Hacking Type-0 translator looking for a new game

Hargrun

Support the arts! (The games, silly.)
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
[Above. :lol:]
What about translated videos? Edited videos can't be C&D'ed?

Awww, I don't know... Your ideas are great but I would feel bad pointing some projects for "those annoying users"... You know, the impatient ones.

If such a list is created I hope that the creator put a veeery large and colorful warning, so people avoid appearing to the translators only to rush them or request more translations... If so I will contribute for sure.

HHTurtle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
What about translated videos? Edited videos can't be C&D'ed?
What GHANMI said is correct. Fan translations rarely get C&D letters. It only seems that way because the ones that do, get the most controversy.

As for edited videos, it's a case of "better be safe than sorry". If you can't insert subtitles without editing them into the videos, either don't release the patch or maybe ask the company if they are cool with it (Not sure if this has been tried before).

Reactions: Hargrun

Jiro2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know a few of the games in the Tales Of series have projects either on secret or hiatus status. I'd love to see a full translation of Tales of Destiny 2, among other unlocalised titles in the series.

I would suggest that too. Many Tales translations have been in progress for an insane length of time. Destiny 2 has been in progress since at least 2006 (with a long hiatus in there). Destiny PS2 has been in progress for five years without anything. I don't know how many Tales translations projects welcome new people, though.

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't see the big deal with the videos.
You can apply an xdelta patch to convert the untouched FMV data (extracted earlier by the patching program from the to-be-patched-iso) to the translated FMV, which is then reinserted in the translated iso. No need to distribute the whole FMV data, that's asking for trouble.

HHTurtle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
You can apply an xdelta patch to convert the untouched FMV data (extracted earlier by the patching program from the to-be-patched-iso) to the translated FMV, which is then reinserted in the translated iso. No need to distribute the whole FMV data, that's asking for trouble.
I'm not sure but they told me they weren't able to create the usual xdelta patch with FF Type-0 so maybe there are other cases like that.

You'd have to ask Merkabah for more on that.

Jonipon

Trophies
XP
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
Did anyone ever gave a look to :
_Seven - The Cavalry of Molmorth (PS2)
_Venus and Braves (PSP,PS2) (7 sequel)
_Nanatsu Kaze - No Shima Monogatari (Saturn)
_Brave Prove (PSX)
_Community Pom (PSX)
_Dragon Quest IV (PSX)
_London Seirei Tanteidan (PSX)

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
Did anyone ever gave a look to :
_Seven - The Cavalry of Molmorth (PS2)
_Venus and Braves (PSP,PS2) (7 sequel)
_Nanatsu Kaze - No Shima Monogatari (Saturn)
_Brave Prove (PSX)
_Community Pom (PSX)
_Dragon Quest IV (PSX)
_London Seirei Tanteidan (PSX)

You don't need JP knowledge to finish Brave Prove.
You don't need a translation for the PS1 version of DQ4, since a DS port exists in English.

Zero Dozer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hm, I don't know where to post this idea, move it to some appropriate place if you guys see fit. Though it can be of some interest to Merkabah.

There is a SNES Tactics Ogre hack known as Chronicle Valeria. http://w11.zetaboards.com/Tactics_Ogre_Forums/topic/928443/1/

Thing is, the hack is in Japanese. The people at the Tactics Ogre Forums (Which I kinda hail from) have tried to get this translated. The hack's creator tried to do it himself, but time got on his way and he had to give up. I'm a Tactics Ogre fan myself, and the forums have access to a Trainer that could help with the translation of this game. We only need someone that could help us translating the game.

cj_iwakura

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're at all interested. there's a few projects my team is working on, namely The Silver Case and Shadowrun(Sega CD). PSP wise, we've dabbled in Growlanser(the original).

Jonipon

Trophies
XP
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
You don't need JP knowledge to finish Brave Prove.
You don't need a translation for the PS1 version of DQ4, since a DS port exists in English.
For DQ IV, playing a long rpg on the DS's tiny mediocre screen isn't really suitable (i regret discovering Chrono Trigger with the DS version), a comfortable joypad on TV or an emulator with some graphical enhancement would be great, like FF3 remake on PSP or 'ppsspp'
Unfortunately there is a lot of other games that need a translation : PoPoLoCrois serie, Marl Oukoku 2+3, Akazukin Chacha...

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
For DQ IV, playing a long rpg on the DS's tiny mediocre screen isn't really suitable (i regret discovering Chrono Trigger with the DS version), a comfortable joypad on TV or an emulator with some graphical enhancement would be great, like FF3 remake on PSP or 'ppsspp'
Unfortunately there is a lot of other games that need a translation : PoPoLoCrois serie, Marl Oukoku 2+3, Akazukin Chacha...

Learn how to hack these games to properly display English & contribute yourself with something, then come back looking for a translator.
A Translator just translates a txt file, not both hack and translate.

Your requests aren't serious and thus won't be fulfilled.

For example you come here saying that DQ4 needs a translation, while it has two official translated scripts (NES, DS and yes the script is identical) and one more for the SNES fan-translation.
And you're asking for a text translator here what? To translate the Japanese script one fourth time?

