The installation was only through rofms and in the game folder in content. What else can I do?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I already told them about that and yet they make a thread
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Well I'm sure the mods will take care of it.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Reminds me of that one Spanish guy who was in here a week or so ago, that wouldn't translate their messages.
  • Arne214 @ Arne214:
    ok sry
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I don't remember him
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @SylverReZ Si means yes, no means maybe
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Arne214, it's fine but dont ask for roms here again
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, I only know very little Spanish, haven't done it in 5 years lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, que tan poco?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I took 3 years of Spanish in high school, ages ago but don't remb most of it. Like they say, if you don't use it, you lose it.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, A bit. I only know greetings and some other parts. Its quite an easy language to learn.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    But I don't remember most of it.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, easy to learn despite having some relatively complex rules
    +1
  • D @ dadadad:
    Should I just accept that I won't play this game anymore, or is there a way to solve this problem?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    For some reason I remember a bunch of swear words tho, lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, cuz we swear more than talk normally i guess
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, cuz we swear more than talk normally i guess