Typical lifespan?

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by About7fish, Jul 25, 2014.

1. About7fish
    OP

About7fish Member

Newcomer
    Aug 18, 2012
    United States
    I've recently picked up my DSLite, resolved to complete my backlog of games before buying anything new. I've noticed that my flash cart is crashing more and more often these days though. One time it outright failed to load after skipping a cutscene in Radiant Historia and then my DS wouldn't acknowledge the card for the next 5 or so minutes.

My cart is only 2 and a half years old. Could it be dying already? And if so, what alternatives are there to the DSTwo? I've found emulation to be fairly lackluster and therefore never use it, so suffice it to say that it's no big deal if my next flash card doesn't have its own processor or any of the bells and whistles. Hell, that would probably do wonders for my battery life anyway.

2. dragonblood9999

dragonblood9999 GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 27, 2007
    Canada
    the micro sd might be dieing

3. About7fish
    OP

About7fish Member

Newcomer
    Aug 18, 2012
    United States
    I suppose I can't rule that out. I'll try a different micro sd next time I get a crash to see if I have a more consistent user experience.

4. syfyTy

syfyTy PhD in Thaumaturgy

Apr 11, 2011
    United States
    Tazmily, USA
    I've had my ds2 for 8 plus years and it shows no sign of dying. I bought a second one in case that died but never have needed it yet. I'm glad I did because I hear the new quality of the case / cartridge is terrible. I too would say the SD card. Different qualities of sd card definitely last different length of time.

5. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Try cleaning the contacts, and/or using the paper trick to make a solid connection.