Hacking Two questions about the PSP 3000

ekko25

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm thinking of buying a PSP 3000 with the money I got on Christmas, and have two questions about it:
- Would a Memory Stick Duo be fast enough to run ISOs, emulate PSX games, run homebrew etc, or would I need to get a Memory Stick PRO Duo?
- It looks like I'll be installing the 6.60 PRO firmware, following this guide: http://gbatemp.net/topic/293978-how-to-softmod-hack-your-psp/
Is there a risk of bricking, how likely is it that I'll brick the PSP, and is the chance only there the first time I load the PRO firmware, or each time I start it up?

MadHouse38

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm thinking of buying a PSP 3000 with the money I got on Christmas, and have two questions about it:
- Would a Memory Stick Duo be fast enough to run ISOs, emulate PSX games, run homebrew etc, or would I need to get a Memory Stick PRO Duo?
- It looks like I'll be installing the 6.60 PRO firmware, following this guide: http://gbatemp.net/t...-hack-your-psp/
Is there a risk of bricking, how likely is it that I'll brick the PSP, and is the chance only there the first time I load the PRO firmware, or each time I start it up?

1. I think pro duo is better. Theres some risks of crashing those stick duo.
2. There is NO CHANCE of bricking psp with Pro b10. i use 6.60 pro b10 with my psp 3004 and its totally safe.

Have fun with your psp.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
A memory stick Duo means it's maximum size is 32MB, above that they are branded as PRO Duo. Given the size of PSP content you won't get far with a Duo. Grab a Sandisk Pro Duo (or better yet a Sandisk Ultra II Pro Duo) and you're good to go.

There's always a chance of bricking with firmware changes, even official ones. To ensure everything goes to plan make sure your PSP is plugged in to the charger, your plugins and themes are all disabled and you have a decent memory stick.

ekko25

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
- It looks like I'll be installing the 6.60 PRO firmware, following this guide: http://gbatemp.net/t...-hack-your-psp/

1. I think pro duo is better. Theres some risks of crashing those stick duo.
2. There is NO CHANCE of bricking psp with Pro b10. i use 6.60 pro b10 with my psp 3004 and its totally safe.

Have fun with your psp.
A memory stick Duo means it's maximum size is 32MB, above that they are branded as PRO Duo. Given the size of PSP content you won't get far with a Duo. Grab a Sandisk Pro Duo (or better yet a Sandisk Ultra II Pro Duo) and you're good to go.

There's always a chance of bricking with firmware changes, even official ones. To ensure everything goes to plan make sure your PSP is plugged in to the charger, your plugins and themes are all disabled and you have a decent memory stick.
Thanks for the replies. It sounds safe enough to me now. Didn't know about that 32Mb limit; I'm going for an 8Gb Sandisk PRO Duo (would go for 16Gb, but local prices are insane).

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If you don't want to spend much on the PRO Duo, get an SD-to-PRO Duo adapter, CR-5400 is quite good and has two slots for microSD's, you can expand memory capacity up to 32GB (2x16GB SD's). You can basically have 3-4 times the capacity for the same price and the read speed isn't all that different in comparison. I have two of those and I'm quite happy with them, although I have to admit they're sort of "flimsy" so you have to watch out not to damage them - best to just put one in your PSP and never take it out again. Unfortunatelly this is basically the best adapter, thus the chinese boys already make fake ones, so if yours doesn't work "right" then return it.

PhotoFast.jpg

I'd also purchase a 2000 rather than a 3000, specifically for Pandora purposes. If you brick a 3000 and Recovery Menu fails - you brick it for good. The only difference between 2000 and 3000 is the microphone and a slightly brighter screen, so yeah - it's a basically unbrickable PSP vs. a shitty microphone that you would replace with a headset anyways if you had any wish to use it properly.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
If you don't want to spend much on the PRO Duo, get an SD-to-PRO Duo adapter, CR-5400 is quite good and has two slots for microSD's, you can expand memory capacity up to 32GB (2x16GB SD's). You can basically have 3-4 times the capacity for the same price and the read speed isn't all that different in comparison. I

PhotoFast.jpg

MASSIVE DISAGREEMENTS ENSUE!!! (LOUD NOISES!!!22112321321213! :grog: )

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Obviously an original PRO Duo is "better" and "more reliable" then an adapter (duh!), however I've never experienced any data loss at all with those and the price tag speaks for itself. Some people like to have 8GB that reads this 1 second faster, I'd rather have 16GB that's... well, 16GB.

vpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As Foxi4 said, I'd recommend using a Micro SD to Pro Duo Adapter to save on cash to.
I use one with an 8gb Class 4 micro sd with no slowdown or lag what so ever.
And there is no speed difference between that and my proper Sandisk Pro Duo cards.

