ROM Hack [Tutorial] Fix all save problems for Pokémon games (VC GBA)

Asia81

Yuri Lover ~
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Part 1: Fix the save problem
(This is valid for all pokemon games, in every languages)

The first save problem is you can't save on a Pokémon game in CIA.
To resolve it, we need to hex edit the .gba rom.

Open the desired .gba in a hex editor (HxD is highly recommended) and find the following string:
Code:
D0 88 8D 83 42

Edit stricly what is between:
Code:
D0 88 8D 83 42 [AND] 24 10 49 10 68

Replace the XX by 00.
Note: You may find this value twice, so be sure to also do it twice in this case.

Exemple:
1467662833-fix.png

Now it's ok, you'll can save.

You will can save, but you will always see a message "Save data are corrupt, the last save will be loaded".
Even if the game save fine, even if this message is useless because all is fine, even if you can totally ignore it, this message is annoying, so we'll remove it.

Part 2: Remove the save data corrupt message
(This is only valid for Pokémon Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald, and only for english / french languages)

Open the desired .gba in a hex editor (HxD is highly recommended), use Ctrl+G (go to offset), then edit the value, by the other value here:
Code:
-> Ruby and Sapphire [US]
Offset 0098F6: Replace 2B by 3D
Offset 0099A4: Replace 1D by 65

-> Ruby and Sapphire [FR]
Offset 009AC2: Replace 2B by 3D
Offset 009B70: Replace E99B by 319C

-> Emerald [FR/US]
Offset 02F9CC: Replace 5D by B1
Offset 02F9A4: Replace 084802F037FA by 000000000000.

Save the .gba, turn it in .cia, install it, and enjoy.

This tutorial in Video:

And the Proof:

Credits:
@AmeenX for the help on the Part 1
@Tdam01 for offsets found in Part 2

Last edited by Asia81,

Frezgle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't seem to get this to work for Ruby and Sapphire (US).
D0 88 8D 83 42 doesn't exist in the ROM. There's something similar:
6C 08 83 42 00 00 00 24 10 49 10 68
At 1DFAEE in Sapphire and 1DFB5E in Ruby, but as you can see, the equivalent values that would get turned into 00 are already 00.

Frezgle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, regarding that MD patch you just mentioned... Does it fix the issue with quicksaving? Twice now I've had my file erased due to quicksaving corrupting the data (once because I didn't know, and once because I forgot that sending out the call to get rescued forces it.)

noctis90210

Trophies
XP
Country
Reactions: CheatFreak47

Kered13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does this fix work for ROM hacks? I had no trouble getting Pokemon Emerald to work with this, but now I'm trying to get Pokemon Glazed (or Blazed Glazed) to work, and I'm having trouble. With this fix, if I don't save twice, then my save file is deleted when I restart the game. Do you have idea how to fix this?

noctis90210

Trophies
XP
Country
@Asia81

hello, i just need help here...
i used this method and everything works on RSE
but even though its also working on FRLG, theres still the annoying message "save file cant be loaded, previous save will be loaded".
is there any updates on finding the offset (Part 2 for FRLG) that should be modified to prevent these message?

and for the pokemon mystery dungeon, i cant manage to save the game, always tells me "save failed"
and after restarting the game, the game cant detect any save data... :-(

thanks...

dada78641

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
https://filetrip.net/3ds-downloads/...ix-pack-for-pokemon-gba-games-1-0-f33538.html
Here These aught to help ease the crappy hex editing methods.
@Asia81 you asked for a pokemon mystery dungeon patch? @yafeee made one and I ported it to the USA version of the game.

Thanks for making these, applying them now. Though it doesn't seem like the Mystery Dungeon patch has anything in it? The EOF immediately follows the PATCH.
edit: also, a request: could you list the exact ROM names that these patches apply to? There seem to be several rips of these games in circulation, e.g. Leaf Green has to (U)(Independent) rips, one with serial 1637 and one with 1691.

Last edited by dada78641,

ChicagoMel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How are you doing that? I still dont' get it. How do I replace the values in the editor? Part of it is the editor in the video isn't in English.

Elexon6273

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Any chance of getting the offsets for Fire Red and Leaf Green also? The message does get pretty annoying.
Yeah, when is this going to happen, because I have a FireRed ROM Hack I want to fix and and can't get past Step 2 of this tutorial.

I tried patching Pokemon FireRed with this: https://filetrip.net/3ds-downloads/...ix-pack-for-pokemon-gba-games-1-0-f33538.html Then pathing the modified file with the rom hack, but it didn't work.

EDIT: Nvm, it works if you apply the patch in the link directly to the GBA Hack ROM file.

Last edited by Elexon6273,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: +1