Hacking Two questions about the PSP 3000

ekko25

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Regarding memory, you could always use M2 cards via an adapter which are officially supported.
I have SD cards lying around, but no M2 cards.

what are all the possible causes of a brick?

Usually bricks come from people trying to put a custom firmware for the 1000/2000 on a newer/incompatible PSP, custom themes back in the day, generally playing around with things on the psp nand you not sure of.

a PSP 3000, Using Pro-B10, and with a good speed Micro SD card(s) in an adapter should be fine.
I won't be doing anything like that, so I should be safe then.
I'll only really be using the PSP for playing games from ISOs and PSX emulation, and won't be messing with system settings I shouldn't change, custom themes and stuff like that.

vpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Regarding memory, you could always use M2 cards via an adapter which are officially supported.
I have SD cards lying around, but no M2 cards.

what are all the possible causes of a brick?

Usually bricks come from people trying to put a custom firmware for the 1000/2000 on a newer/incompatible PSP, custom themes back in the day, generally playing around with things on the psp nand you not sure of.

a PSP 3000, Using Pro-B10, and with a good speed Micro SD card(s) in an adapter should be fine.
I won't be doing anything like that, so I should be safe then.
I'll only really be using the PSP for playing games from ISOs and PSX emulation, and won't be messing with system settings I shouldn't change, custom themes and stuff like that.

Yeah, aslong as you use the right mods (pro-b10) you will be fine playing games, there isn't really any system settings that could break things.
It's only really things you are putting things on/modifying on the actual psp nand that has the potential to brick, if done wrong.

Best way to avoid bricks, is to always read up and make sure you 100% know what you are doing, if ever changing anything major (custom firmwares and the like)

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
It's only really things you are putting things on/modifying on the actual psp nand that has the potential to brick, if done wrong.

Right....i ignored it the first time but i can't this time. Pray tell how you could brick a PSP by adding/removing something from flash3?

If you don't know what a PSP's NAND is, then STOP using the term. You can brick by messing around in flash0 NOT the NAND as a whole.

ekko25

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

If only these were available here D:

Yeah, aslong as you use the right mods (pro-b10) you will be fine playing games, there isn't really any system settings that could break things.

Best way to avoid bricks, is to always read up and make sure you 100% know what you are doing, if ever changing anything major (custom firmwares and the like)

Got it; I'll be careful.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
You're just being picky xist, I'm sure that flash0 was exactly what vpd meant.

You call it picky....the only real worry about bricking is the flash0, and the NAND as a whole is made up of so much more than that. It's like saying you've broken your arm after you've stubbed a toe.

vpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're just being picky xist, I'm sure that flash0 was exactly what vpd meant.

You call it picky....the only real worry about bricking is the flash0, and the NAND as a whole is made up of so much more than that. It's like saying you've broken your arm after you've stubbed a toe.
There was no point explaining the ins and outs of it, just that it doesnt need to be played with.
The op doesnt even have a psp yet so me saying flash0 is a no-no but flash3 fine doesnt mean anything.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
There was no point explaining the ins and outs of it, just that it doesnt need to be played with.
The op doesnt even have a psp yet so me saying flash0 is a no-no but flash3 fine doesnt mean anything.

So you're intentionally scaring the guy out of backing up license files and removing dormant themes from flash1 for no reason?

And if neither flash0 nor flash3 mean anything, neither will the NAND. Why not give him the correct information to start with rather than something that's wrong.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

So you're intentionally scaring the guy out of backing up license files and removing dormant themes from flash1 for no reason?

And if neither flash0 nor flash3 mean anything, neither will the NAND. Why not give him the correct information to start with rather than something that's wrong.

He basically told him not to poke a landmine with a stick unless he knows where to poke, otherwise there is a significant chance that his poking will cause the mine to explode in his face. It's a fair warning, really.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
If you don't want to spend much on the PRO Duo, get an SD-to-PRO Duo adapter, CR-5400 is quite good and has two slots for microSD's, you can expand memory capacity up to 32GB (2x16GB SD's). You can basically have 3-4 times the capacity for the same price and the read speed isn't all that different in comparison. I have two of those and I'm quite happy with them, although I have to admit they're sort of "flimsy" so you have to watch out not to damage them - best to just put one in your PSP and never take it out again. Unfortunatelly this is basically the best adapter, thus the chinese boys already make fake ones, so if yours doesn't work "right" then return it.

PhotoFast.jpg

I'd also purchase a 2000 rather than a 3000, specifically for Pandora purposes. If you brick a 3000 and Recovery Menu fails - you brick it for good. The only difference between 2000 and 3000 is the microphone and a slightly brighter screen, so yeah - it's a basically unbrickable PSP vs. a shitty microphone that you would replace with a headset anyways if you had any wish to use it properly.

Agreed, an earlier SLIM 2000 (ta-088v2 or lower) can save you from a brick because of the ipl exploit available (also it allows you to install full CFW). But they're rare nowadays, not counting the condition if the unit is used

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1