Suggestion Tutorial approval

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've noticed a lot of questions being posted in the tutorials forum recently. Could this forum be changed so that new posts won't appear until approved by a moderator? This way offending threads can be redirected to the appropriate forum (and the OP vaporised notified) so the tutorials section doesn't get cluttered with questions.

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
This is still happening a lot. The tutorials section continues to be polluted with questions. If it's not possible for postings in the tutorial forum to be approved, can these forums be restricted in the same way as the marketplace? That way new members won't be able to post in them so will be forced to ask questions in the proper place, and will only be able to post in the tutorials sections when they have more posts (and hence more experience).

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Monitoring every single post would be extremely time consuming and not worth it.
And closing them off would only spread the rampant questions into the rest of the site. Noobs are going to be noobs, making it harder on them isn't going to fix the problem, it's just going to spread it out.
Reporting would be an easier process, that way they can monitor the troubled posts.

Reactions: Muffins

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Monitoring every single post would be extremely time consuming and not worth it.
Yeah, that's why I subsequently suggested restricting those forums to users with 100+ posts like the marketplace.

And closing them off would only spread the rampant questions into the rest of the site. Noobs are going to be noobs, making it harder on them isn't going to fix the problem, it's just going to spread it out.
Reporting would be an easier process, that way they can monitor the troubled posts.
Again, restricting the forum would mean not having to move them or close them. As for noobs being noobs, I think preventing posts in the tutorials section would help. If new users actually go looking for the right place for their question then they might see within that forum that their questions has already been asked rather than just posting in the tutorial section.

It's a good idea but not something we plan to change right now, for the mean time feel free to use the Report function to mark threads that should be moved to another section.
Thanks, I will do. I'm hoping that the forum can be at least restricted to new users as this would be, presumably, a quick fix which would solve the problem and require zero ongoing administration.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Again, restricting the forum would mean not having to move them or close them. As for noobs being noobs, I think preventing posts in the tutorials section would help. If new users actually go looking for the right place for their question then they might see within that forum that their questions has already been asked rather than just posting in the tutorial section.
Yes and no, take my thread for example, it's there to make life easier by making sure every single helpful thread out there is in one nice little place. It's made to be asked questions on and post threads in reply, then the threads get added to the thread. Basically, made to eliminate the need to search or look very heard to find the best threads and it was even stickied to make thing things even easier. There is also 3DS NOOB PARADISE, which is made to ask all your questions without judgement.
You would think being provided with these kinds of threads, that it would slow down the large quantities of questions that these threads cover, but the the truth is, they really haven't made that big an impact. They do help those who go to them to get the help, but for the most part, people just ignore them.
This isn't a GBATemp exclusive issue, going to any forums, you find these kinds of things happening as well.
Although, it would be nice to see something like, "You need 100 posts," to post in these threads. I am not entirely confident it will fix the problem completely.
Then again, I could easily be wrong. Personally, I don't object to the idea, I am just a skeptical person.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @Skelletonike first time I hear of stellar blade