Unless you're mistaking him for a hacker who can modify the PS1 version (which he isn't, he can only translate the text and give it to someone who can modify the roms to insert the text for him)? Because if so you're mistaken and you should go to romhacking.net and ask people to insert the DS English script into the PS1 iso (and enjoy the reactions)

And even assuming you could help with the PS1 version hacking and thus your request is valid...
He is asking for Japanese only games that so far have never been translated and need his translation skills.
Of all untranslated stuff, is frigging Dragon Quest 4 (whose PS1 version has an identical 1:1 port in English for both the DS (which can have its graphics upscaled to HD) and iOS) more important to the degree it needs to have its script re-translated yet another time? It has a literal translation AND a localized translation, so that people dissatisfied with one can play the other one, and no censorship of any sort!

I'm not even discussing how wrong is being concerned about graphics in a Dragon Quest game of all things, a series that's historically low budget.

Why do this?

On an off-topic note, if you regret discovering Chrono Trigger on the DS (which is the best port hands down, along with the original) please try the "HD"/""hig resolution" PS1 or Android versions and see for yourself.
You can get a special version of DesMume that renders ploygns in HD. You can resize the window, and use all kinds of filters. You can assign controls to your joypad and plug a TV t your PC as a screen.
You can also ask a translator to translate something massive that was already translated for no reason related to the existing translation's quality, but that would make you seem like an asshole. I assume you're not, so please try to quit doing it.

Reactions: JamRules

Iskatar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys,

This is Merkabah, one of the guys who worked on the Type-0 fan translation patch that was released a few weeks ago. Now that the release has settled down for that, I'm looking for a new project to be a part of, if anybody's willing to have me! I've seen a lot of different projects on here and other forums that are in various stages of completion, but haven't received much word back from the different people in charge of them. So if anybody would like me to help or can point me at a project that needs the help, I'd much appreciate it! Or if you have any requests for different video-game-related things that you might want translated, too. We can talk.

The skills I can bring to a project:

- Translation, localization, proofreading, and editing
- Video and graphics work
- Overall script structure, internal consistency

Sorry in advance if this is not a good place to post this, please move or delete it if it'd be better off somewhere else. Thanks!

- Merkabah
Thoughts on the PSP release of the first Tokimeki Memorial?

Reactions: earlynovfan

FailName

░▒▓█▓▒░
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Calm down sandpit Batman, the guy asked for something to translate, i gave him some ideas, no one is forcing him, and if i remember no one asked you so go wave your little hands elsewhere.
His point was that he was a translator, and that he had asked for something to translate, but that DQ4 already has two scripts been translated, proofread, localized, edited, etc years apart from each other (Well, not the DS party chat).

For DQ4 PSX to be translated in the way that includes having the game in English, someone would need to hack the game for displaying and inserting English text, which is not something Merkabah said he can do. You're not the first person that seems to think otherwise, and at this point this thread is just asking people asking for random Japanese games to be translated.

Also, this is a publicly available forum, so there's no "do not speak until directly spoken to" rule, so no point in getting angry at people who butt in, such as myself.

Reactions: GHANMI

Shadowlurker

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sure someone has already suggested it, but why not join in on one of the two currently being translated digimon games? I know that the DS one is DEFINITELY looking for translators.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The patch will be very big and will contain all the edited videos data.

I don't know the codec used on PSP, but I remember Xenogears french translation project used a method to patch only the area of the video which needed to display subtitles.
Usually, videos are set of squares, if you can encode the new video with subtitles, then determine which squares you need to replace in the original video and make the xdelta on the original+new squares only it will be a shorter patch and it won't include the full copyrighted re-encoded video. The advantage is also that the video won't suffer from re-encoding quality loss, except on subtitles area.
It will require a good knowlege of video stream and encoding.
Maybe it's not possible based on IPB frames.

Reactions: Hargrun and GHANMI

Jonipon

Trophies
XP
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
I'm not here to pick a fight, i understand that's a lot of work just wishing for a full screen experience that's all (like the fan trad of DQ V on PS2), i would loved to help but english is my fourth language and very mediocre, i will retard any project for years, i'm very grateful for all hard work done in translations but the masked avenger called me an 'asshole' for no reason, this is not a sane way to communicate.

Anyway, please stop off topic.

macaronron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not here to pick a fight, i understand that's a lot of work just wishing for a full screen experience that's all (like the fan trad of DQ V on PS2), i would loved to help but english is my fourth language and very mediocre, i will retard any project for years, i'm very grateful for all hard work done in translations but the masked avenger called me an 'asshole' for no reason, this is not a sane way to communicate.

Anyway, please stop off topic.

The issue isn't that you want a full screen experience. The issue is you want a full screen experience of a game that already has three translations. What you need isn't a translator but a hacker. You want someone who can dump the Japanese scripts from the PSX version and the DS version and compare them. It's only when there are differences that you'd need a translator, but from what I understand, the script is the same, so you don't even need a translator. You just need someone who can insert the English DS script into the Japanese PSX game. (Though I think this would qualify as a slightly darker shade of legal gray than a normal fan translation.)

The skills required by the project you're suggesting are not the skills that Merkabah has and is offering.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: idk