[Tutorial] How to install "Clean" CIA Games onto Sysnand Using Gateway

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Xenon Hacks, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Xenon Hacks
    OP

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Hello gbatemp this is going to be a noob friendly tutorial on installing Pre-installed CIA games onto Sysnand using your gateway card. This can be very helpful if you want to play games from your Sysnand if you don't happen to have your gateway card or have a friend without a gateway card, a 3ds with 9.2, and want to install games for him/her.

Disclaimer ~ Emunand and Sysnand need to be linked.

List of working games ~
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Requirements ~
    A 3DS on 9.2 or lower
    A Gateway 3DS (Red) Card
    Your target CIA - you can use Google to find what you're looking for (first result is what you want).
    BigBlueMenu
    Hexworkshop

Steps ~
    1) Put BigBlueMenu.3ds on the root of your MicroSD card
    2) Run BigBlueMenu (Title Manager) as if you were loading a 3DS game by pressing select in the gateway menu and press right to be over the SDMC tab and find your CIA file
    3) Install the CIA by clicking A to import it into your emunand like normal
    4) Confirm the game is installed by unwrapping it and running the game
    5) Now switch to your pc and install then run Hexworkshop with your SD card plugged in and click on open drive then select physical discs from the tab and find your sd card (should be the size of your sd card) and click OK.
    6) You should see something similar to this
    7) Right click just before the G in Gateway and change the letter to F (Make sure to click save when done) this will allow you to boot into gateway mode while in your Sysnand
    8) Now as you can see Sysnand shows the game is installed but you can't run it
    We can fix this now since our gateway card can now be used while we are in Sysnand
    So go ahead and run BigBlueMenu (Title Manager) and once again find your CIA in the SDMC tab and import it but this time it will attempt to import it into your sysnand but will fail
    9)But now the CIA (Installed game) is ready to be unwrapped in Sysnand :)
    10) Congratulations! :toot: the installed game now shows up and runs in Sysnand without any mods or flashcards and is displayed properly in your saved software titles.

Side notes ~
    To fix or boot into gateway Emunand like normal simply replace that F with a G in hexworkshop
    Also your saves for these games are shared in Sysnand and Emunand

Im not responsible for any corrupt Emunand or Bricks I made this tutorial as user friendly as possible!

geheim, Claros, Margen67 and 3 others like this.
  2. Ra1d

Ra1d GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 31, 2010
    Canada
    Will this work if I buy a legit game in e-Shop in emuNAND (assuming sooner or later a support for 9.6 emuNAND will be released) to transfer it to sysNAND ?

3. Xenon Hacks
    OP

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Pretty sure this will only work with pre-installed games like Mariokart 7 or Pokemon OR/AS since the security ticket would be invalid
    Give it a try on your own system but don't install the game onto someone elses system as it may not run at all

Ra1d likes this.
  4. Xenon Hacks
    OP

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    If anyone has free time and a new3dsxl id like you to try installing multiple games to your Sysnand this way and attempt a system transfer too see if they show up and are playable

5. Rob Blou

Rob Blou GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 16, 2013
    Canada
    I did a emunand system transfer from my 3DS XL to my Emunand N3DS XL and couldn't log in to my NNID and confirm so I cancelled at the end of the process and then used BigBlueMenu to try to reinstall them and I had the exact same message and they showed up :P I'm afraid to try to install anything on my SysNand though

Xenon Hacks likes this.
  6. japram

japram Member

Newcomer
    Feb 2, 2015
    Baliuag, Bulacan
    hi is this process can use with unlink emunand / sysnand basically have two 3ds profile tks.

7. keven3477

keven3477 Fresh Prince of Lemonade

Jul 12, 2012
    United States
    Somewhere you can never find.
    can anyone explain to me about legit and clean cias and how to tell the difference

8. Xenon Hacks
    OP

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    There the games that were preinstalled on 3ds's like the mariokart 7 bundle or the pokemon OR/AS bundles that had there games pre installed these games are universal and can be installed on any 3ds

9. Xenon Hacks
    OP

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Dont think thats a good idea as it will probably break saves

japram likes this.
  10. keven3477

keven3477 Fresh Prince of Lemonade

Jul 12, 2012
    United States
    Somewhere you can never find.
    but is there any way to tell the difference from regular cias

11. Xenon Hacks
    OP

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Unless your source says they're Clean/Legit CIA they pretty much seem the same if someone like cearp can clear things up on behalf of my ignorant ass that would be nice seeing as these games are created from ticket.db and you're the ticket master

12. samiam144

samiam144 RĂ©gulier

Aug 19, 2007
    Canada
    Was you sysnand and emunand linked when you did this?

13. japram

japram Member

Newcomer
    Feb 2, 2015
    Baliuag, Bulacan
    is there a way i can re-link my emunand to sysnand without losing streetpass and or save data to install legit cia

14. Xenon Hacks
    OP

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Yes they were I did not unlink them

15. Xenon Hacks
    OP

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Not sure about re-linking emunand I have not had my gateway for more than a week so theres still somethings im figuring out.

16. samiam144

samiam144 RĂ©gulier

Aug 19, 2007
    Canada
    Okay, so I presume this wouldn't work on unlinked nands due to them having different IDs in the Nintendo 3DS folder

17. Xenon Hacks
    OP

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    That would be correct now that I'm thinking of it ill add that to the tut as a disclaimer but you can always try and see what the results are

samiam144 likes this.
  18. VerseHell

VerseHell GBAtemp Psycho!

Jun 29, 2014
    France
    If you unlinked them by formatting the sysnand, just restore the nand backup you made before it if you have one.

japram and Xenon Hacks like this.
  19. serenade.63

serenade.63 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 17, 2011
    United States
    Can we install these just by not having emunand on the sd card and just booting into gateway mode on sysnand and installing via devmenu/bbb?

20. congzing

congzing GBAtemp Regular

Dec 10, 2014
    Chibaken
    I have some questions:
    - Can it run on New 3ds?
    - After install I can reboot and the game sill on system nand,. I don't need boot to emunand anymore?
    - How many game can do that?