Tutorial on 4.5+ to <4.5 with separated emunand and eshop working correctly

Ok I have seen a lot of confusion so I decided to make a guide on all the steps you need to take to go from higher than 4.5 firmware to lower than 4.5 with separated sysnand and emunand and eshop working normally. I won't go into detail on how every step is performed because there are already threads about them.

1) First you need to run the new Gateway Ultra 3.0.1b exploit and create a backup of your sysnand just to be safe. Keep this file on your PC

2) Then you go ahead and format emunand from gateway menu. (note that your sd card will be formatted so backup your data)

3) Then update your emunand via system menu while on gateway mode (CAREFUL WITH THIS STEP SO YOU DON'T UPDATE YOUR SYSNAND CAUSE IF YOU DO YOU CAN'T USE GATEWAY ANY MORE)

http://www.maxconsole.com/maxcon_forums/threads/286487-3DS-N3DS-Gateway-Ultra-Guide
This is the guide on how to come till here.

4) Now you are at a state that your sysnand and emunand share the same folder. You separate them by booting into sysnand, removing your SD card from 3ds and go to settings and format system memory. This will format your 3ds and erase anything (eshop games, NNID,etc,) but you already have them on emunand on the sd card. After formatting you will have to set up your 3ds again like if you run it for the first time. After setting it up again put your SD card back to your 3ds and let it configure on its own.

Benefits of separating sysnand from emunand is that you won't have to unwrap some of the apps you install every time you boot emunand, and settings like theme selection and folder/app arrangement will be unique on each nand and won't be affected by the other

5) Great now you have separated your sysnand from emunand but there is a problem. When you try to go into eshop from emunand you get an error. This happens because after format NNID info on sysnand are lost so you need to go back on sysnand and enter your existing NNID info on your 3ds. Do not create a new NNID. PUT EXISTING NNID ON SYSNAND NNID. After that you can get into eshop on emunand normally

6) Last step is to boot gateway mode, backup sysnand again and downgrade your 3ds via the gateway downgrade option. After doing so you end up with a 4.5fw sysnand (for EU 3ds, I don't know about US or Japan etc) and your emunand as you left it. Eshop works normally on your emunand and sysnand is separated from emunand.

Benefit of downgrading is that you don't need wifi any more to trigger the exploit. You just run the blue card once to install the exploit and then trigger it from system settings>profile settings>ds profile

Romsstar

Operation Decoded
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks for clearing that up, will try that shorter method mentioned in this thread

I think that's to separate emunand and sysnand but I don't really see the use of it. But then again I don't know much about emunand.
But I guess you could format to get rid of the update nag though.

jimskeet2002

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I think that's to separate emunand and sysnand but I don't really see the use of it. But then again I don't know much about emunand.

The use of it is that if you do not separate them there will be issues like:

-installed and selected themes on emunand will get messed when you are on sysnand and you will have to select theme every time you swap to emunand
-some apps that you install on emunand as cia will prompt you to unwrap every time you swap to emunand from sysnand

Trust me you want your emunand separated from sysnand ;)

Romsstar

Operation Decoded
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The use of it is that if you do not separate them there will be issues like:

-installed and selected themes on emunand will get messed when you are on sysnand and you will have to select theme every time you swap to emunand
-some apps that you install on emunand as cia will prompt you to unwrap every time you swap to emunand from sysnand

Trust me you want your emunand separated from sysnand ;)

Oh good to know then. Thanks.

thedarkmesh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

I got perform a sysNAND format after downgrading due to the EUR PAL 4.x downgrade has a update nag. So I'll make sure eshop works in emuNAND before downgrading and doing a sysNAND format in 4.x

Romsstar

Operation Decoded
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I got perform a sysNAND format after downgrading due to the EUR PAL 4.x downgrade has a update nag. So I'll make sure eshop works in emuNAND before downgrading and doing a sysNAND format in 4.x

You could go either way i guess. Either make sure eshop works in emunand first and then downgrade and format sysnand. or just downgrade first, make emunand, enter eshop and emunand and do the sysnand format after.
I don't think it'll make much of a difference.

thaikhoa

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I don't know about you but on mine and other guys 3dses after we formatted sysnand with sd card out of the 3ds we had to enter NNID on sysnand in order to go into eshop again on emunand.

Don't ever sign in NNID using eShop on the SysNAND so everything should be fine in EmuNAND.

poisonousj

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks skeet for helping folks out with this scenario. I was stumbling through it yesterday and wasn't sure if my replies on here were making any sense but wanted to report my results. So thrilled to be on 4.2u sys and 9.4 emu w/ eshop access!

thedarkmesh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Pretty sure I have logged into eShop in sysNAND in the past so hopefully should work since getting Gateway working on 9.2 (this 3DS has not been used since I got a 4.5 3DS awhile ago, and only dusted off to update to 9.2)

Guess I'll go into emuNAND and download a demo BEFORE doing the downgrade to test it out.