The_Dragons_Mast

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
I'd also purchase a 2000 rather than a 3000, specifically for Pandora purposes. If you brick a 3000 and Recovery Menu fails - you brick it for good. The only difference between 2000 and 3000 is the microphone and a slightly brighter screen, so yeah - it's a basically unbrickable PSP vs. a shitty microphone that you would replace with a headset anyways if you had any wish to use it properly.

Its true that that a pandora supporting 2000 can be considered better than a 3000 but half of the 2000s around also doesn't support pandora so unless he can find a really cheap one or can be sure it supports pandora he is better off getting a 3000 .

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

Its true that that a pandora supporting 2000 can be considered better than a 3000 but half of the 2000s around also doesn't support pandora so unless he can find a really cheap one or can be sure it supports pandora he is better off getting a 3000 .
"Half" is too big of a word, only the last few 2000's produced are non-pandorable. It's easy to check - just read the Data Code in the battery compartment. If it's under 8B then it is pandorable, if it's 8B then it's 50/50, if over it then don't buy it. After 1 round around the local pawn shops I found 6 pandorable 2000's in a rainbow of colours, they're not hard to find.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
And there is no speed difference between that and my proper Sandisk Pro Duo cards.

There most assuredly is.

Every PSP user is tempted...i bought one, used it, and then realised that the speed differences and risk of random problems weren't worth it for me. I've got two 4GB Sandisks which are more than enough.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

There most assuredly is.

Every PSP user is tempted...i bought one, used it, and then realised that the speed differences and risk of random problems weren't worth it for me. I've got two 4GB Sandisks which are more than enough.
It really is a matter of luck - if you have read issues then you bought a fake one. I have one fake cr-5400, just to know the differences - they're quite easy to spot, both on the hardware and the software plane.

ekko25

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Went out looking earlier, and found a shop which still sells 1000s - no 2000s though.
I'd definitely go for a 2000 if I could, but I can't find them anywhere.
Would the 1000 be a better option than the 3000? It's unbrickable, but the console itself isn't as great (worse screen and disc tray, bulkier etc). It's pretty much the same price for both.
As for storage, if I can find a microSD to Pro Duo adapter, I'll take it. I'm more worried about size than quality, and I can get a 32Gb microSD card for the price of an 8Gb Pro Duo.

vpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

There most assuredly is.

If there is a speed difference its so small its un-noticable (like milliseconds), it causes no lag/longer load times for me.
Maybe if you was using a fake micro sd card you would get problems, but use a legit one and it's fine.

I get no lag on games like the intro to crisis core which apparently had issues with fake cards.

And what risk of random problems? The only problem i've heard of is if you have an adapter with two micro sd card slots like above, and you take the micro sds out and try write to them seperately it can corrupt them, but i only have single card slot ones.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You'd have to get two 16's I think, although I didn't test it myself so I can't tell - all the manufacturer says is that it is expandable up to 32GB.

As far as the 1000's concerned, it has less RAM so automatically hombrew apps like Go!Tube and Netfront will work slower and the loading times will be higher, so no point in getting one if you intend to use those.

vpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Went out looking earlier, and found a shop which still sells 1000s - no 2000s though.
I'd definitely go for a 2000 if I could, but I can't find them anywhere.
Would the 1000 be a better option than the 3000? It's unbrickable, but the console itself isn't as great (worse screen and disc tray, bulkier etc). It's pretty much the same price for both.
As for storage, if I can find a microSD to Pro Duo adapter, I'll take it. I'm more worried about size than quality, and I can get a 32Gb microSD card for the price of an 8Gb Pro Duo.

I'd get the 3000 over the 1000, it may be unbrickable the 1000, but aslong as you are careful and don't do anything stupid/do your research on anything that could possibly brick it you will be fine.

DarkStriker

GBAtemp's Kpop lover!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
Never experienced noise with the CR-5400. And i gurantee you that you use atleast half the price of a 32 GB pro duo to get 2x 16GB micro SD combined with CR-5400.
Used it for 3 years now nad it has yet to die out on me, or get faulty or lose files.

ekko25

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Again, thanks for the replies - I'd be lost without them.
So, just to check:
- The PSP 3000 would be a better choice than the 1000, assuming I don't brick it by doing something stupid
- 6.60 PRO is safe to use
- MicroSD to Pro Duo adapters are safe to use
Right?

I doubt I'll be able to find a CR-5400 (I live in South Africa, with no way to import one), so I might have to try a different adapter.
Lastly, what are all the possible causes of a brick?

vpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what are all the possible causes of a brick?
Usually bricks come from people trying to put a custom firmware for the 1000/2000 on a newer/incompatible PSP, custom themes back in the day, generally playing around with things on the psp nand you not sure of.

a PSP 3000, Using Pro-B10, and with a good speed Micro SD card(s) in an adapter should be fine.

MicroSD to Pro Duo adapters are safe to use?
The single slot micro sd adapters i've used are safe, have not got are dual slot one myself yet.
http://www.dealextre...er-sleeve-12177
http://www.dealextre...-16gb-max-30584

Those two are the ones i've used/use.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: damn