ROM Hack [Tutorial] How to Edit X/Y & OR/AS Saves with Gateway

polarbernd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I can´t use my savedatafiler savegame from CTR Gateway on my cia version of Pokemon Y.
After import of the pokehexed savegame via sdf the game starts with an error.
The message was "The 3DS will only load the exact same save file that it last saved" or something else.
The old main was edited with pokehex and overwritten in the filer folder of the new cia savegame export.

Any ideas?
It´s the european version of Y

SciresM

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can´t use my savedatafiler savegame from CTR Gateway on my cia version of Pokemon Y.
After import of the pokehexed savegame via sdf the game starts with an error.
The message was "The 3DS will only load the exact same save file that it last saved" or something else.
The old main was edited with pokehex and overwritten in the filer folder of the new cia savegame export.

Any ideas?
It´s the european version of Y

1. Read the OP.
2. Note that it specifically talks about CTR cards.
3. Realize that your .cia is not a CTR card.
4. Realize that the error message you got tells you that you can't edit .cia save files.

polarbernd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
It´s not an real CTR, it´s a mounted gateway 3dz
savedatafiler supports cia installed games.
you can pokehex cia savegames, if you export and import it with sdf.
If i pokehex the exported cia savegame, it worked, but only the exported.
Same with the Gateway version.

1. Read the OP.
2. Note that it specifically talks about CTR cards.
3. Realize that your .cia is not a CTR card.
4. Realize that the error message you got tells you that you can't edit .cia save files.

SciresM

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It´s not an real CTR, it´s a mounted gateway 3dz
savedatafiler supports cia installed games.
you can pokehex cia savegames, if you export and import it with sdf.
If i pokehex the exported cia savegame, it worked, but only the exported.
Same with the Gateway version.

You cannot use savedatafiler to edit .cia Pokemon games on gateway, or you get the error you mentioned. I've tried. It only successfully supports CTR card saves.

So, no, you're wrong. If you want to edit your save, play it as a .3ds or .3dz and not as an installed .cia.

polarbernd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
sorry... it worked ;)
Problem solved.

Exported Savegame 0055e to SD, opened in pokehex, edited like my old savegame, import via sdf to the cia.
All fine :3

You cannot use savedatafiler to edit .cia Pokemon games on gateway, or you get the error you mentioned. I've tried. It only successfully supports CTR card saves.

So, no, you're wrong. If you want to edit your save, play it as a .3ds or .3dz and not as an installed .cia.

SciresM

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorry... it worked ;)
Problem solved.

Exported Savegame 0055e to SD, opened in pokehex, edited like my old savegame, import via sdf to the cia.
All fine :3

Yeah, that works fine. It's editing old savegames that's broken due to the u64 stored in nand. You'll run into that a bunch if you use pokebank frequently.

Sorox

Master Firo Soul
OP
Trophies
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Can you please link me to a guide to setting up savedatafiler?
There isn't one as far as I can tell. SDF isnt that hard to use, so I can help for the most part, but if it has anything to do with cia saves, I probably wont be able to do much for you. If you want to dump a save game from Gateway, load it up from Gateway's Select rom menu, open SDF, then press Y while hovering over CTR-CARD. If it has to do with cia's pretty sure someone else will be able to help more.

Ante0

Trophies
XP
Country
Easier way to get the files off the sdcard, without having to turn off 3ds: Use FTPony.
Just start it (after installing it as a cia), and connect to your 3ds from your computer using filezilla or winscp.
Then use the ftp client to browse to your save and download it to your computer. After editing, just upload the edited "main" and close ftpony and import the save again in SaveDataFiler.

Seraphiel

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Hmm i see this hasn't been asked yet but, i got 3 different versions of SDF(in CIA format), 5.2.2, 4.2.8 and 2.3.4. Does it matter which one of them I install?

Ryft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I can confirm this is wrong... I installed Pokemon OR as a cia using blueboxmenu and successfully ripped it with savedatafiler, copied to pc, added hoopa, fixed checksum, and imported back. Loaded up fine.

sgtkwol

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can confirm this is wrong... I installed Pokemon OR as a cia using blueboxmenu and successfully ripped it with savedatafiler, copied to pc, added hoopa, fixed checksum, and imported back. Loaded up fine.

I'm having a problem with oR. Can't import saves, even unedited. Importing to aS works fine.

Ryft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having a problem with oR. Can't import saves, even unedited. Importing to aS works fine.

That's odd... not sure what I did differently. I wonder... I converted a rom with a personal header attached to it. Could that be the issue? Maybe it doesn't work for unheadered cias? I dunno enough about it to say if that matters lol. I also used the -regionfree option when I converted it.

sgtkwol

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's odd... not sure what I did differently. I wonder... I converted a rom with a personal header attached to it. Could that be the issue? Maybe it doesn't work for unheadered cias? I dunno enough about it to say if that matters lol. I also used the -regionfree option when I converted it.

I've tried 3 versions, from all 3 regions. Every time; I back up, change out the main file, restore the save, it fails.

aliak11

Pokemon Master
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After I import my edited save to the cia version I get "the save cannot be used with this version", if I import it to the .3dz id works fine. The weird thing is the save originally came from the cia version.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I haven't played my Switch n a month or so, just been playing Xbox, and just picked to play lil...