Livin in a box

Livin' in a cardboard box
Trophies
XP
Country
I backed up my SD card and did what was said in the shortened guide, however when I have copied everything back to my big SD card it doesn't pick up any of my games or anything. I'm not too bothered since I can access the eShop fine and just re-download them, but does anyone know why it didn't work correctly?

rinoa123

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
THX for the tutorial.
But I just downgraded before making emuNAND,then make and upgraded my 4.5emuNAND to 9.4 and formatted sysNAND.And eshop works well in 9.4emuNAND.

jimskeet2002

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I backed up my SD card and did what was said in the shortened guide, however when I have copied everything back to my big SD card it doesn't pick up any of my games or anything. I'm not too bothered since I can access the eShop fine and just re-download them, but does anyone know why it didn't work correctly?

Maybe you placed the back up on a wrong folder in the sd card.

gametaku

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Need some help here. I have separated the sysnand and emunand but did not enter the NNID info on 9.x sysnand and straight downgraded to 4.x. On 4.x 3DS, there is no way to enter NNID info on the sysnand. Now i am having error visiting the eShop on emunand.

jimskeet2002

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Need some help here. I have separated the sysnand and emunand but did not enter the NNID info on 9.x sysnand and straight downgraded to 4.x. On 4.x 3DS, there is no way to enter NNID info on the sysnand. Now i am having error visiting the eShop on emunand.

Well I really don't know what could you do at this point. What I would do if I ended up there was to re upgrade with the sysnand update you got right before downgrade. Set up NNID there and then downgrade again back. But I have not tried it and do not know how it would work out.

poisonousj

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You can restore your backed up sysnand that you saved on your SD card by booting into Gateway menu and holding UP on the d-pad when you select the 'downgrade' option. This will put your restore sysnand back to 9.x where you can then enter your NNID information again. Then go back to your emunand and verify you can get into the eshop. Then do the downgrade again.

...if you didn't back up your sysnand, then you're hosed... unless you load a retail cart that has a firmware update that supports NNID like probably smash bros (I'm guessing). then you can offline update your firmware from 4.x to 8.x (I believe, another guess), then put your NNID back on your system and try the process again. This is all theory, I haven't done it myself since I did back up my sysnand and was able to restore to fix the problem. Of course you do NOT want to update your sysnand online cause it will put 9.4 firmware on your sysnand and you'll be REALLY HOSED!!!

good luck!

imreedeer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
I have some questions,

O

1) First you need to run the new Gateway Ultra 3.0.1b exploit and create a backup of your sysnand just to be safe. Keep this file on your PC
If i already updated my emunand to 9.4 using gateway 3.0 I dont need to do this part again with 3.01 right? (i mean, i still need 3.0.1 if i want to downgrade, but i'll follow the downgrade guide AFTER saparating sysnand and emunand.

O
4) Now you are at a state that your sysnand and emunand share the same folder. You separate them by booting into sysnand, removing your SD card from 3ds and go to settings and format system memory. This will format your 3ds and erase anything (eshop games, NNID,etc,) but you already have them on emunand on the sd card. After formatting you will have to set up your 3ds again like if you run it for the first time. After setting it up again put your SD card back to your 3ds and let it configure on its own.

This is probably the most basic question ever, but "booting into sysnand" means "turning my 3DS on, but not using the exploit" right?

5) Great now you have separated your sysnand from emunand but there is a problem. When you try to go into eshop from emunand you get an error. This happens because after format NNID info on sysnand are lost so you need to go back on sysnand and enter your existing NNID info on your 3ds. Do not create a new NNID. PUT EXISTING NNID ON SYSNAND NNID. After that you can get into eshop on emunand normally
Here i just need to put my NNID info right?, i dont need to actually connect to NNID (im scared to go into system setting and then connecting because that gets you out of emuNand)

6) Last step is to boot gateway mode, backup sysnand again and downgrade your 3ds via the gateway downgrade option. After doing so you end up with a 4.5fw sysnand (for EU 3ds, I don't know about US or Japan etc) and your emunand as you left it. Eshop works normally on your emunand and sysnand is separated from emunand.
Last question, i already created a backup into my SD before downgrading, do i need to delete this before backing sysnand again or the system will overwrite it itself?

I know those are a lot of questions, but i'm trying to be really careful here :)

blaydes99

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Alternatively, you can perform the system format while in the Emunand menu, so that you can leave your Sysnand untouched and unformatted. I just did this and it works perfectly, only having to re-setup the Emunand eShop settings, etc.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo